Pregame: Illinois at Michigan State, Thursday, January 2nd, 7:00pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope we're competitive. I don't want to be depressed watching us try to claw back from a 15 point deficit with the team looking like they're clueless. I think being at the Mizzou game really damaged me :LOL:

Deleted member 29907

D
That went off the rail pretty quick. I responded with an O to your O. Never said anything about being a hater or needing to fall in line.

Talking about Winston as a whole (not his game performances against us last year, which mattered not a wit in any final outcome) his tournament games in the B1G & NCAA's last season were something to behold (and, the chucker, Edwards, wasn't far behind). Earned B1G POY by the same people who (deservedly) name Kofi POW, week after week.

FAIK, he may have reached his pinnacle last year but he's putting up similar numbers as last year and surrounded by less talent. I love his heart and what he does for his team. Very unselfish, makes his team better and comes through under the lights.

Should be a good game tonight and we'll see what everybody does.
Yeah, that part was in response to another poster - sorry for the confusion. Let's just all hope Brad remembers what worked (being a relative term of course) last year and not sit back and let him pick us apart. We've managed to bother him a few years in a row now - lets keep up the trend. Never let a team's best player beat you. Unfortunately for us, it always seems to be 'career day' guy.

Yet he didn't show up in any of the leading stats lines. Maybe you're thinking of that chucker Carsen Edwards? Never said he wasn't a great player, just not quite up to the hype he's made out to be all year. There are other guards in this league alone we've had more problems with staying in front of and harassing. Heck we force a good amount of turnovers over the last two years from him than probably anyone else (too lazy to look it up - but it seems in the 8ish per game as I recall). Yes, he's still going to get his points, but if he gives away that many TOs to us, that's giving back alot.

Again, my opinion, but I think he could have reached his ceiling last year with the team they had. Could i be wrong - certainly. But if the refs ever start calling his use of his free arm to get by people (much like they call the Giorgi chicken wing) they'd take away 1/4 of his game. His dribbling is ok, his ability to use what the refs allow him to get away with - is stellar.

What amazes me is that someone with an opinion who doesn't "fall in line with the crowd" is assumed to be a hater or have some alternative motive. Strange world we live in, but i guess its an easier response.
I think that a lot of your analysis is correct but, you seem to throw a negative or putdown with every compliment. Winston has easily been the best all around guard in the conference the last two seasons, imo. I could care less if you don't fall in line with the crowd. You just seem to go out of your way to consistently criticize a guy that, I don't think has the athleticism to stay in the NBA but, has been remarkable as a college player. Very unselfish and sees things that others don't.

Deleted member 29907

D
I think that a lot of your analysis is correct but, you seem to throw a negative or putdown with every compliment. Winston has easily been the best all around guard in the conference the last two seasons, imo. I could care less if you don't fall in line with the crowd. You just seem to go out of your way to consistently criticize a guy that, I don't think has the athleticism to stay in the NBA but, has been remarkable as a college player. Very unselfish and sees things that others don't.
I agree with all compliments of unselfish, etc. believe me, i don't dislike the guy. It's not a put down or negative comment to call out something I think is a weakness in his game any more than I'd call you a blind fan-boy for saying all the positive things above or if I called out a weakness in one of our players. I do think there are weaknesses in his game re: ball handling and quickness as an elite PG. IMO he very smartly compensates for that. No more than just my opinion.

Seriously consider if he would have been the best overall guard if he had been on Northwestern last year. As with any player, the team you are on, the coach you have impacts that to quite an extent. I have my doubts, you may not. To each his or her own.

With that, that's my opinion, its not going to change based on just conversation unless I see something different this year - so I'll leave this as my last comment on the subject so as to not bore the crowd.

Go Illini. Let's play with passion.

Illini_1979

Oregon
Let's hope this isn't the game where Kofi gets in foul trouble. We will need him to have a chance.

Would love to see Trent get going. He averaged 2.5 3s made on 6.2 attempts last year. This year down to 1.7 on 4.6 attempts.
I would love to see Tev get going but it seems that AG has surpassed Tev and they are similar players. AG has been described as an elite shooter and i believe BU.. He seems more physical plus is doing the right things in the classroom and off the court. II wish I hope we see Tev and he plays well and that he realizes the opportunity he has wasted but hopefully he learns from it and he plays well going forward.
I hope DW can knock open shots like he did the other night too that would be amazing because he is solid in other aspects of his game

WE can certainly win this game if we play well. We have the ability to win this game. We match up better now than last season plus they lost a key player. I dont see MSU asone of the leagues best 2 teams i just dont without Langford. Is it all Izzo or do your really feel they have a much better starting 5 and couple reserves than we do., We just need to win a game like this. If we quit turning over the damn ball we can win tonight

philcon

Plano, TX
While I'd like to have a positive attitude towards this game I can't get past Underwood's on the road record not to mention it's against Izzo. My guess is MSU 74 IL 65

Status
Not open for further replies.