Pregame: Illinois at Maryland, Saturday, October 27th, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure, why at this stage, there is competition at the QB spot. IMHO, we should run with MJ.

But, ...........................................

Deleted member 29907

D
Not sure, why at this stage, there is competition at the QB spot. IMHO, we should run with MJ.

But, ...........................................
I am guessing if it were still AJ they would have said so. Practice gives you some things, but i suspect they are making a call based on game performance last week with just a bit of input based on practice.

I really like the ILLFBBreakdown videos. From watching the defensive vs Wisconsin: #41 Marchese does not need to be out there, our safeties are not good in Cover 2 and allow just about anything to be completed in front of them, #30 Brown (who I really like) is going to get picked on in man coverage. Eyes always in the backfield. Biggest issue is the safeties pass coverage.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I am guessing if it were still AJ they would have said so. Practice gives you some things, but i suspect they are making a call based on game performance last week with just a bit of input based on practice.

The thing you can't simulate in practice is facing a live rush and unfortunately AJ's footwork just falls to pieces in those scenarios. Combined with his already funky mechanics, it has not been a pretty picture the last couple of games. MJ threatens more of the field and makes us tougher to defend, he ought to be the starter going forward.

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
Turtles 31
Illini 20
Our defense is too bad to overcome. But I'll take Illinois and the current 18 pt. spread for what that's worth.

breadman

Herndon, VA
will be there in section 4! any other pregame festivities without a 20$ entrance fee?

The Alumni section up in section 303 is $20 plus a 4 dollar processing fee. The lower level section, 103, is $50 plus the fee. Don't know about any other pregame stuff going on.
Anybody know if the Marching Illini are going to make an appearance? Being the first time we are playing at their place...just had the thought...

breadman

Herndon, VA
I really like the ILLFBBreakdown videos. From watching the defensive vs Wisconsin: #41 Marchese does not need to be out there, our safeties are not good in Cover 2 and allow just about anything to be completed in front of them, #30 Brown (who I really like) is going to get picked on in man coverage. Eyes always in the backfield. Biggest issue is the safeties pass coverage.

I also enjoy watching these videos. A great addition to this season, and hopefully more seasons to come.
Now one thing that has caught my eye is the play of the speedster freshman Sydney Brown. I am sure he is out there because of his speed. So, as I watch him make a beeline for where he needs to be on just about any play, the runner makes a cut and there is Brown getting all kinds of turned around, like over and over again. It is kind of comical if it wasn't more a bit sad. I keep telling myself that he is a freshman. The football intelligence of learning to adjust ahead of time will come with football age.

The thing you can't simulate in practice is facing a live rush and unfortunately AJ's footwork just falls to pieces in those scenarios. Combined with his already funky mechanics, it has not been a pretty picture the last couple of games. MJ threatens more of the field and makes us tougher to defend, he ought to be the starter going forward.

I really think this guy has all the tools. Just needs experience.

18 pt underdog to Maryland...if we can't play well enough to beat this spread, i have a hard time seeing how we win another game this year.

I am likely in the minority here, but I would like to see both QB's get time on Saturday. I think showing Maryland different looks throughout game could keep them on their heels and Bush's legs and Rivers' arm are both useful weapons

I am likely in the minority here, but I would like to see both QB's get time on Saturday. I think showing Maryland different looks throughout game could keep them on their heels and Bush's legs and Rivers' arm are both useful weapons

Unless it is 3rd/4th down and 2 or less, or we are within the 10 yard line(read: obvious running downs), highly disagree. Rotating a freshman QB in and out is not a recipe for success. If MJ is the starter, let him be the starter. AJ used for specific packages. If you recall the lone TD against Purdue we ran a full house backfield with Bush, Bonner, Epstein, and Corbin. That is 4 runningbacks and something that I would totally agree we could use AJ in.

Unless it is 3rd/4th down and 2 or less, or we are within the 10 yard line(read: obvious running downs), highly disagree. Rotating a freshman QB in and out is not a recipe for success. If MJ is the starter, let him be the starter. AJ used for specific packages. If you recall the lone TD against Purdue we ran a full house backfield with Bush, Bonner, Epstein, and Corbin. That is 4 runningbacks and something that I would totally agree we could use AJ in.

That's kinda what I envisioned. I'm not talking about an equal split necessarily but a few series or spots go to AJ based on game flow. I think there is still value to be extracted with him at QB for a portion of the game

Maryland 33-20. Hope I’m wrong.

Forgot about Tre Watson going to Maryland....

It's so disheartening when our defense plays well enough to force a 3rd and long, and you're watching with a hand over your eyes because you're 99% certain they're going to convert.

Maryland- 38
Illini- 17

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
18 pt underdog to Maryland...if we can't play well enough to beat this spread, i have a hard time seeing how we win another game this year.

Yeah I was surprised by that line. Vegas has given up on us.

We're 3-4 ATS so far this year. Going 4-1 or better down the stretch is a worthy goal, it would show improvement even if we don't do quite enough to win.

Maryland is totally mediocre, we should be able to cover 18.

Deleted member 654622

D
It's so disheartening when our defense plays well enough to force a 3rd and long, and you're watching with a hand over your eyes because you're 99% certain they're going to convert.

Maryland- 38
Illini- 17
You can probably count on one hand the amount of times this defense has even forced a 3rd and long opportunity

breadman

Herndon, VA
For those attending, the forecast is getting better. It predicts the rain will stop by noon. Let's hope.

That stats comparison between Maryland and us was ... encouraging? I hate to get my hopes back up for this season, but this is a winnable game. Sucks it's on the road. If we can take this one, there is no reason we don't stand a chance vs. Minnesota, Nebraska and even a Northwestern team that beat Rutgers by 3.

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
That stats comparison between Maryland and us was ... encouraging? I hate to get my hopes back up for this season, but this is a winnable game. Sucks it's on the road. If we can take this one, there is no reason we don't stand a chance vs. Minnesota, Nebraska and even a Northwestern team that beat Rutgers by 3.

Haven't gotten tired of drinking the Kool-Aid yet? Clearly you've forgotten about our worst, by far, in the B1G defense (510 ypg vs. next closest Nebraska 449 ypg). Our offense is not going to be able to cover for the defense in any game they pay to their norm of 510 ypg and 34 ppg.

Haven't gotten tired of drinking the Kool-Aid yet? Clearly you've forgotten about our worst, by far, in the B1G defense (510 ypg vs. next closest Nebraska 449 ypg). Our offense is not going to be able to cover for the defense in any game they pay to their norm of 510 ypg and 34 ppg.

Of course I'm "tired" of drinking the Kool-Aid. I am a fan of Illini athletics, and I am sick of being disappointed over and over again, and a part of me - at least until we are at a 2000s basketball level of consistent competitiveness again in something - will always expect the worst. It sucks. However, I try to both not be a straight homer who believes blindly and not let negativity go to my head either. On paper, I think this is a winnable game.

Deleted member 654622

D
Of course I'm "tired" of drinking the Kool-Aid. I am a fan of Illini athletics, and I am sick of being disappointed over and over again, and a part of me - at least until we are at a 2000s basketball level of consistent competitiveness again in something - will always expect the worst. It sucks. However, I try to both not be a straight homer who believes blindly and not let negativity go to my head either. On paper, I think this is a winnable game.
This is a winnable game. Just because we are the dogs here doesn't mean it is beyond the realm of possibility.
It is actually more of a measuring stick game for us. Kind of what we thought the Purdue game was, until Purdue beat the poo out of Ohio State. Maryland is farther along in their rebuild process than we are. Now they have had a major setback this year with the off the field issues. But they will have superior athletes on the field. If we get hammered, we are definitely farther back in the rebuild than originally planned. If it is competitive, we got a chance to win 2 more games the rest of the year. If we win...well lets cross that bridge later.

Status
Not open for further replies.