Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to the players and fans.
I hope Illinois is victorious.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Thats very pessimistic of you.

Ill just go ahead and go 2-2 on my predictions this season: Illinois wins it 31-21.
Pessimistic? I would call that realistic given that we have kept only two of our eight (so far) B1G opponents to under 46 points, and those were Rutgers and Minnesota. Northwestern is a better team than either of those, and quite possibly better than Iowa. Oh, and we are depleted and have really nothing to play for except pride. Let's hope pride is a major motivator so we can at least keep it remotely respectable.

Dan

Admin
Lovie: Our guys realize who we're playing, realize what we're playing for. Land of Lincoln Trophy has been up there too many years. #Illini

Lovie: Northwestern is getting ready to play for the championship the following week. Their team has had an outstanding year. Hopefully for us that puts us in a good position after disappointment you can finish up your season the right way. #Illini

Lovie: When you're building your program and have that many (injuries) — especially on the defensive side — it's tough. #Illini

Lovie: We have, of course, enough guys to still play. Good opportunity for some of the young players that haven't gotten an opportunity. #Illini

Lovie: State of the program is disappointment right now, but we see brighter days ahead. #Illini

Lovie: We had hope for this season to be able to do more. Last week we talked about playoffs and having to win the last two to get in a bowl game. We're not going to accomplish that this year. #Illini

Lovie: When we feel like we have the right person to hire, we'll hire them (two open defensive assistant positions). #Illini

Lovie: Right now it's not a good time for us to talk about where we are (defensively). Big picture, we have some players like Bobby Roundtree, Jake Hansen, Nate Hobbs. The system is proven. We'll keep working on it, get the coaching staff right. #Illini

Lovie: Our wide receiver play hasn't been as good as it will be in the future. That's fair to say. We lost a couple of our guys that would have helped. #Illini

Lovie: Ra'Von Bonner has patiently waited for an opportunity. We have to protect the football, of course, but he ran hard. He'll get another opportunity this week. #Illini

Lovie: Reggie Corbin went out (against Iowa). Unfortunately tweaked his ankle again. We're hopeful he'll be able to go this week. #Illini

https://twitter.com/srrichey

Pessimistic? I would call that realistic given that we have kept only two of our eight (so far) B1G opponents to under 46 points, and those were Rutgers and Minnesota. Northwestern is a better team than either of those, and quite possibly better than Iowa. Oh, and we are depleted and have really nothing to play for except pride. Let's hope pride is a major motivator so we can at least keep it remotely respectable.
Umm. Northwestern BEAT IOWA. In Kinnick Stadium. Yeah. They're better...but I don't see another 63-0 beat down. Hopefully.

If we are out of bowl game contention (I'm not sure whether we are officially or not), we should play Rivers.

NU struggles to score points; Fitz is slow to react to exotic schemes. He just has been bailed out this season by converting all those 4th down attempts. Mind you, NU lost to AKRON 39-34. If Lovie confuses that offense, we will be sitting pretty.

I guarantee we keep them under 46; im standing by my prediction. I hope I see more optimists on this thread. Illinois is a good team, weve just been on the wrong side of luck this season.

NU struggles to score points; Fitz is slow to react to exotic schemes. He just has been bailed out this season by converting all those 4th down attempts. Mind you, NU lost to AKRON 39-34. If Lovie confuses that offense, we will be sitting pretty.

I guarantee we keep them under 46; im standing by my prediction. I hope I see more optimists on this thread. Illinois is a good team, weve just been on the wrong side of luck this season.

For some reason, I picture this is what you look like:
il_570xN.1521317077_gghl.jpg

Lovie: Right now it's not a good time for us to talk about where we are (defensively). Big picture, we have some players like Bobby Roundtree, Jake Hansen, Nate Hobbs. The system is proven. We'll keep working on it, get the coaching staff right.
Sounds like anyone hoping a new defensive coordinator will come in and change the defense will have to wait until the next head coach.

Sounds like anyone hoping a new defensive coordinator will come in and change the defense will have to wait until the next head coach.
That quote from Lovie might just be all the ammunition Whitman needs to fire him now (meaning after a 55-14 loss to Northwestern).

System is proven??? Lovie....are you nuts? It's proven to give up points in historic numbers.

That quote from Lovie might just be all the ammunition Whitman needs to fire him now (meaning after a 55-14 loss to Northwestern).

System is proven??? Lovie....are you nuts? It's proven to give up points in historic numbers.

Yeah, I thought the same thing on the “proven” comment. Sure it is, if you have Urlacher and Briggs with some other pro-bowlers on the field. In which case you could play any defensive scheme and win.

Lovie is going down with the Tampa 2 ship. Will be his undoing.

Unless there is a vast improvement in the Illini defense, Northwestern scores a bunch on Saturday.

BZuppke

Plainfield
My son said he woke up with a feeling that we'll beat NW. We think it also just might have been gas. Seriously, as in all of our games if our offense can move the ball and score (and limit turnovers), it is a winnable game. Our D isn't going to stop too many teams but their pass defense is their weak point. MJ?

SKane

Tennessee
The best that can be hoped for is that the Illini will play hard for four quarters and that no one will be injured (on either team).

Even that happens, the Illini will lose. I am guessing 52 - 20.

I would much prefer a 4-3 scheme. Iowa exposed our 2 linebacker scheme with crossing plays and runs. Actually a of the BIG exposed it.

I wonder if one of our athletic small DE could fill the OLB. Think Woods or Gay at 6-3/225 would be solid at covering TE and stopping the run. Also blitzing the QB. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.