Pregame: Illinois at Ohio State, Thursday, February 14th, 6:00pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29907

D
I was also thinking that they might double-team Giorgi when he has the ball. GB has already shown that playing behind him doesn't work too well. Another alternative would be if they try fronting him and denying the ball? Of course, that hopefully leaves him open for a well-placed lob.
In our offense I've noticed he moves from block to elbow and around. When they look to get it inside to GB - he moves up, the ball swings, he moves and he is able to pin his man behind him because of the ball swing, or his off ball movement. So its not a classic sit at the block and try to gain position which would allow the D to try to front him. Dakich was talking about beating the man to the spot to play good deny defense. So it starts very early in the offensive set.

I think (was it Iowa?) tried to front and then helped from behind which left our opposite corner wing wide open at the 3 but we refused to skip pass to that spot. We are so much further along in our offensive sets now I have no doubt we'll get good looks if they double - the question is will we hit them.

Edit: The other thing I noticed was a mini dump off to Dre coming down the lane when GB was doubled (or in trouble) once against Rutgers - interesting to see if that is normal play or was just two players making a play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or and hear me out, he can distribute the ball to the open player. He isn't Tim Duncan. Thats a lot to ask from a freshman but, I don't care how the ball goes in. I just want it to go in.
I like our percentage under the basket vs jumpers, just saying.

I think MOST important is slightly hyperbolic, but it would say a lot about this team. We have been hot lately, but we have not won a true road game in that stretch (NOT minimizing the Maryland win AT ALL) ... this would be an even louder statement to the Big Ten. To go on the road and win our fourth straight (and fifth out of six) on OSU's court, another team that is hot right now? I think that would really make us seem "for real" now.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Man, Giorgi was/is a steal for the Illini! Dont' want to jinx him; but play smart, Giorgi. We have absolutely nothing in common except our nearly un-pronounceable last names. Yeah, and you're 6'10" and I'm 5'8". The only common denominator that really matters: we love Illinois, don't we? Good for you, Giorgi.
I like how this post morphs from a general statement to Loyalty, to a conversation directly with Giorgi. Slip a monologue in next time and you'll have all your bases covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.