Pregame: Illinois at Northwestern, Wednesday, January 14th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very concerning that JT earned PT primarily to do one thing... Pass the bal.... Yet was only able to get ONE assist vs. Neb.

The first few possessions I actually saw NE pass the ball out from the post which I don't recall him doing often. Then they went away from this and we couldn't get the offense going. Yes we need a PG this year and next.
We did play against the 10th best defensive team in the country, on the road. It wasn't that bad of a loss on paper. Northwestern will be solid defensively but definitely not as good as Nebraska, so we need a win there.

Decatur, IL
Very concerning that JT earned PT primarily to do one thing... Pass the bal.... Yet was only able to get ONE assist vs. Neb.

The first few possessions I actually saw NE pass the ball out from the post which I don't recall him doing often. Then they went away from this and we couldn't get the offense going. Yes we need a PG this year and next.
Cant get any assists when your teammates cant make a shot. Simple as that. NE passed the ball out because he got doubled almost everytime he touched it. When he doesnt get doubled he usually makes a move to score. Either way we still should try to play inside out whenever we can.

We did play against the 10th best defensive team in the country, on the road. It wasn't that bad of a loss on paper. Northwestern will be solid defensively but definitely not as good as Nebraska, so we need a win there.
true...but ONE assist.

Starks also had one assist as did NE. Tate should be better than that regardless of the competition. The sad fact is he wasn't and time is short for improvement if we want to make the tourney.

Cant get any assists when your teammates cant make a shot. Simple as that. NE passed the ball out because he got doubled almost everytime he touched it. When he doesnt get doubled he usually makes a move to score. Either way we still should try to play inside out whenever we can.
Can't get an assist if you're just dribbling around the perimeter without getting the ball to spots where your teammates can score either. Agree with playing inside out though.

I used to hate the high low with Self here as I felt he overused it but now, I'd rather see that then passing it around the perimeter all day. However it takes two to tango... our guards to pass the ball in and Egwu/Morgan/Black to pass the ball back out

Last edited:
There are many reasons I can think of as to why playing LaTulip is a dumb argument. I don't feel like listing them all out. But the bottom line is Groce grades everything in practice. This has been mentioned millions of times on this board. If LaTulip is grading out just as well as Starks, or even close to Starks, he would be getting playing time. That's really as simple as it gets for me.
Unfortunately. Going back to last year with Hill/Nunn. I, and many others, still think Groce waited to long to insert them into the starting lineup. Don't get me wrong, I understand the philosophy of "grading everything in practice" approach. My argument is it seems like practice performance is worth more than game performance at times.
Again, last year, DURING GAMES, it was easy to see who was performing better night in and night out, yet Groce waited 5 to 6 games before making the change. This year, Starks is not exactly playing well, IN GAMES.
I don't care what he does in practice. If he isn't playing well IN GAMES, that actually count, give a few minutes to someone else and see what happens.

Unfortunately. Going back to last year with Hill/Nunn. I, and many others, still think Groce waited to long to insert them into the starting lineup. Don't get me wrong, I understand the philosophy of "grading everything in practice" approach. My argument is it seems like practice performance is worth more than game performance at times.
Again, last year, DURING GAMES, it was easy to see who was performing better night in and night out, yet Groce waited 5 to 6 games before making the change. This year, Starks is not exactly playing well, IN GAMES.
I don't care what he does in practice. If he isn't playing well IN GAMES, that actually count, give a few minutes to someone else and see what happens.
I think in our eyes that might be true because Hill and Nunn were shooting at a higher %. But in Groce's eyes I'm guessing they were still making a lot of mistakes defensively and not executing the small details of the game.

Definitely possible. It's like some people are expecting the same performance that we had against Nebraska. Our performance will likely we be somewhere inbetween the Nebraska game and the Maryland one. Nebraska is better than Northwestern though and even if we played as poorly as the Nebraska game, it could still give us a win. With that being said, my guess is 62-53 Illinois.
Thats my analysis too.......NEWMAN.

Nebraska is more talented than NW and Maryland way more talented. With Ray Rice this is a no brainer ( unless they played that stupid princeton offense and 1 - 2 - 1 zone crap that carmody liked and frustrated our players )

Also nebraska was a bad matchup for the Illini without Ray Rice. Pettaway and Shields are taller and as quick or quicker than any guard we got and David Rivers is bigger than Malcolm Hill. That was a bad matchup for us especially when we were on offense.

It sux that Ray cant play in this game against NW because this was the game that he got hurt in last season and what probably led to the loss.

Crowd can give the Illini a boost and deflate the home team.

Need somebody besides Malcolm Hill to step up. Maybe the simeon connection? This is a team that Tate and Nunn can go off on and with their family and friends in the stands too. Nothing to physical or strong or atheletic about NW that should stop Tate and Nunn. Malcolm gonna be on the top of scouting reports until Ray gets back. He needs help.

uh, Maine
+1

Some players play well in games, but practice poorly. The converse is also true. I remember Larry Smith being one of the best practice/pickup ballers for the Flying Illini. He was not very good in games.

I don't understand the over reliance on practice grading, if that is what's happening. The obvious reason for a drop off in a regular game would be a players relative unfamiliarity with the opposing players.

In practice, you are seeing the same guys, with the same moves, and they are doing those same moves ad nauseum. With opposing players, even if you see them a couple times a year in conference, you are going to be much less familiar with every game time combination they throw at you.

That may be oversimplifying it a bit, but it is easier to look good against people you play day in and day out. I will also anticipate the counter-argument of "they also know your game, so you have to get better," and I agree with it to a certain extent.

However, I still agree with those who are saying in-game play is the much better barometer for deciding who gets more tick.

Oh, and to stick to the thread topic, I think we get into the 60's in this one, and beat NW, but it will be uncomfortably close until the last couple of minutes.

Vermont
Obvious solution is to give Starks' minutes to Black. E.g., the NE game: In his 8 min. Black was shooting 33.3% (at 1-3), had one foul and 2 ribbies.
Stark for his 20 min. shot 1 for 7 with 2 fouls and 0 boards. So with 2.5 times more PT, LB's totals likely would have been . . . oh, never mind.

This is a must win game, we need to come out very hungry. X factor will be Jaylon Tate and if he can score at least 8 points and have more than 4 assists we will win.

Kirksville, MO
Can't get an assist if you're just dribbling around the perimeter without getting the ball to spots where your teammates can score either.
There are 2 sides to this.
Guys have to move without the ball and get open (and make the shot, of course).

I think another aspect that is hurting us is our lack of size and quickness.
We are smaller and slower at almost every position.
We knew that we'd be undersized at the 1, 4, and 3 (especially without Rice), but I didn't expect us to be quite this slow compared to the rest of the conference.
We expected to have a strength advantage with Rice, Cosby, and Starks, but I haven't seen it work for us in terms of the latter 2.
It probably helps Cosby in terms of rebounding, but that's about it.
So far, he doesn't look like he has much ability to create separation to get off a good shot without being rushed.
I think that's resulted in him being out of rhythm and his shots being flat.
He's trying to go too fast.

true...but ONE assist.

Starks also had one assist as did NE. Tate should be better than that regardless of the competition. The sad fact is he wasn't and time is short for improvement if we want to make the tourney.
It's hard to get assists when the defense only has to guard two guys. When you have Tate, Cosby, and Egwu out there the defense just keys in on Nunn and Hill and sags off the other three. Against nebraska there was no room to drive or cut. Not much you can create in that scenario.

Last edited:
Orange Crush '89
Northern Illinois
I'm not usually this guy, but I personally would like to see AS sit down for taking another variation of some of the ridiculous shots that I have seen in the last few games. Contested fade away 25 footer. I'd like to see him sit down immediately for I guess MLT.

Could definitely be the frustrated fan in me, but there's lack of production which is different than hoisting terrible-and I mean terrible-shots.

There's at least a 50% chance that MLT is worse but I would like to see it once for a few minutes to see what happens.

Just went to record this game and the B10 network description says that we are led by sharpshooting guards Rayvonte Rice and Malcolm Hill. Wish it were true.

Fairfield, IL
I don't like this January swoon for the Illini. I think it's tough to overcome and hampers the road to the NCAA Tourney. I hope this January is better than last season and the year before that.

Here's hoping the Illini get more wins in January. The defense has been great, just have to get it going offensively. Once they do, look out world.

I don't like this January swoon for the Illini. I think it's tough to overcome and hampers the road to the NCAA Tourney. I hope this January is better than last season and the year before that.

Here's hoping the Illini get more wins in January. The defense has been great, just have to get it going offensively. Once they do, look out world.
Hope your right, but I also don't see the likes of Wisconsin (full strength), Kentucky, Arizona, Virginia etc etc worried a bit even if Illinois offense gets going... that is a big ole IF.

Ill 62- NW 50
Nunn for 24

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA

IMO I think last year there's a great case for a January swoon, but 2013, not as much. That 9 game stretch where we started conference play 2-7 featured 5/9 games against top 15 teams in the nation. NW was really the only bad loss of that bunch. @PU and vs.Minny weren't great either, but we also beat OSU at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.