Pregame: Illinois at Nebraska, Saturday, November 21st, 11:00am CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we have a chance if the secondary continues to develop and doesn't leave receivers wide open.

I know you have to start Peters but I think our best chance to win this game is controlling the ball with the run game and high % passes, which means we'll probably see a lot of IW regardless.
Seems like something that shouldn't be this worrisome in year 5.....

This game will not be close. They have better athletes, have a better coaching staff and gained some confidence by beating PSU. 45-17 bad guys

Think we have a chance if the secondary continues to develop and doesn't leave receivers wide open.

I know you have to start Peters but I think our best chance to win this game is controlling the ball with the run game and high % passes, which means we'll probably see a lot of IW regardless.
Here is what I noticed, which is, Peters gets rattled in the pocket. He gets sacked, a lot over his 1 plus years of being here, He has happy feet. IW. I know, it is Rutgers, never panicked. He takes what the D gives him. We can spread Neb out. Their D is terrible. We cannot have the continual 3 and out Peters gives us. Like you said, ball control is our D's best friend. We have two or three viable options and the X factor in FDord's blocking which was huge last Saturday. We kept out D off the field and they were not tired by the 4th quarter. I truly cannot see us using Peters very much. It is a failed formula.

We can't cover all the spots on the defensive staff so why would we expect to be able the cover other teams???
Actually, we did make adjustments on D and you could see the players responding better. Hansen changed his play on the field. He had better angles and made plays. The D is starting to figure things out but the DL needs to step it up. We gave the RU QB a week to make a throw. If we can get pressure, our D will make plays but that is a big IF.

Actually, we did make adjustments on D and you could see the players responding better. Hansen changed his play on the field. He had better angles and made plays. The D is starting to figure things out but the DL needs to step it up. We gave the RU QB a week to make a throw. If we can get pressure, our D will make plays but that is a big IF.
Because he finally moved Hansen back outside. If Lovie plays man to man we will be able to hang with Neb a little bit better but if he falls into his habit of playing more zone coverage Frost and co. will have a field day.

illini80

Forgottonia
Nebraska’s QB is going to be a handful. He’s supposed to be fast on outside. Not sure if he has a great arm tho we will likely find out. I worry about the big plays. If we can contain them we might be able to hang in. I’m just not sure we match up well with their athletes. Their defense isn’t great, but it isn’t awful. O-line will need to have a good game to keep Peters upright and we need to keep the defense off the field as much as possible.

What‘s the over/under on Nebraska yards? I’m going with 550. They’ve been over 600 the last 2 years. I think we do slightly better with Barnes in.

Key is staying close, Nebraska is known for bad 2nd halves.Limit mistakes, convert in red zone, stack the box on defense.

I may be crazy but i'll pick Illinois here in an upset

they win the turnover battle, get explosive plays control the clock i like their chances
the office yes GIF

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Nebraska’s QB is going to be a handful. He’s supposed to be fast on outside. Not sure if he has a great arm tho we will likely find out. I worry about the big plays. If we can contain them we might be able to hang in. I’m just not sure we match up well with their athletes. Their defense isn’t great, but it isn’t awful. O-line will need to have a good game to keep Peters upright and we need to keep the defense off the field as much as possible.

What‘s the over/under on Nebraska yards? I’m going with 550. They’ve been over 600 the last 2 years. I think we do slightly better with Barnes in.
Don't be surprised if they have 2 QBs on the field at the same time. Both Martinez and McCaffrey are similar. They like to run but both are decent passers. Outside of those 2, their running game has not been much. Would expect Frost to try to exploit the fact that his two best offensive weapons are QBs.

Wonder if Rod will let Peters run more now that he has seen IW in full game action. Peters is effective when he runs, but Rod obviously wants to protect his top QB. Maybe he’s a little more aggressive with Peters and balances the offense a little more knowing what IW can do in games if Peters goes down.

Because he finally moved Hansen back outside. If Lovie plays man to man we will be able to hang with Neb a little bit better but if he falls into his habit of playing more zone coverage Frost and co. will have a field day.
I agree Hansen is not a Middle LB and yes, more man coverage. Teams have figured out the Cover 2/Cover 4 we seem to have tossed out there. Teams fins the soft spots and brutally attack us with the open areas in the middle of the field.

Maryland game cancelled.
Could Illinois have most losses in CFB this season? Maybe if they get to play all of their games.

Maryland game cancelled.
Could Illinois have most losses in CFB this season? Maybe if they get to play all of their games.
Simulataneously cementing being the worst at football by being the best at avoiding COVID cancellations. Sounds like my Illini. 😂

I think we stick it to them. 34-14 good guys.
I hope so. Not convinced Nebraska is any good, but we need to be better than we were at Rutgers. At least we have left ourselves plenty of room for improvement.

Get the running game going, control the ball, & hope their QB gift wraps a few passes to us like Rutgers did.

IW has to hit some passes. I hope they utilize the TE with some short passes. The key for the offense isn't which qb plays or get the running game going. The key is the O Line. They have to come out fast. NB scored over 30 points on PSU last week. We know that they can make big plays. A lot will be determined by the weather. I remember a couple of years ago the wind blew like a tornado in NB. The qb's just couldn't throw against the wind. Go Illini.

If Peters starts, he should be on a very short leash. The run game opened up tremendously with IW at QB. I hope we go with the hot hand and go with IW. Pretty hard to bench the Freshman of the Week.
Nebraska is not Rutgers. I hope they start IW , so we can put this future QB idea to rest. I hate to say Nebraska by 21, Rutgers kept the Illini in the game last week with their QB play.

A lot of ORANGE KOOLAIDE flowing, we barely beat a bad Rutgers team. So when Lovie gets a win he gets to stay for another 2 years.

IW has to hit some passes. I hope they utilize the TE with some short passes. The key for the offense isn't which qb plays or get the running game going. The key is the O Line. They have to come out fast. NB scored over 30 points on PSU last week. We know that they can make big plays. A lot will be determined by the weather. I remember a couple of years ago the wind blew like a tornado in NB. The qb's just couldn't throw against the wind. Go Illini.
Is IW the confirmed starter?

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Weather right now is looking like a high around 50, overcast but dry with light winds. Pretty nice day for this time of year in Lincoln.

A lot of ORANGE KOOLAIDE flowing, we barely beat a bad Rutgers team. So when Lovie gets a win he gets to stay for another 2 years.
I don't think Nebraska is very good, so it's possible Illinois could win. Scary thought: Illinois wins to go 2-3 and the rest of the games are cancelled. Can Whitman still pull the trigger? He has to.

Illinivek23

Gurnee
McCaffrey will be a handful. Kid lit up Northwestern in the 2H and they would have been in trouble if he played the first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.