Pregame: Illinois at Nebraska, Monday, January 15th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefIlliniwek

Omaha, Nebraska
Different coach and team - suggest doing it, unless you don't mind being surrounded by people in red.

Oh really? Thought Weber was still on our sidelines.

I've gone to each of the Nebraska/Illinois football games in Lincoln since they joined the B1G. I'm no stranger to being surrounded by annoying people in red. Monday evening games just aren't convenient for me though.

:chief:

Dan

Admin
Underwood: Well we obviously got out of shooting funk in the 1st half vs. Iowa. Challenging game given our health situation. Wasn't going to play Mark Smith but out of necessity. Leron has been sick for some time.

Underwood: They scored from the free-throw line on silly fouls. And then a 10-0 run to start the half. Whooped us on the glass. That one is behind us.

Underwood: Nebraska has a good backcourt. They can shoot it. Copeland gives them a different dynamic. Great environment.. Heard a lot about it.

Underwood: Yesterday was Mark Smith's first full practice in 5 or 6 days.

Underwood: No change in the status of Te'Jon Lucas. He will not be traveling with us.

Underwood: Trent's energy in practice has been incredible the last 2 days. Even better than he was the other night. Hoping that can be contagious.

Underwood: You find out the character and personality about your time in times of adversity. Find out if the locker room becomes divided or comes together. Find out what kind of man you are.

Underwood: Feel like Trent's swagger and confidence is oozing into our locker room. This team has shown that they're capable with three overtime losses. We're not far off. Can't let discouragement be the voice of reason.

Underwood: Michael (Finke) has got a tremendous amount of pride. Every day he's in early shooting. Had a long conversation with him yesterday. He's asking what can I do & what can I learn. He's hard on himself. I expect him to play well against Neb & the rest of the year.

Underwood: Have to look at getting Greg more minutes. Greg's athleticism & ability to rim-run creates problems for opponents. Creates space. Playing with tremendous confidence. Best 2 days of practice the last few days.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247
[youtube]4XcZmsjiycA[/youtube]

Last edited:

Chris Yates

Recruiting Correspondent
Michigan
Let the Te'jon transfer speculation begin.

Hard to see a meaningful role for him once Ayo arrives. Can't keep Trent off the floor, and Te'Jon isn't a shooting guard by any stretch of the imagination. Too bad, but it is what it is.

We ask players to be loyal to our alma mater, lets return the loyalty when the chips are down. I've done my share of dumb things. Go Tejon, get on the right path.

I am pulling for Tejon. He is a great player with a bright future. Kids make mistakes and they deserve a second chance. I don't believe he is transferring. Here's a thought....lets all get behind the team. All of the team. Prediction - Illini with their 1st of many big ten wins this season.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
I am pulling for Tejon. He is a great player with a bright future. Kids make mistakes and they deserve a second chance. I don't believe he is transferring. Here's a thought....lets all get behind the team. All of the team. Prediction - Illini with their 1st of many big ten wins this season.

+1

Until I hear otherwise, Tejon is a valuable member of the team, and I'll be rooting for him. It's been a tough situation for him on the court given TF's rise. But he still has an important role to play, and I fully support him.

Hopefully we'll see him on the court soon. And hopefully whatever mistake he made is a relatively minor one.

As for the game, I think this team is still figuring themselves out and learning about themselves within BU's system. At some point it'll click, and when that happens, I think we have a solid shot at beating anybody - particularly if they don't have a high level big man inside. Tonight could be that time, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Illini by 7!

foby

Bonnaroo Land
We ask players to be loyal to our alma mater, lets return the loyalty when the chips are down. I've done my share of dumb things. Go Tejon, get on the right path.

I've done your share of dumb things too. Go Tejon.

Unfortunately, the chips will fall where they may...can't see TJL getting many minutes next year, and this "tough love" may be enough to reinforce an idea that he and the staff may already be dwelling on. Seems like a great kid, however, he will and already has been over recruited with Smith/Frazier/Williams and now Ayo and whom else coming in?

“We’ll find out if the locker room becomes more divided or more together. I happen to think this locker room comes together.

Interesting point to make in an article, phrased this way. Most coaches would only mention that the team is coming together, believing in one another, etc...

More divided, seems to refer to some internal conflicts possibly?:chief:

I don't take too much into that wording....he uses the quantifier on the other side too.

It's a group dynamic, things are never static. I think we are all so used to Groce's always positive speech that having a straight shooter like BU will take some getting used to. He isn't carefully measuring out his words to make sure no ones feeling get hurt. He's like "Hey in this situation, things could get better or go down the crapper, I think they will get better"

And as much as this season is driving me crazy...I can't wait for tonight's game.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
I don't take too much into that wording....he uses the quantifier on the other side too.

It's a group dynamic, things are never static. I think we are all so used to Groce's always positive speech that having a straight shooter like BU will take some getting used to. He isn't carefully measuring out his words to make sure no ones feeling get hurt. He's like "Hey in this situation, things could get better or go down the crapper, I think they will get better"

And as much as this season is driving me crazy...I can't wait for tonight's game.

Agree. I'm sure there IS some strife in the locker room right now. Losing brings it out. You've got the Groce holdovers in many instances losing playing time to the newcomers, you've got a fire breathing coach kicking !!! and taking names instead of holding hands and singing kumbaya, there's a leadership void that is starting to be filled by a freshman instead of an upperclassman the way most would expect, and you're losing.

So yeah, I'm guessing there's a divide forming in the locker room between the players who are used to losing and having a more mellow existence and the guys who hate to lose and will bust their asses to win. Some wins would probably do wonders to heal it but ya gotta get that streak started at some point.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Agree. I'm sure there IS some strife in the locker room right now. Losing brings it out. You've got the Groce holdovers in many instances losing playing time to the newcomers, you've got a fire breathing coach kicking !!! and taking names instead of holding hands and singing kumbaya, there's a leadership void that is starting to be filled by a freshman instead of an upperclassman the way most would expect, and you're losing.

So yeah, I'm guessing there's a divide forming in the locker room between the players who are used to losing and having a more mellow existence and the guys who hate to lose and will bust their asses to win. Some wins would probably do wonders to heal it but ya gotta get that streak started at some point.

+ 1,000,000,000

So yeah, I'm guessing there's a divide forming in the locker room between the players who are used to losing and having a more mellow existence and the guys who hate to lose and will bust their asses to win.

Slightly agree. if you watched the post game, Frazier was one of the players at the speakers table and he had his head in his hand basically the entire time. Shows he was frustrated. It was a good response, and not saying AJ (the other player) was wrong by not showing that kind of emotion.

I dont necessarily think its a Groce recruits vs. newbies thing. Im not a huge fan of this rhetoric that theres this huge losing culture around the team right now and thats whats keeping us down, but I will admit that losses dont seem to have the effect you would expect on these kids, its obvious.

The only solution at this point is to start winning. If any team has ever been at the cusp of winning, its this team right here.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Slightly agree. if you watched the post game, Frazier was one of the players at the speakers table and he had his head in his hand basically the entire time. Shows he was frustrated. It was a good response, and not saying AJ (the other player) was wrong by not showing that kind of emotion.

I dont necessarily think its a Groce recruits vs. newbies thing. Im not a huge fan of this rhetoric that theres this huge losing culture around the team right now and thats whats keeping us down, but I will admit that losses dont seem to have the effect you would expect on these kids, its obvious.

The only solution at this point is to start winning. If any team has ever been at the cusp of winning, its this team right here.

ILLINI SPORTS: NEVER BEEN CLOSER

I think we win this one.
Nobody but us follows Illinois.
Nobody but us knows that half of the team was gassed with the flu last week.
Nobody.
But us.

We've got this.
#beachhouse

I think you seriously underestimate gamblers and oddsmakers...

I am looking forward to the Watson/Frazier matchup tonight. I personally would have loved to have had Watson as an ILLINI, but I LOVE having the guards that we do now. This matchup should be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.