Pregame: Illinois at Ohio State, Thursday, March 5th, 6:00pm CT, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illini_1979

Oregon
Fair point.

If you look at the stats on Sports Reference, we are still trailing and Maryland (if you count them) should be in the lead. Having said that, I don't know how up to date the site is (though our current record is correct, so I suspect it is updated).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-ten/schools.html
We're ignoring Maryland (.724), right? I mean, six years in the conference is nothing. Probably need to set a minimum number of years in the conference (10?, 15?, 20?) to count.

We surpass Purdue if:

1. Purdue splits last two games, then loses 1st game in BTT, and first game in NCAA/NIT.
2. Illini winout regular season, win BTT, lose in sweet sixteen

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Want to avoid the 7/8 seed? Beat Ohio State.

My prediction: Giorgi triumphantly returns with 13 and 7. We squeak by 74-71.

I should also add we finally look like we've hit our stride and are a team no one wants to play. Go Illini!

Wow...what a huge motivator for the Illini....OSU comes in at #19 in AP poll while Illini almost ignored but put at #22. No one thinks our guys can win in Columbus and have written them off. Pretty sure that no one connected with OSU hoops likes that scenario....Illini are tough enough to beat without a huge chip on the shoulder. Love it!!

IF OSU wins their final 2 and the Illini lose out, the Buckeyes finish two games back of Illini for the B1G season. Yet writers like how the Buckeyes "LOOK". Can't fix stupid...unless the fix is in.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
I’m getting awfully greedy now...after the win at PSU, I looked at the remaining games and thought only losing at OSU would be fine...not anymore. I’ve got that old orange Kool aid taste again, and I want MORE! Beat OSU (who should not be higher ranked based on play in the toughest league in the country) and DESTROY those smirking a-holes from that annexed cornfield they call a state.

Have to protect the three point line except against Liddell and Young. Got by today with IU shooting 50% from three and out rebounding us. Don’t want to try that again.

They're the best 3 pt shooting team in the conference. It haunts me to think how bad our perimeter defense was early in the season. A lot better now, and hopefully up to the task.

I believe we have the right guy too. Very happy to have him. Holtmann coached 3 years at Butler and now is in his 3rd at Ohio St. Has made the tourney all 5 years and ended 3 of those seasons in the AP top 25. He is a solid coach.
Yeah I like Holtmann much better than Miller. I think he's coached very well, but knock against him would be that he's never built a program which really isn't that big of a deal because he didn't need to do that at OSU. Would be nice to get a win against him this week to push Underwood further up the list.

Miller I've just never been impressed with. Just checked and his record against AP top 25 at Dayton is poor, and without this no-call he never has that E8 run which is really the only accolade to his career.

Edit: for the record I'm not saying its a bad no-call, but Craft was fouled; he was also out of control.

Last edited:
tOSU is really thin if Young doesn't play. The play with basically a six man rotation. Also not very big. I say we go inside often and challenge them to stop us. Get (big) Wesson in foul trouble and it's game over.

IF OSU wins their final 2 and the Illini lose out, the Buckeyes finish two games back of Illini for the B1G season. Yet writers like how the Buckeyes "LOOK". Can't fix stupid...unless the fix is in.

If OSU wins two more and we lose two more, it's a tie at 12-8.

It's no surprise writers have OSU above us. They're well ahead of us in advanced metrics, and their quadrant wins/losses look better than ours. They've also got five rotation players shooting 40% or better from three. We've got three shooting 30% or better.

That said, we play much better when we're the underdogs, and if Minnesota can win at OSU, so can we.

FIFY

Methinks our support guys have a lot to do with BU's success. Great to hear they signed on for another go around.
Absolutely right but giving him credit for hiring them and then listening to them.

They're the best 3 pt shooting team in the conference. It haunts me to think how bad our perimeter defense was early in the season. A lot better now, and hopefully up to the task.
OSU is also a top 10 team nationally for 2p defense. Not a great matchup for us by the numbers. We didnt look great on boards against Indiana at home. I'm a realist...we will have to step up our game to win either of the next 2 games, IMO. Go Illini!

Believe I read that Ohio State is last in the B10 at defending the three. Frazier breakout potential....... Hoping. Really would be fun to light it up from long range. If we are going to make a run in the dance then I would have to imagine that in at least one of those games we are going to have to make something like 10-12 3's. I fully understand that isn't our offensive philosophy but we are going to need it in our arsenal.

Sorry didn’t know where else to post this but, after watching Texas Tech-Baylor last night I honestly feel like we were a TJ Holyfield away from winning the B1G(I know we still have a shot) and have a decent chance at a Final Four. Would’ve given us a nice stretch four and more versatile with lineups.
Thought before the season it was a great weakness but Kofi playing big minutes and Kipper being decent has minimized it. Still a big weakness next year unless Giorgi, BBV, or Coleman surprises. Liddell would have helped but he is small for some of the matchups. Really high talent at the other positions with depth. Assuming Jacob will be as good as Kipper still expect Giorgi with most minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.