Pregame: Illinois at Penn State, Tuesday, February 18th, 5:30pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. Go back and watch some 2005 highlights ... those players were obviously very talented, but they didn’t just dominate by taking players one on one or making circus shots. They looked like any other average to good team until - before the other team knew it - their constant passing and moving off the ball produced multiple open looks, looks that we capitalized on. We stayed in games with our defense and offensive talent, but we put teams away night after night with good passing and hitting open shots.
Amen
14 or 15 passes, I lost count :)
"Open shot is going to come" Steve Bardo

This. Go back and watch some 2005 highlights ... those players were obviously very talented, but they didn’t just dominate by taking players one on one or making circus shots. They looked like any other average to good team until - before the other team knew it - their constant passing and moving off the ball produced multiple open looks, looks that we capitalized on. We stayed in games with our defense and offensive talent, but we put teams away night after night with good passing and hitting open shots.
Yeah, I caught some of the San Diego St. game yesterday. Reminded me a lot of our 2005 team. Good movement and crisp passing. Lots of wide open shots. Too bad we haven't gotten there yet. I think we're close, though.

Hoping we can start to right the ship a little bit...been a rough couple of weeks for the beloved. Beating Penn State would be a nice way to start to rebound.

Then why bother? I mean, we already lost five in a row. We might never win again. We should just throw in the towel in every game.

Exactly. Not much of chance even with Ayo? It’s a cliche but true-That’s why they play the game. I know one thing. If we shoot 29%, we’ll probably lose. Like RP McMurphy once said. It’s an old Indian game. Called put the ball in the hole.

This was more fun during the 7 game win streak...time to start having fun again.

My hope was there would be a silver lining in Ayo missing a few games, in that Trent would find his swagger again...whynot @ PSU.

I wish he'd elaborate more on Ayo's actual injury. The day-to-day comment is appreciated, but is it day-to-day because of pain? Swelling? Stiffness? Quite honestly, this isn't any of the fans business and his health is first and foremost #1, but the lack of detail, the lack of him practicing, along with Ayo not commenting whatsoever....makes me wonder if the timeframe expected for return is beyond the amount of time left in the season.

Either way, it is what it is. Have to win with the parts available.

I'd like to know if Ayo is practicing at all. "Day by day" could mean he plays tomorrow, or he plays next year.

Hoopster

Peoria, IL in a van down by the river
I saw somewhere that this is going to be one of FS1's all access coaches broadcasts, has anyone seen one of these before. They're awesome, no real commercial breaks coaches are mic'd up for the game and you listen in during timeouts and half time, can't wait

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
I wish he'd elaborate more on Ayo's actual injury. The day-to-day comment is appreciated, but is it day-to-day because of pain? Swelling? Stiffness? Quite honestly, this isn't any of the fans business and his health is first and foremost #1, but the lack of detail, the lack of him practicing, along with Ayo not commenting whatsoever....makes me wonder if the timeframe expected for return is beyond the amount of time left in the season.

Either way, it is what it is. Have to win with the parts available.
I suspect more than anything that BU is trying to make Penn State plan for Ayo, even though he won't be playing. But we'll see :).

Yeah, I caught some of the San Diego St. game yesterday. Reminded me a lot of our 2005 team. Good movement and crisp passing. Lots of wide open shots. Too bad we haven't gotten there yet. I think we're close, though.
And the Defense is something special

PSU -8, on the road, missing our leading scorer/assist leader, is gonna be more than a challenge. It would sure be nice to just see the guys play lose, carefree basketball. Attack the rim, not press a quick 23 footer and find a really nice win.

With all that said, it's weird for me, this game, with all things considered (including 4 losses in a row) seems like a bonus game. Nothing lost with a loss. Really nice resume builder with a win.

Going into this stretch following the Minnesota win, we knew this was going to be a tough few weeks (and that was well before Ayo's injury.) At this point, we are where most of us had hoped at the start of the season, still comfortably in the tournament. @Wisconsin, @Purdue, @Michigan allowed for this stretch. Those 3 road wins were so big for the outlook of this season!

Regardless of tomorrow night's outcome (hoping like crazy for a gigantic win), we are poised to pick up some serious momentum heading towards Indianapolis.

ILL!

I know there is a lot of negativity on here right now, but what a great opportunity this game is. Top 10 ap team (17 in NET). This would be a signature win and take a lot of pressure off for the next few games. PSU has a winning streak and we have a losing streak. They have to end sometime. One good shooting night with better defensive effort and it isn’t far fetched to think we would be in it to the end.

the national

the Front Range
I know there is a lot of negativity on here right now, but what a great opportunity this game is. Top 10 ap team (17 in NET). This would be a signature win and take a lot of pressure off for the next few games. PSU has a winning streak and we have a losing streak. They have to end sometime. One good shooting night with better defensive effort and it isn’t far fetched to think we would be in it to the end.
It’s setting up Nicely for that. This is a great great opportunity to win on the road. That’s where we got tough in our last run. This would be signature time start our streak here. Gotta play that stout defense

And the Defense is something special
On San Diego St....didnt realize Dutchers B10 roots . Minn grad, Illini grad asst (83-85), Mich asst head coach and San Diego Asst head coach forever. Steve Fisher tree and a little Lou Henson :) they obviously have good program and special chemistry this year (ala Illini o. 05).

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
I'm looking for Tev to repeat his MSG game from last year. Finally in the rotation, knows he will get minutes, and is the "unexpected guy to go off" for us this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.