Pregame: Illinois at Nebraska, Saturday, November 10th, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadman

Herndon, VA
So far the Lincoln, Nebby forecast is dry, partly cloudy, high of 43 with 10 to 20 mph winds.

2-6 with one of the two wins over small school Bethune-Cookman.
If you base your judgement of Nebraska based soley on how and who they lost to, their season looks very, very similar to ours. A 41-24 loss to Wisconsin, 42-28 loss to Purdue, and a 53-28 win against MInny. We didn't lose to a G5 opponent like Troy, but Troy isn't like most G5 teams. They got man handled by Michigan, but have absolutely played better the past 4 games.

They should be favorited, I agree with others that 10-12ish sounds right for a home game for them, 18 is stealing money if you ask me, especially after our showing last week.

Deleted member 11196

D
2-6 with one of the two wins over small school Bethune-Cookman.

Well, I think you're discounting their 36-31 loss to tOSU - which is a pretty good team.... and that was in Columbus..

I don't think anyone is going out on a limb by suggesting a win is 'possible'. 'Likely' would need some rational defense in this case.

BZuppke

Plainfield
We need a great offensive effort and some picks on D. If we score a lot and thwart some of their opportunities it can be won.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I know you're suppose to take one game at a time, but can we please commit to winning out? I mean, really, why the hell not? Reproduce the Minny game 3 more times and there you go!

Deleted member 11196

D
I don't think anyone is going out on a limb by suggesting a win is 'possible'. 'Likely' would need some rational defense in this case.

I was responding to a poster who said: 'Nebraska should be a winnable game'... That sounded pretty definitive to me... JMHO

With all due respect, I don't get why many think Nebraska is a winnable game in Lincoln.... They have been getting better and better each week, and just gave tOSU a big-time run for their money. We would have to play a near perfect game, while they stumble badly... And I don't think it will happen in Lincoln. Please explain why you think this is possible... respectfully

1) it's a trap game between OSU and MSU; 2) their lines aren't that good; 3) They've been getting better, what about us? They have 2 wins, one over Minny, the other over Bethune Cookman, so yeah, they keep getting better and they're 2-7.

BZuppke

Plainfield
What if we came out and dismantled them like we did Minnesota? We can dream for now.

I know you're suppose to take one game at a time, but can we please commit to winning out? I mean, really, why the hell not? Reproduce the Minny game 3 more times and there you go!

No, we cannot commit to winning out because that is incredibly unrealistic. We have 2 conference wins the last 2 years, and we are talking about winning the next 3 consecutive? We will be big underdogs the rest of the way and absolutely nothing we have seen this season shows that we have much of a chance against Iowa.

No, we cannot commit to winning out because that is incredibly unrealistic. We have 2 conference wins the last 2 years, and we are talking about winning the next 3 consecutive? We will be big underdogs the rest of the way and absolutely nothing we have seen this season shows that we have much of a chance against Iowa.

What if we come out strong and the referees are at least 50:50. Haven't seen Nebraska play so can't really comment. Wins more important than morale victories or close games. We have 4 wins and should of won against S Florida, gave it away.

With all due respect, I don't get why many think Nebraska is a winnable game in Lincoln.... They have been getting better and better each week, and just gave tOSU a big-time run for their money. We would have to play a near perfect game, while they stumble badly... And I don't think it will happen in Lincoln. Please explain why you think this is possible... respectfully

I forgot to add in that less than a month ago, the Huskers gave up about 70 yards more offense, along with 3 more points and scored 2 less points against Minny than we did last week.

I am an admitted downer but I just try to be realistic. Our goal should definitely be winning 1 of the next 3. I give us a 40% chance of doing that. That puts us at 5-7 with 3 conference wins. A very(!) successful season IMO

If we play the way we did on Saturday we have a chance against Iowa.

Iowa 5th in the nation in rush defense at a stingy 86.2 ypg. It would take a QB passing performance we have not seen all year to have a chance. We won't hold them under 28 points so points will have to come from somewhere.

Last edited:
If we play the way we did on Saturday we have a chance against Iowa.

We'll probably need an off-game by Iowa, too, but that is not outside the realm of possibility given they have Northwestern the week before (ouch, that hurt to type, LOL), Nebraska the week after and - if my luck is any indication since I'll be making the trip - very crappy weather.

We'll probably need an off-game by Iowa, too, but that is not outside the realm of possibility given they have Northwestern the week before (ouch, that hurt to type, LOL), Nebraska the week after and - if my luck is any indication since I'll be making the trip - very crappy weather.
This post is painful to read.

What if we come out strong and the referees are at least 50:50. Haven't seen Nebraska play so can't really comment. Wins more important than morale victories or close games. We have 4 wins and should of won against S Florida, gave it away.

I'll disagree with that statement. Getting better is the most important thing right now. We return almost everyone...just keep improving. We could play the best we've ever played under Lovie on Saturday, and Nebraska might just be a little better. On the other hand we might play a sloppy game and win because Nebraska is even worse.

The USF game is a prime example. On paper that would've been a good win. Anyone who watched that game knows USF played terrible.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Random note: Illinois had the biggest leap this past week in S&P+ rankings. Went into last Saturday as the 114th ranked DI football team, left as 100th. Minnesota dropped 15 spots from the loss.

Nebraska is their 56th ranked D1 team (For comparison, Minnesota was 59th going into last Saturday)

Deleted member 29907

D
Random note: Illinois had the biggest leap this past week in S&P+ rankings. Went into last Saturday as the 114th ranked DI football team, left as 100th. Minnesota dropped 15 spots from the loss.

Nebraska is their 56th ranked D1 team (For comparison, Minnesota was 59th going into last Saturday)
Random Response: 1) AJ made a jump in productivity - passing much better/quicker (and not thinking as much) handing off more - lets hope that sticks. 2) The D stepped it up last week and was MUCH more aggressive (good things happen when you attack, and of course Hobbs and Adams are in) - lets hope that sticks.

Will still be tough to win away from home, but let's see if we can keep the two progressing this week.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Random Response: 1) AJ made a jump in productivity - passing much better/quicker (and not thinking as much) handing off more - lets hope that sticks. 2) The D stepped it up last week and was MUCH more aggressive (good things happen when you attack, and of course Hobbs and Adams are in) - lets hope that sticks.

Will still be tough to win away from home, but let's see if we can keep the two progressing this week.

In my opinion, AJ had his best game of the year against Minny. Lovie, in his post game presser, I think, said that AJ did in fact change something. I did catch that. So, something or someone got through to AJ about his approach to the game. Need to see it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.