Pregame: Illinois at Nebraska, Sunday, December 2nd, 4:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 236589

D
What is everyone else seeing in Nebraska? They're okay, but they're not world beaters. They have one decent win over Clemson but were also handled by Texas Tech. Not going to be a blowout by any means.
This is an honest question, not trying to extinguish your positivity one bit.

That said, at 2-5, getting wiped out twice in Maui(Iowa State and Xavier), getting beat at home by a very average Georgetown team and losing on the road to a sub par Notre Dame team....

Our two wins are vs Evansville and Mississippi Valley State, both at home. As you noted, they beat a good Clemson team.

What makes you think that we're going through be anywhere close with five minutes to go?

They aren't world beaters, you're right. However, we're bad right now. Real bad. That might not be the case two months from now, but this sets up to be a giant beatdown.

Hoping for the best though. I really should adopt your positive nature.

We're going to see just how good a coach Underwood is. Is he able to win some games with this roster. Just how good of a coach is he? Can he strategize?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
When was the last time we played in December?

Oops, wrong sport.

Nebraska just beat ranked Clemson at Clemson pretty handily. We just don’t have the horses. I want to be good, but we are not good, so I am sad.
Yeah I tend to agree . Like you mentioned we just don't have the horses right now. REALLY wish we still had Leron Black oh well.

I expect the line to be Illinois +11-12. If we play at the level we have so far, they will close us out without it being close at the end. But, we're really inconsistent, and a healthy Trent can make a difference. I could see us playing up, and making a game of it.

All I want is more improvement. Better defensive rotations, a few more minutes with guys cutting and playing in rhythm.

Why is it so hard to play the offense, or at least TRY to play the offense, on a regular basis? I can understand playing it imperfectly, but why such long stretches without even pretending to play the offense?

Nebraska just beat ranked Clemson at Clemson pretty handily. We just don’t have the horses. I want to be good, but we are not good, so I am sad.
Won by 2. Clemson played nobody really up until Creighton and lost by 6. Nebraska should be beatable, however Underwood’s schemes seem broken, so I assume Nebraska wins.

illini80

Forgottonia
We do have a way of hanging in, so that gives us a chance. Still predicting a L though.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
We do have a way of hanging in, so that gives us a chance.
It is really strange and concerning that so far our system seems to mostly only work the way it's supposed to (against real teams) when desperately trying to erase a medium/large deficit.

Quick Nebraska stats look.

Couple things jump out for Nebraska....top 5 in nation in opponent FG% at .345, their 2P% conversion is scary good at 60%, and they don't foul much (top 20 in nation for limiting opponent FTAs). over 40% of their shot attempts are 3P....which seems crazy when you shoot 60% from 2p, but they are clearly selective.

You gotta love a defense that is awesome at limiting FG% and is ALSO great at limiting fouls...just wish we had similar stats.

REF:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/nebraska/2019.html

Boy, you said it. That's the thing that really riles me up about the Illini. There is no flow to their games. Constant fouling breaks up the continuity, and if you're frequently giving the other team twice as many free shots as you're getting, how can you expect to beat a decent team. If they could just clean that one aspect of their game up a bit, we could win a lot more games. It seems to be our identity, though.

Dan

Admin
Tevian Jones still suspended from game competition. Will not play at Nebraska on Sunday.
Trent Frazier full go after tweaking his ankle at ND on Tuesday.
https://twitter.com/craigwchoate/

As much as I hate to say it we will underdogs in every Big Ten game this year I think. However I do feel things are heading in the right direction. This team right now just lacks size and experience

illini80

Forgottonia
As much as I hate to say it we will underdogs in every Big Ten game this year I think. However I do feel things are heading in the right direction. This team right now just lacks size and experience
Nearly impossible to go down if your prediction is correct!

What a difference an early road B10 win would make on the rest of the season. Go get 'em gents!!

ILLINI IN NE

Omaha,Ne.
Leaving for the game soon. I'm about 95 miles west of Lincoln and its snowing and windy but going come hell or high water. I was lucky and got 6 tickets near midcourt row 3+4 so I'll get a good look at our team. Nebraska is good and we may have trouble scoring. They have length and are athletic. They have some good seniors so this is a big year for them. I hope we can start off their conference games with a loss.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
Sa
Leaving for the game soon. I'm about 95 miles west of Lincoln and its snowing and windy but going come hell or high water. I was lucky and got 6 tickets near midcourt row 3+4 so I'll get a good look at our team. Nebraska is good and we may have trouble scoring. They have length and are athletic. They have some good seniors so this is a big year for them. I hope we can start off their conference games with a loss.

Safe travels and bring us a road win!

Status
Not open for further replies.