Pregame: Illinois at Ohio State, Thursday, March 5th, 6:00pm CT, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
#26
I'd like a repeat of this, please. :)


(2:50 is the beginning of the "Ayo ice in his veins" legend!)

EDIT: I guess Ayo iced it vs. Michigan State last year before this OSU one, huh? Here are his epic ice shots to date:

2019 vs. #9 Michigan State
2019 at Ohio State
2020 at Michigan
2020 at #9 Penn State
2020 vs. Indiana

Any others I'm missing?? GOD, we are lucky to have him.
 
#27
Can they punish us 1 on 1 inside? With their shooting I can us doing what we did vs Michigan sticking to the shooters and forcing them to win 1 on 1 battles.
Wesson is a load inside so yes and can shoot well from 3 so will pose issues for whichever big we put on him.
 
#28
I'd like a repeat of this, please. :)


(2:50 is the beginning of the "Ayo ice in his veins" legend!)

EDIT: I guess Ayo iced it vs. Michigan State last year before this OSU one, huh? Here are his epic ice shots to date:

2019 vs. #9 Michigan State
2019 at Ohio State
2020 at Michigan
2020 at #9 Penn State
2020 vs. Indiana


You missed the one that started the ball rolling this year -- Wiscy.
 
#29
I'd like a repeat of this, please. :)


(2:50 is the beginning of the "Ayo ice in his veins" legend!)

EDIT: I guess Ayo iced it vs. Michigan State last year before this OSU one, huh? Here are his epic ice shots to date:

2019 vs. #9 Michigan State
2019 at Ohio State
2020 at Michigan
2020 at #9 Penn State
2020 vs. Indiana

Any others I'm missing?? GOD, we are lucky to have him.
I might even count the home northwestern game this year it was 71-68 and he hit a huge jumper with 18 seconds left. Also against Rutgers at home he had that goaltended layup up 2 in the final minute.
He really is the man
 
#30
South Carolina
I'd like a repeat of this, please. :)


(2:50 is the beginning of the "Ayo ice in his veins" legend!)

EDIT: I guess Ayo iced it vs. Michigan State last year before this OSU one, huh? Here are his epic ice shots to date:

2019 vs. #9 Michigan State
2019 at Ohio State
2020 at Michigan
2020 at #9 Penn State
2020 vs. Indiana

Any others I'm missing?? GOD, we are lucky to have him.
at Wisconsin?
 
#31
We really have more options vs OSU as they aren’t that big. With Young out 6’6” at the four. Really think DaMonte can guard Liddell or even Alan as they both can rebound and help double Wesson.
 
#35
Team-Rankings 25% chances of winning at Ohio State AgreeDisagree?

Next game: Thu, Mar 5 at #7 Ohio State. Our power ratings give the Fighting Illini a 25% chance to win.
1) RE: the other responses above, I can't believe I forgot Wisconsin! Could have been Ayo's best ice!

2) These sites are all, well ... what they are. Entertainment and an attempt at having fun with a computer simulation. It's important to keep that in mind. When you come up with a formula and it spits out a ranking that doesn't jive with your preconceived notions, you can't tinker with it. That's the ranking you use, or your formula loses all credibility. With that said, any formula that ranks this team as the ninth best team in the conference is flawed at best and not so useful. My "arm chair expert" analysis would probably give us about a 30-40% chance on Thursday and a 50-60% chance vs. Iowa. There is no reason to believe this team can't win both.
 
#37
Is Young expected to be out again? Crazy how well they've played without one or both of Young and Carton. Best 3pt shooting team in conference play, worst 3 pt shooting defense. We'll have to hit ours to win. Need Fraizer to get his, Griffin having a lights out game again would be great too.

While I like to give credit to PSU, still think this is the hardest game since playing at MSU. Gonna need a plus offensive night to win, defense probably isn't enough to win, but I've been proven wrong about that in pretty much every game this year.

So much heart and BBIQ on this team, that'll level any playing field.
 
#40
1) RE: the other responses above, I can't believe I forgot Wisconsin! Could have been Ayo's best ice!

2) These sites are all, well ... what they are. Entertainment and an attempt at having fun with a computer simulation. It's important to keep that in mind. When you come up with a formula and it spits out a ranking that doesn't jive with your preconceived notions, you can't tinker with it. That's the ranking you use, or your formula loses all credibility. With that said, any formula that ranks this team as the ninth best team in the conference is flawed at best and not so useful. My "arm chair expert" analysis would probably give us about a 30-40% chance on Thursday and a 50-60% chance vs. Iowa. There is no reason to believe this team can't win both.
On the contrary, just because a model doesn't agree with your preconceived notion that Illinois is great doesn't mean it is flawed. Are we the 9th best team in the conference? Not a chance. However, these models all weight the whole season and the Mizzou and Miami losses plus lack of any meaningful wins in the nonconference season do a lot to kill our computer rankings. We played a fairly soft schedule and didn't do a darn thing with it to help ourselves.

That said, someone ought to come up with a computer model that weights recent performance more heavily and see how it compares. It would be interesting for sure.
 
#41
Charleston
Is Young expected to be out again? Crazy how well they've played without one or both of Young and Carton. Best 3pt shooting team in conference play, worst 3 pt shooting defense. We'll have to hit ours to win. Need Fraizer to get his, Griffin having a lights out game again would be great too.

While I like to give credit to PSU, still think this is the hardest game since playing at MSU. Gonna need a plus offensive night to win, defense probably isn't enough to win, but I've been proven wrong about that in pretty much every game this year.

So much heart and BBIQ on this team, that'll level any playing field.
The heart of this team is why I’m so optimistic this season.
 
#42
I have personal reasons to want the Iowa win badly, and we all kind of want revenge ... but this would be even bigger for our resume. Another roadkill at NET darling OSU?? Let’s go get this W!!
Illinois has 4 more big ten wins than Purdue this year. Illinois would surely have a better all time win percentage that Purdue now when the difference before is only .001.
 
#43
Illinois has 4 more big ten wins than Purdue this year. Illinois would surely have a better all time win percentage that Purdue now when the difference before is only .001.
I think this basic message comprises about 50% of all responses to me. ;) I updated it after we swept them, I will tinker with it again tonight, perhaps.
 
Likes: KevinC
#44
On the contrary, just because a model doesn't agree with your preconceived notion that Illinois is great doesn't mean it is flawed. Are we the 9th best team in the conference? Not a chance. However, these models all weight the whole season and the Mizzou and Miami losses plus lack of any meaningful wins in the nonconference season do a lot to kill our computer rankings. We played a fairly soft schedule and didn't do a darn thing with it to help ourselves.

That said, someone ought to come up with a computer model that weights recent performance more heavily and see how it compares. It would be interesting for sure.
absolutely believe that weighing early season and recent results is a real flaw in the rankings. It would be really interesting to see how our respective NET rankings would look {tOSU - 16, Ill - 36} if the Villanova and Kentucky wins, and Mizzoo and Miami loses were eliminated from the formula.
 
#45
Illinois has 4 more big ten wins than Purdue this year. Illinois would surely have a better all time win percentage that Purdue now when the difference before is only .001.
4 is not a very large number when compared against the total number of Big Ten games either of these teams have played in their histories.
 
#46
The Villages, FL
Pulling hard for Rutgers on Tuesday against Maryland. If they win and we have a chance to tie for first on Thursday, our guys will be VERY fired up.
Our guys have been fired up for many games now! They are a very strong willed team.
 
Likes: KevinC
#50
The Buckeyes are No. 2 among Big Ten teams in offensive efficiency during conference play and have the Big Ten’s second-best 3-point percentage. But Ohio State is the worst in the conference at defending the three

This would be a great game for TF and TG to each get a few 3's, and everyone put it all together to get another road victory.
 
Likes: Pop'sBlackDog
Status
Not open for further replies.