Pregame: Illinois at Ohio State, Thursday, February 14th, 6:00pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Let's say we finished 7th which is quite possible, would a the Tournament committee pick a team lower than us in conference if they had a better overall record over us?
Not enough info for a definitive answer. The conference tourney results would be a big factor, plus the strength of schedules, etc.

orange100

time to hop on the wife
I can't find buckeye basketball message board that is getting much traffic. Anyone know of one?

So as of now we are projected to finish 9th with a 8-12 record in BIG Play according to mred’s Big Ten Bracket generator. It seems most likely we will be in the 8-9 game, and if not probablyin the 7-10 game. With Minnesota, Ohio State, and Indiana are most likely first round opponents, and Michigan, Purdue, and Michigan State most likely to be the quarterfinal opponent, who would you guys most like to play in the first two games?

Deleted member 29907

D
So as of now we are projected to finish 9th with a 8-12 record in BIG Play according to mred’s Big Ten Bracket generator. It seems most likely we will be in the 8-9 game, and if not probablyin the 7-10 game. With Minnesota, Ohio State, and Indiana are most likely first round opponents, and Michigan, Purdue, and Michigan State most likely to be the quarterfinal opponent, who would you guys most like to play in the first two games?
Indiana has a rough schedule coming up where they could lose 6 in a row. My initial thought was to play them until they beat MSU at MSU and played Iowa tough but hopefully the upcoming schedule and our subsequent win over them will take away their will to live.

I would pick whichever first round opponent leads to no chance of Michigan in second round. Just feel that more than any other team (except maybe Wiscy), they have had our number. Let's put off playing them for as long as possible is my take.

Not enough info for a definitive answer. The conference tourney results would be a big factor, plus the strength of schedules, etc.

Haven't looked closely at it, but I could see us getting in the discussion if we won out, and won a game or two in the BTT. I just can't see us doing that though, even though we're playing well. Purdue and Wiscy on the road are a lot to ask. I'm just enjoying the ride right now. And if we keep this up, we should be capable of making a run in the BTT.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Haven't looked closely at it, but I could see us getting in the discussion if we won out, and won a game or two in the BTT. I just can't see us doing that though, even though we're playing well. Purdue and Wiscy on the road are a lot to ask. I'm just enjoying the ride right now. And if we keep this up, we should be capable of making a run in the BTT.

Purdont at Mackey is always rough and it seems like they let light come in from the tunnels intentionally to confuse teams...They also get to play Hai Karate defense on their homecourt....

BTW, I can't stand that stringbean 7fter cheerleader they have...Haarms ....yuck.........

4-3 to close the regular season and I am a happy man. A lot to feel good about if we get that.

I suspect the coach doesn't agree, but I would bet my beach houses that you are (will be) a happy man, probably (my estimate) a very happy man.

To add to this, Illinois is 0-12 under Underwood in the blue jerseys (this includes the exhibition loss to EIU last season). The blues are only worn away from home (the oranges are also available in the road rotation).

Let's take a look at the resurgence-

W Minnesota_____(White)
L @Iowa_________(Blue)
L Wisconsin_____(White)
W Maryland______(Orange)
L @Minnesota____(Blue)
W Nebraska______(White)
W Michigan St___(Orange Throwbacks)

W Rutgers_______(White)

Orange: 2-0
White: 3-1
Blue 0-2

In conclusion..only orange!
Thanks you. How about "Fighting Illini" vs "Illinois"?

The only way realistic way the Illini go dancing is to win the BTT. IMO.

I think you pretty much agreeing with what I said.

If we win all our remaining games but one, and get two in the BTT, we're in at 17-17. Not realistic, but possible.

Regardless, I hope I'm in a position to be proven wrong because that means we just went on some kind of a run and we'll be playing some sort of postseason bball.

Fun fact...

There are only three Big Ten schools that we have a winning record against on the road: Northwestern (62-28), Penn State (11-9) and Rutgers (2-1). By the way, that isn't as bad as it sounds, as it's the same case for most other schools, and we have a winning record at home against every program except for Maryland (1-3). Guess who one of our next best road records is against??

Ohio State: 41-48 in Columbus all-time! Woohoo!

And our most recent non-home game was a loss at unranked Minnesota. I just see us keeping it close throughout, but then OSU makes their free throws at the end.

I like our chances. I don't think the Buckeyes are all that great. Illini by 5.

SublimeBeast

Dieterich, IL
Unless we win the BTT, we are not dancing this season. Too much damage done the first half of the season. NIT? Maybe, if this team keeps playing up to their potential.

sacraig

The desert
The only way realistic way the Illini go dancing is to win the BTT. IMO.

This is the first year under a new selection system. I think it's foolish of us to act like we all know exactly how the committee selections will work. The odds are certainly stacked against us, but there is a lot of uncertainty here.

This is the first year under a new selection system. I think it's foolish of us to act like we all know exactly how the committee selections will work. The odds are certainly stacked against us, but there is a lot of uncertainty here.
Completely agree, Sacraig. Moreover IF we finish strong it will mean that we have amassed additional wins against ranked teams, tourney bound teams and road teams. Winning the BTT is simply the only way that we can guarantee a ticket to the dance.

I almost forgot the added motivation on this game in getting a head start in proving to EJ he made the wrong choice!

(I don't wish anything bad on the kid, just would have loved him in the O&B)

Status
Not open for further replies.