Sunday, January 6th
12:00pm CT
BTN

:illinois:

Can we go one thread without blaming the Refs

SKane

Tennessee
ILL 72 - Northwestern 66.

I think that ILL will be ahead double digits at halftime and somehow hang on to win this one. It's got to happen sometime so why not this time?

As bad as things are currently, I'm so happy BIG season is upon us and we play again in 3 more days, keep improving!

Would love for the Orange unis in this one, get some of that Halas Hall magic flowing towards Evanston prior to a 3:25 kickoff!

Here is what I said last game, “Here’s my prediction for the next game. One-on-one offense with everyone standing around, dunk city for the IU, and another Illini loss.”

Here was their shot chart.
DF89923B-50FD-40A7-9E53-FD1F85F67930.jpeg

I think I will just ditto that prediction for the next game.

illini80

Forgottonia
Here is what I said last game, “Here’s my prediction for the next game. One-on-one offense with everyone standing around, dunk city for the IU, and another Illini loss.”

Here was their shot chart.
View attachment 3951

I think I will just ditto that prediction for the next game.
The shot chart doesn’t show it, but it wasn’t all uncontested layups like we have seen in other games. We were over powered by their superior strength and athleticism. I think RL could have driven and scored every possession if he wanted to. We had no answer for him.

The shot chart doesn’t show it, but it wasn’t all uncontested layups like we have seen in other games. We were over powered by their superior strength and athleticism. I think RL could have driven and scored every possession if he wanted to. We had no answer for him.

Not sure.

BU stated that the kids were told it will be a RL second half. The kids were supposed to deny him the ball. They did not (as a team).

Also, on the radio (think it was Altenburger (sp?)) repeated often that there is no help, by design, along the base line. The defense is expected to funnel RL to the middle. The defenders (AJ?) repeatedly failed to do so.

The kids are not following the script.

Deleted member 746094

D

Yeah. The shot chart is not all telling. Although we did give up a ton of “high percentage” shots in the paint, most were heavily contested. They basically have what we are in desperate need of- tall, athletic slashers that can finish at and above the rim. RL made one 3 and if I remember correctly they said that isn’t a huge part of his game. We just didn’t have anyone to physically match up with him.

I don’t know if NW has anyone that can take it to the rim like RL and be that dominant. I doubt it. Dude will be a 1st rounder. I think it is going to be especially hard to win on the road in the B10 this year for anyone and definitely our team. NW- 70 IL- 68. We just don’t have anyone that can get to the rim and score off the dribble.

Also, on the radio (think it was Altenburger (sp?)) repeated often that there is no help, by design, along the base line. The defense is expected to funnel RL to the middle. The defenders (AJ?) repeatedly failed to do so. The kids are not following the script.

I thought I saw Kipper very upset with AJ onetime for this very reason.

I agree. Some of those RL layups were defended perfectly and he just made incredible shots. Also, there were quite a few tip-ins due to their size/strength advantage.

Give credit...take credit away...

When we went to a 2-3 zone (i was actually excited when I saw that...AN ADJUSTMENT!!!) and they got it to the high-post at the elbow and back-cut for an easy layup...That was so obvious and so sad. Good news is the D adjusted and it didn't happen again while we were in a zone.

And did you see JM just man-handle GB in the post? GB is not small or week and JM just pushed him around for that bunny. That's a senior vs a freshman.

Overall it was much better than the past, but still not great. I don't think NW has quite the players to do to us what Indiana did. They may do other things to us (lobs? rain 3-pointers?) but it won't be what IU did.

And did you see JM just man-handle GB in the post? GB is not small or week and JM just pushed him around for that bunny. That's a senior vs a freshman.

I was very worried as the shot was going up that there would be a foul called on GB (just because it was physical play and that seems like a call that would go against us this year) and was pleasantly surprised. I thought he defended very well on that possession, JM was just too strong backing him down. Two more years of D1 S&C, and I think GB could be doing that to people.

Not sure.

BU stated that the kids were told it will be a RL second half. The kids were supposed to deny him the ball. They did not (as a team).

Also, on the radio (think it was Altenburger (sp?)) repeated often that there is no help, by design, along the base line. The defense is expected to funnel RL to the middle. The defenders (AJ?) repeatedly failed to do so.

The kids are not following the script.

Easier said than done. It's tough to deny the ball to a great athlete like RL, especially with today's rules. And if you try to deny but fail, you're already in a compromising position.

Pretty much every other team is going to sag off and force him to shoot or drive middle. BU's defense needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.