Pregame: Illinois at Michigan, Saturday, January 25th, 11:00am CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sprouting Divot

Invisible and Bulletproof
Miracle Mile
Same. It seems like people project what they want.

Tevian has played 13 more minutes than Samson, who is last on the team in minutes. And Tevian has scored 1 more point than Samson (3 for the season). If you're that low on the depth chart, it seems wishful thinking to say he'll both get the call, and perform well. Never say never, but moving up on the depth chart from AG's suspension isn't likely to get him a lot of minutes unless he's turned it around in practice or someone else goes down.

I don't disagree, but just think of how many times "some scrub off the bench" has torched us for a career high game over the last however long your memory is. Fingers crossed that Tevian becomes a forgettable assassin to Michigan fans tomorrow...

In the midst of awarding ourselves the Big 10 championship, probably best to remember that most Big 10 games are slug fests.
And it only takes a hot shooting night, likes our against Purdue, to make the difference between winning and losing.
Obviously, 3 road wins would be sweet.
Illni tshirt.jpeg

Big Jack

Decatur
Hey any of you tech geniuses know how I can watch the game tomorrow on internet. Traveling but not seeing it on the Fox Sport app. Is Fox Sport 1 different? Thanks

Hey any of you tech geniuses know how I can watch the game tomorrow on internet. Traveling but not seeing it on the Fox Sport app. Is Fox Sport 1 different? Thanks

Make sure you have the illini has a favorite team. This is my current view of the app. (This is how I watch all the games)

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200124-184450_FOX Sports.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200124-184450_FOX Sports.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 249
I think the motivation will get played up, especially with AG being out the next 2 games. BU will push that button to motivate his kids (Ayo) why not us, why not us....now go and win a couple!!!
Same. It seems like people project what they want.

Tevian has played 13 more minutes than Samson, who is last on the team in minutes. And Tevian has scored 1 more point than Samson (3 for the season). If you're that low on the depth chart, it seems wishful thinking to say he'll both get the call, and perform well. Never say never, but moving up on the depth chart from AG's suspension isn't likely to get him a lot of minutes unless he's turned it around in practice or someone else goes down.

I worry Tevian just doesn’t get it. He gets in the game—tries to make a big play. Fails. Immediately comes out of the game. He’ll go for a steal–miss, and give up a lay-up. He’s out of the game. Touches the ball and jacks up an immediate 3. He’s out of the game.

I really hope that we incorporate him as part of the game plan tomorrow and he produces.

I worry Tevian just doesn’t get it. He gets in the game—tries to make a big play. Fails. Immediately comes out of the game. He’ll go for a steal–miss, and give up a lay-up. He’s out of the game. Touches the ball and jacks up an immediate 3. He’s out of the game.

I really hope that we incorporate him as part of the game plan tomorrow and he produces.

Maybe he should stop making so many mistakes then? Might keep him in the game longer...

I don't disagree, but just think of how many times "some scrub off the bench" has torched us for a career high game over the last however long your memory is. Fingers crossed that Tevian becomes a forgettable assassin to Michigan fans tomorrow...
My first thought was more Tevian. But then my next thought was more DW. I would expect more DW.

You're pretty late to that party. We have a 57% chance to finish top 4. Very well within reach even if we lose to Michigan and Iowa.

Two, totally, different parties.

While he relies on KenPom and recomputes, mine are more absolute numbers, based on my own rudimentary stats. So, while his percentages will change with each B10 game, mine will not. My post - starting a convo after the MI game - was in response to an earlier post "awfully difficult to avoid a conversation" if we win at MI.

I am on record that at worst we go 10-2 for the remainder of the season, 2-1 in the BTT, and top 16 in the dance. 100%.

I think we will do better. Let us see. 1st stop Ann Arbor, MI. Good guys: 10-20 win.

Deleted member 29907

D
Maybe he should stop making so many mistakes then? Might keep him in the game longer...
If we want to see what / if he can produce, he needs some time for the game to slow down for him. Clearly he is pressing and its not helping his cause. He's trying to hit the early big shot to show he should be in there. There was some screaming at AG last year (and some early this year) until he settled in. I'm not saying it'll click, but boy, missing the early part of the season has really hurt him. He's now competing against teams/players that have been on the court a lot this year already. And let's face it, our entire team was in disarray early in the year, but we were able to work it out over time. BU mentioned his name in the presser - we shall see.

If we want to see what / if he can produce, he needs some time for the game to slow down for him. Clearly he is pressing and its not helping his cause. He's trying to hit the early big shot to show he should be in there. There was some screaming at AG last year (and some early this year) until he settled in. I'm not saying it'll click, but boy, missing the early part of the season has really hurt him. He's now competing against teams/players that have been on the court a lot this year already. And let's face it, our entire team was in disarray early in the year, but we were able to work it out over time. BU mentioned his name in the presser - we shall see.

Could Tevian stay in the game on being a defensive stopper He has played so little, hard to judge his potential.

Could Tevian stay in the game on being a defensive stopper He has played so little, hard to judge his potential.

He hasn't shown that he can stop anyone to date, why would Michigan be suddenly any different? Tev is a kid with what I believe has some serious talent, not sure he can get himself to apply what he is coached correctly enough to put it all together?

I’d love to see Tev get 10 mins against UM and for him to have a net positive impact on a win. But evidently BU isn’t seeing enough from him to indicate that would be the case. So does he risk a loss to get Tev more time?

I have the same feeling about Tev’s situation this year as I did last year when people where clamoring for Tev and AG to get more time because the season was shot and might as well get them experience. I posted then something like BU was trying to change a culture and any when was important to do that and everyone on that team deserved to have BU do everything to get those wins. And I think those few wins the Illini got in conference last year are paying big dividends this. And now this year the stakes are even higher.

If BU thinks playing Tev more time will help the team, then great. But if he doesn’t I’m fine with that. I want to see the Illini back in the tourney and hopefully making a deep run. Getting Tev more minutes so we can see what we have with him is such a distant second it’s not — heck it’s so distant I can’t even think of a good analogy. Tev has his chance to earn time and he blew it. He still has a chance to earn at least a little more time and I hope he can earn it and excels. But if he’s not doing what BU wants in practices or games to earn it, I’m not OK just giving him time and potentially messing with what is looking like a very good season.

I’d love to see Tev get 10 mins against UM and for him to have a net positive impact on a win. But evidently BU isn’t seeing enough from him to indicate that would be the case. So does he risk a loss to get Tev more time?

I have the same feeling about Tev’s situation this year as I did last year when people where clamoring for Tev and AG to get more time because the season was shot and might as well get them experience. I posted then something like BU was trying to change a culture and any when was important to do that and everyone on that team deserved to have BU do everything to get those wins. And I think those few wins the Illini got in conference last year are paying big dividends this. And now this year the stakes are even higher.

If BU thinks playing Tev more time will help the team, then great. But if he doesn’t I’m fine with that. I want to see the Illini back in the tourney and hopefully making a deep run. Getting Tev more minutes so we can see what we have with him is such a distant second it’s not — heck it’s so distant I can’t even think of a good analogy. Tev has his chance to earn time and he blew it. He still has a chance to earn at least a little more time and I hope he can earn it and excels. But if he’s not doing what BU wants in practices or games to earn it, I’m not OK just giving him time and potentially messing with what is looking like a very good season.
How about Twice a Prince vs Secretariat in the Belmont 1973 for your distant second. Had to look that up. I thought it was Sham but Sham eventually faded to last. 31 lengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.