Admin
Illinois at Notre Dame
Tuesday, November 27th
6:00pm CT
ESPNU

:illinois:

illini80

Forgottonia
Hoping for a pleasent surprise. This team has too much talent to give up on, but they are really young and have a lot of things to figure out.

Notre Dame starting lineup to give us best shot to jump out to a lead imo is:

Ayo, Trent, Griffin, Giorgi, Nichols ( Nichols doesn't deserve it, Griffin I think might be a the real key actually)

Jordan, DeLaRosa, Williams, Feliz, Jones off the bench to maintain the push. (Jordan and Williams would be steadying influences pushing Jones)

I don't understand this negativity.

We just went out and did what we were supposed to do against an opponent. Ayo just proved that he can be a crucial player even when not putting the ball in the basket and Kane got some valuable floor time in. He needs to gain 30 pounds, but he'll be just fine for us.

I don't understand this negativity.

We just went out and did what we were supposed to do against an opponent. Ayo just proved that he can be a crucial player even when not putting the ball in the basket and Kane got some valuable floor time in. He needs to gain 30 pounds, but he'll be just fine for us.

We did what we were supposed to do offensively.

Defensively, not as much.

Notre Dame starting lineup to give us best shot to jump out to a lead imo is:

Ayo, Trent, Griffin, Giorgi, Nichols ( Nichols doesn't deserve it, Griffin I think might be a the real key actually)

Jordan, DeLaRosa, Williams, Feliz, Jones off the bench to maintain the push. (Jordan and Williams would be steadying influences pushing Jones)

Not sure you saw the game, but Griffin had a very sloppy 2 minutes. Like his potential, but AJ, Damonte rebounding and defense will keep them playing ahead of Griffin.

The crowd will be absolutely nuts and the players will be sky high. The narrative about how young Il is gets old. Enough with the excuses. GT started 3 frosh and a soph. We know the extenuating circumstances with IST. Notre Dame starts a couple frosh and plays another one significant minutes. They have one senior starter. ND is not an experienced team right on par with Illinois. They will play 4 guards a lot. Can we keep them in front enough to win? Probably not. When is Underwood gonna realize his defense is really bad'; probably never. In the post game after Xavier he talked about guys not being in the right place, fouls, and frosh not putting on defense. He said the scheme is fine. Well i'd might buy that except i've been hearing this for a year and now 6 games.. Opposing teams have been shooting 60% on 2's this year, before today. H#ll they shot 46% today.

I like Samba game. More please.

Hoping like crazy for a win....preparing for a loss.

Box score says he was 4/6 for 10 points? Unless you just mean he had a sloppy 2 minute stretch?

He had a sloppy 2 minute stretch and got pulled. Also BU called a TO just to chew him out. AG has a nice shot, but not ready to take AJ's starting position. AJ also had a stability effect on the team that doesn't show up on the box score.

But AG is a pleasant surprise who will be very good for us in the future.

Griffin had an absolutely brutal stretch, but otherwise did well. Freshman growing pains.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
As a current Notre Dame student, I consider myself the expert here. This is a very winable game. ND graduated most of their scoring, and are also pretty young. They've also struggled badly against Radford which they lost, and Duquesne which they won after a 13-0 run. They also were only up 5 against Chicago State St at half. TJ Gibbs is probably the best player, followed by Pflueger if he gets hot on the 3. Mooney is a decent center but only like 6'9". He can drop 3s randomly so they definitely can't leave him open up top. Lastly, Harvey has been slow to start but was good last year, and Hubb is playing starter minutes as a freshmen. Just like us, they are not a super tall team down low. Also like us, they probably rely on the 3 too much.

Look for me in my orange jersey front row in the student section. I think UIUC wins by 10.

Defensively, not as much.
Alright, that makes more sense. I didn't watch this one so wasn't able to actually take in what was going down on the floor.

So yeah, 13 TO's does seem a little skimpy to me. So far this season, our opponents have had 24, 22, 22, 13, 17, and 13 turnovers. I am reminded of what I mentioned early in the summer about my prognosis for this team: when we have better guard play, we can play with anyone. When our opponent has a great (not just good) guard or guards, we're in trouble. Today our guards thoroughly outclassed a small-time school. Against any real team... we struggle ridiculously.

Start the following:

Ayo
Trent
Damonte
AJ
Giorgi

Off the bench:
Griffin
Feliz
Kipper
Kane
Tev
De La Rosa

Damonte has to start, crucial player who understands the game.

Hands Malone

Quad-Cities, IL
As a current Notre Dame student, I consider myself the expert here. This is a very winable game. ND graduated most of their scoring, and are also pretty young. They've also struggled badly against Radford which they lost, and Duquesne which they won after a 13-0 run. They also were only up 5 against Chicago State St at half. TJ Gibbs is probably the best player, followed by Pflueger if he gets hot on the 3. Mooney is a decent center but only like 6'9". He can drop 3s randomly so they definitely can't leave him open up top. Lastly, Harvey has been slow to start but was good last year, and Hubb is playing starter minutes as a freshmen. Just like us, they are not a super tall team down low. Also like us, they probably rely on the 3 too much.

Look for me in my orange jersey front row in the student section. I think UIUC wins by 10.

Have to agree with you here. Notre Dames's schedule has only missed Little Sister's got the Poor so far so the Illini have a chance if they can find some defense to go with their offense.

Ah, but if those struggles for ND were on the offensive end then I can tell you with complete confidence that nothing will cure offensive woes like playing our defense :rolleyes:

I’m predicting a loss, but with hopes we keep it close and show some discipline on the defensive side and an approved ability to throw lobs

Hubb and Harvey (Brey’s two highest ranked recruits since Demetrius Jackson, I think) are both coming off major surgeries. ACL for Hubb and microfracture for Harvey. So they are both behind where they “should” be. Harvey wasn’t fully cleared until October. They will probably get better, but not before Tuesday.

It will be interesting. ND probably has more talent on paper, but they are young and as has been mentioned haven’t played anybody.

Gotta hold the poopy irish to a low shooting % cuz I don’t see us outrebounding them.
That’s something we haven’t done yet this year, unless you seriously want to count evansville... 🤦🏻‍♂️

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Hubb and Harvey (Brey’s two highest ranked recruits since Demetrius Jackson, I think) are both coming off major surgeries. ACL for Hubb and microfracture for Harvey. So they are both behind where they “should” be.

It will be interesting. ND probably has more talent on paper, but they are young and as has been mentioned haven’t played anybody.

I mean Hubb is averaging 9.5 pts with 2.5 assists per game. Not terrible especially for a Freshmen rated #87. I actually disagree that they are better on paper. Nobody has come close to replacing Colson, Vasturia, Farrell or even Geben. That was like 90% of their scoring. Mooney is playing well but he isn't Colson. He isn't even Geben.

Not sure you saw the game, but Griffin had a very sloppy 2 minutes. Like his potential, but AJ, Damonte rebounding and defense will keep them playing ahead of Griffin.

Agreed on both points with regards to AJ/DaMonte....also allegiance from BU to them may have something to do with it as long as they continue to effort and contribute, BU commends that. Could see AJ stepping aside a little as the season gets going however for "sake" of youngsters growth.

This team could compete if they still had Finke and Black and would be better with either of them.

Black would help, need that consistent inside scorer. Although not much bigger than Kipper, Black high arcing shot was consistent last year. Giorgi makes up for Finke's loss IMHO. Like Finke but he hit his ceiling two years ago.

Illinisteve25

Champaign
ND has played a very weak schedule thus far. Hope we can come out and play well. Expecting a close game. For some reason I think we finally figure out how to win a close game. ILLINI 84 ND 78

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
A win would be huge. It doesn't even matter whether they are as good this year, they have been a consistently good program for a while now, and we are on their court. It could be just the thing to get us going. We have shown we can compete with anyone when we are locked in, we just need to come out with that intensity.

It should be close, I don't see another ISU or Xavier letdown, I think the guys are coming out hungry. Illinois wins by four to six points.

Status
Not open for further replies.