Pregame: Illinois at Northwestern, Wednesday, January 14th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Welcome, And what I need more than a hug is an Illini, win. But all the positive thinking in the world won't help the poor shooting.

I get the "build them up" vs "break them down" mentality, but I too find a lot of what he says puzzling. Does he actually believe what he saying? Like the 4-5 bad shots comment? I certainly hope not.

What I am taking out of all this, and really out of his tenure to this junction, is that he hangs his hat on recruiting and his strength really isn't bench coaching. That is fine if you are able to land great players, but we haven't put together a cohesive roster built with guys like that. It's been more like a patchwork quilt.
I think he can motivate which is a huge part of the job. I do think he brought a mid size giant slayer philosophy to Illinois. Hit enough threes and you have a chance to slay the giant. We do need great 3 point shooters. I'm all for that but these guys are taking deep threes early in the shot clock and failing miserably. You might slay the giant when you are hot but we need some balance in our shot selection.

I get the "build them up" vs "break them down" mentality, but I too find a lot of what he says puzzling. Does he actually believe what he saying? Like the 4-5 bad shots comment? I certainly hope not.

What I am taking out of all this, and really out of his tenure to this junction, is that he hangs his hat on recruiting and his strength really isn't bench coaching. That is fine if you are able to land great players, but we haven't put together a cohesive roster built with guys like that. It's been more like a patchwork quilt.
In the midst of the poor choices by certain players on this team are actually some really good offensive sets. I recall a great one that got Nunn an open look, only to have it rattle halfway down and out. So we do execute at times. But I wonder what we do when our first, second, and third options get eliminated? Do we not have the players who can "take it from there"?

Ultimately, this roster is a patchwork, and you can see that to this point, Cosby and Starks have not lived up the expectations we all had for them.

32% FG shooting from Starks this year. I can't even wrap my head around how bad that is.

Yes, Bo Ryan did very well against Rutgers. :D
College basketball is getting weird, man. Miami walked into Durham and beat Duke last night. Not just a win, either. They were smoking them in the second half.

College basketball is getting weird, man. Miami walked into Durham and beat Duke last night. Not just a win, either. They were smoking them in the second half.
Shooting 67% in the second half did not hurt for Miami. If UI shoots 67% in second half, I think they will win.

In the midst of the poor choices by certain players on this team are actually some really good offensive sets. I recall a great one that got Nunn an open look, only to have it rattle halfway down and out. So we do execute at times. But I wonder what we do when our first, second, and third options get eliminated? Do we not have the players who can "take it from there"?

Ultimately, this roster is a patchwork, and you can see that to this point, Cosby and Starks have not lived up the expectations we all had for them.

32% FG shooting from Starks this year. I can't even wrap my head around how bad that is.
Where does that 32% figure come from? I would have guessed it to be much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.