Pregame: Illinois at Ohio State, Thursday, March 5th, 6:00pm CT, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the advantage we could see is Georgi an Kofi on the court together again. It worked against Indiana
and this match up seems to favor it as well.

My prediction: Giorgi triumphantly returns with 13 and 7. We squeak by 74-71.

I should also add we finally look like we've hit our stride and are a team no one wants to play. Go Illini!
Didn't Giorgi have a big game in Columbus last year. Seems to remember him hitting some big shots and have some big blocks. Obviously, he'll be playing different position and it is a different year, but like the way you're thinking.

Illini_1979

Oregon
Didn't Giorgi have a big game in Columbus last year. Seems to remember him hitting some big shots and have some big blocks. Obviously, he'll be playing different position and it is a different year, but like the way you're thinking.
What's going on here? We have two correct spellings of Giorgi in the same post. Well done to you both! Go Illini.

Assuming Jacob will be as good as Kipper

1583278481509.png

Motivators jump up another notch for the Illini with Maryland loss. Who would have dreamed our guys would be battling for a B1G title with two games to go after losing to Md. and MSU by 1 point.

If OSU wins two more and we lose two more, it's a tie at 12-8.

It's no surprise writers have OSU above us. They're well ahead of us in advanced metrics, and their quadrant wins/losses look better than ours. They've also got five rotation players shooting 40% or better from three. We've got three shooting 30% or better.

That said, we play much better when we're the underdogs, and if Minnesota can win at OSU, so can we.
Thanks for pointing that out Urban. I am old and was reading those tiny printed standings on ESPN without reading glasses and was actually looking at Purdue's record of 8-10. Sounded about right to me as I knew OSU lost about 25 or so in a row in Jan. You are correct. So.....just go beat 'em with great coverage on their perimeter shooters and keep Kofi on the floor for all of Wesson's fakes.

Things just got more interesting
Yup, and should give us more energy and focus. There might be a pucker factor for a couple of guys...but why not look at it as playing with house money and without fear. Not one single person thought they would get to this spot as they looked at Ayo writhing on the floor in pain and the Illini a point shy and taking their fourth consecutive loss. The B1G title hopes were dead....but they seemingly learned something from Jesus to sit once again at the top of the B1G almighty. They aren't very good....but they are good enough to beat (or get beaten by) anyone else. Go beat the Buck/Hawk/eyes!!!

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Robert from illiniboard thinks this is the biggest Illini sporting event since the rose bowl. Agree or disagree?

It's a hot take, but I like it.

It's big. If we're the big boy program we think we are now, we respond and take it to OSU and Iowa to end the season. If not, we crumble.

Off topic a bit... What are Underwood's chances of winning B1G coach of the year with Chambers and Pickiel fading down the stretch?

If we win these last 2, I think he's got it in the bag

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Winning a B1G championship is bigger than winning a round of 32 game IMO.
I disagree 100%. There may be five teams claiming a Big 10 championship this year --- those tying for the regular season title and then splitting it with the tournament champ. Making it to the Sweet 16, on the other hand, and playing on the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament will be HUGE for recruiting. That means that newspapers and ESPN/FOX will be talking about us for nearly two weeks after the Big 10 season is over!

haasi

New York
Off topic a bit... What are Underwood's chances of winning B1G coach of the year with Chambers and Pickiel fading down the stretch?

If we win these last 2, I think he's got it in the bag
also Turgeon and Fran’s chances took a blow tonight. Gard has a decent shot. Will definitely come down to the final week here.

Robert from illiniboard thinks this is the biggest Illini sporting event since the rose bowl. Agree or disagree?
Strongly disagree....but which Rose Bowl? '63 was pretty amazing....but Illini hoops have won huge and meaningful games routinely over the 7 decades I have been watching. This one is pretty meaningful because of who these guys are and from where they...and the program...have come. Will they be loose and motivated or nervous and tight? A few will fall in both camps. Not as important for OSU who wants to put the upstarts in their place. Well, I was at courtside in Bloomington in 63 when the Hoosiers put Gary Brads and the Buckeyes in their place giving the Illini a B1G title and we don't need no stinkin' Hoosiers to help us this time. Just score more points and everything is fine.

I'd like a repeat of this, please. :)

(2:50 is the beginning of the "Ayo ice in his veins" legend!)

EDIT: I guess Ayo iced it vs. Michigan State last year before this OSU one, huh? Here are his epic ice shots to date:

2019 vs. #9 Michigan State
2019 at Ohio State
2020 at Michigan
2020 at #9 Penn State
2020 vs. Indiana

Any others I'm missing?? GOD, we are lucky to have him.

Missing the stepback crossover 3 at Wisky this year

Winning a B1G championship is bigger than winning a round of 32 game IMO.
Does beating OSU give Illini a B1G championship? Could make an argument for the Iowa game if Illini win this game (and we have chance for B1G title still), but not for the game that gets us to the game that might lead to a B1G championship. Under “normal” circumstances, I’d still go with round of 32 game over Iowa game, but considering where program has been of late I’d pick the Iowa game. But Thursday’s game? No.

Reactions: RML
Status
Not open for further replies.