Pregame: Illinois at Ohio State, Saturday, January 3rd, 2:30pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else concerned that coach said the Illini played great for 25-30 minutes? Despite having a 6 pt halftime lead, I thought we played absolutely horrible in the first half and should have been up 20+ had the team been awake. Michigan missed wide open shot after wide open shot and the Illini didn't capitalize. It was just a matter of time before shots started falling for Mich. And that 6pt halftime lead was due to one of the biggest boneheaded fouls by Mich (fouling on a layup when trying to use up a foul) at the end of the half you will ever see.

I sincerely hope that was just coach-speak and that the 1st half of the Mich game is not the benchmark for good play. It was a painful 1st half all around. No comment on the 2nd half.

Captain Trips-ville, Planet Houston
8.5 is a lot more one sided than I was thinking it would be. Especially considering OSU hasn't exactly looked like world beaters this year.
Not to rehash a painful event, but we collapsed against UM. Despite playing mediocre (at best), we were up 13 halfway through the 2nd half. We utterly gave the game away. And that's what's so discouraging.

We haven't answered any challenges thus far. OK, maybe Mizzou was a challenge, but they're not good.

OSU isn't nearly as good as they've been, but I see nothing awry with an 8 point spread.

This is a winnable game. But we have to play well for 40 minutes. Haven't seen it yet.

Captain Trips-ville, Planet Houston
Anyone else concerned that coach said the Illini played great for 25-30 minutes? Despite having a 6 pt halftime lead, I thought we played absolutely horrible in the first half and should have been up 20+ had the team been awake. Michigan missed wide open shot after wide open shot and the Illini didn't capitalize. It was just a matter of time before shots started falling for Mich. And that 6pt halftime lead was due to one of the biggest boneheaded fouls by Mich (fouling on a layup when trying to use up a foul) at the end of the half you will ever see.

I sincerely hope that was just coach-speak and that the 1st half of the Mich game is not the benchmark for good play. It was a painful 1st half all around. No comment on the 2nd half.
Not concerned. Coachspeak is entirely different than what's said in private or what's bouncing around in the coach's noggin. Groce is far from delusional.

Feeling good this morning. Illini victory! Thad Matta throws his headset.

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
I actually did think we played very good for the first 25-30 minutes. Not sure if I'm misremembering the game or if you guys are getting things clouded by the loss. I'd believe either, honestly, and I haven't re-watched the game to make a second assessment.

At any rate, that's neither here nor there. What matters is that we come out and play 40 minutes of great ball today and beat OSU!

8.5 is a lot more one sided than I was thinking it would be. Especially considering OSU hasn't exactly looked like world beaters this year.
It does seem like a high # considering the O/U is at 139. Iowa last week got 7 pts @ tOSU and of course they buried that.

Status
Not open for further replies.