Pregame: Illinois at Michigan State, Saturday, November 9th, 2:30pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Is it too much to ask for complete annihilation of MSU on the road, so we can enjoy a bye week of chatter on how we've emerged as a team that no one wants to play and Lovie Smith has succeeded in raising this program from the ashes?

Because that's what I want.

Can't compare those stats year over year without considering the competitive inbalance of last year. We have been in closer games this year than last year. We are not playing against our foes 2nd and 3rd string while down 40 points.

Ill will take last years rushing but this year's passing (Perers, receiving corps).
I think we are a more balanced team this year

Hoping the Spartans are psyching themselves out between their losing streak, losing key players, questions about their coach, and our momentum. Vegas favoring them to win could potentially cause them to implode if they start off sloppy. There are expectations that a program like MSU handles the Illini at home. Like I’ve said, we need to come out hot. Go up by 10+ early and a floundering MSU team may not have the mojo to get back in it. I’m looking for sweeping camera shots full of dazed and distressed Spartan fans.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Feeling the most confidence in or team since the 6-0 start under Zook.

ILL 23
MSU 20

.....in Overtime

IlliniRocketFan

Rochester, IL
OK....I don't post much and after this you all might understand why. I believe that if we are winning or keeping it close at halftime, it's our game. If you look at the second half against every team from Michigan to now, our halftime adjustments have been spot on. I would love for us to come out and punch them quick and hard, but I will not get too concerned as long as it is close at halftime. I will wait until after the 3rd qtr to get worried. Just my 2 cents.

Deleted member 645583

D
Don't think I want this developing team clobbered by The Ohio State University.

How about sending Minnesota? :)
Excuse me: that should be AN Ohio state university. Can I trademark the word "AN" ?

No offense to you; liked your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK....I don't post much and after this you all might understand why. I believe that if we are winning or keeping it close at halftime, it's our game. If you look at the second half against every team from Michigan to now, our halftime adjustments have been spot on. I would love for us to come out and punch them quick and hard, but I will not get too concerned as long as it is close at halftime. I will wait until after the 3rd qtr to get worried. Just my 2 cents.

I think that’s the way I feel too. If we’re winning or down by less than a TD, I think we’ll win outright.

I was surprised to see we actually beat MSU the last time we played them because it has been since 2016, lol... I guess the time before that was in 2013 (the 42-3 loss mentioned above) and before that, 2010. We have played them shockingly little!

Kind of have the feeling this is like the Minny game but lower scoring. Close, but win #6 looks like NW to me. Hoping I'm wrong.

MSU- 21
Illini- 9

Deleted member 645583

D
Don't have a gut feeling about this game. I just dion't know. All i know is that Illlini need one more win to be bowl eligible. Do it, Illlini!

C'mon! It means so much to the program and us - the long-suffering fans. Do it for you, then for us.

GO ILLINI!

I think that this game is all going to come down to defense. Their offense has struggled and so has ours. If our defense can cause some turnovers and takeaways we have a chance. Let’s hope that our guys come out fired up.

I think we need three or four near-miracle plays to win (as we did against Wisconsin). If we get one or two early (as we did against Nebraska), I'll be hopping with excitement.

One of my kids has been babbling since 3:30, so I guess I’m up and ready. When does the game start? 230? Gah.

need turnovers, need Peters to hit on some passes. An early defensive score could really shock Sparty.

breadman

Herndon, VA
One of my kids has been babbling since 3:30, so I guess I’m up and ready. When does the game start? 230? Gah.

need turnovers, need Peters to hit on some passes. An early defensive score could really shock Sparty.

As somebody has already stated, I am also cautiously optimistic about this game.

I think Peters has been underrated all season.

I can't remember the last time the offense turned the ball over and that has to continue, which I'm sure the MSU defense is targeting.

Lewerke is prone to bad decision making. Our defense should get opportunities as a result. That alone should keep it close, particularly if Peters doesn't try to do too much.

Man, you know there is a lot of excitement when there are 12 pages in the PREGAME thread !
Are we a football school now?

Don't have a gut feeling about this game. I just dion't know. All i know is that Illlini need one more win to be bowl eligible. Do it, Illlini!

C'mon! It means so much to the program and us - the long-suffering fans. Do it for you, then for us.

GO ILLINI!

LOL...come on, man! There are two Ls in Illini. One 3-L Illini could be forgiven, but two?! You had one job!

Agree with the sentiment. :)

It
Is it too much to ask for complete annihilation of MSU on the road, so we can enjoy a bye week of chatter on how we've emerged as a team that no one wants to play and Lovie Smith has succeeded in raising this program from the ashes?

Because that's what I want.
A simple ask!

It'd be nice if we could get this win. I don't want our bowl hopes to come down to Northwestern.

Status
Not open for further replies.