Pregame: Illinois at Purdue, Saturday, March 7th, 3:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine Hammond not be up for this game or any other Purdue player for that matter. This one is going to be a dogfight. I just hope we are hot from the perimeter as Purdue is going to be difficult to control.
If you have a handle on Hammond's motivation, Matt Painter will take your call.

Win this, and we go to the Senior Prom with a hot cheerleader. Lose, and we get invited to a Sadie Hawkins Dance...by our sister....who also has a lousy personality.

(Please excuse the obvious chauvinistic tenor of my metaphor)

Chicagoland
Keep in mind everyone that we DID beat Purdue already once this year.

That was without Rice, too.

I think Groce realized this already as well, and as such gave him some well needed rest during the Nebraska game. I expected Egwu to play near the full game against Nebraska, but he subbed him out for Black/AC one or two more times than I expected. I think that little things such as that will help.
Agreed. Allowing Egwu to get a breather and stay out of foul trouble has been a huge benefit of Colbert's progress.

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
Agreed. Allowing Egwu to get a breather and stay out of foul trouble has been a huge benefit of Colbert's progress.
I think those 2 things are a bit related. I have no evidence other than my eyes, but I think a fair proportion of Egwu's "dumber" fouls come when he's tired.

New York
nice article by McColley about Nebraska and Purdue games.

http://illinireport.info/2015/03/one-one-go/

didn't realize that Petteway went 1 for 9 (!) from 3. Wow. I knew he was chucking but that really saved us. He did hit a lot of deep 2s.

liked McColley's bits about us matching up well with PU - wish he would have expanded on that a bit because I think there's some good analysis to be done there - and about Painter's reluctance to play twin towers or switch up defenses against us, which both could work to his advantage

He linked to a PU rivals thread saying that their fans aren't confident, but I looked at the page and it looks like most do think they'll win.

Charlotte, NC
nice article by McColley about Nebraska and Purdue games.

http://illinireport.info/2015/03/one-one-go/

didn't realize that Petteway went 1 for 9 (!) from 3. Wow. I knew he was chucking but that really saved us. He did hit a lot of deep 2s.

liked McColley's bits about us matching up well with PU - wish he would have expanded on that a bit because I think there's some good analysis to be done there - and about Painter's reluctance to play twin towers or switch up defenses against us, which both could work to his advantage

He linked to a PU rivals thread saying that their fans aren't confident, but I looked at the page and it looks like most do think they'll win.
Painter did play both of them at the same time against MSU. But I hope that was just a one time thing.

Painter did play both of them at the same time against MSU. But I hope that was just a one time thing.
The Boiler offense was completely stagnant with both Haas and Hammons ion the floor. I think that would greatly benefit Illinois.

Seems like one team or one player will need to get hot for either team to win.

I'm curious to see if Purdue will experiment with his bigs in this game. They don't normally play Haas and Hammons but they did for a bit in the last game. They'll be desperate for a win, so I'm sure they'll try that out again if they struggle with their guards and don't pick up many fouls early on.

In most games, we stand a better chance when we keep the score in the 60s, but I think that's Purdue's comfort zone as well. If two of our guards can click at the same time I would hope that we can push the pace and try to draw some fouls.. Hill may continue to struggle with his shooting, but he's adapted well and has gotten to the line quite a bit in the last few games, which may be key in this game. Hill has averaged 5.4 freethrows in the past 6 games, and Rice has averaged 5.1, even though he only had 1 attempt in his first two games back (I chose 6 games because that's when Rice returned from his injury).

Another interesting tidbit, Stephens scored 16 points in the last game, going 5-8 from 3. He hasn't scored in double figures in back to back games since 1/17, and that's the only time it has happened in conference play, which isn't surprising since teams know he's just a perimeter threat. He's also only made 9 2's in conference play.

Pomeroy has us with a 33% chance to win tomorrow. I think that's pretty accurate and think the game will be close regardless.

Last time we won at Mackey, IL Governor Rod Blagojevich named Roland Burris for the President-elect Barack Obama's vacant Senate seat that day. 2008.

IMO, most signs point to a Purdue win.....

-Purdue Home game at a sold out electric Mackey Arena (7-1 in B10 play)

-Sr. Night/Last Home Game of Season

-Revenge Game (Ill defeted PU in CU)

-Win likely punches PU's ticket to NCAA

-Win and PU remains in contention for #4 seed and double bye in BTT/ Lose
and could fall to a #6 seed.

-Kendall Stephens is healthy and will play in the rematch (played 12 injured mins in 1st game).
JCOnline--A loss to Illinois might also cripple Purdue's NCAA tournament chances.
"We're looking at it as this is our season," said sophomore guard Kendall Stephens, who
ended his shooting slump with five 3-pointers and 16 points against the Spartans. "it's
definitely a must-win for us."

-Purdue has made more free throws (98) at Mackey Arena than opponents have shot (96).

-Purdue has outshot 15 of 17 big ten opponents.

IMO, our only hope is forcing 15+ Purdue turnovers and scoring off those turnovers. Hope Groce presses them at various times and pressures the ball hard. Purdue is dead last in the big ten in TO/Game. We need "turnovers for touchdowns".

I think Purdue wins by 6. Hope I am wrong.

Go Illini.

Admin

Groce: The games between us and Purdue have been physical. A lot of games are physcial. College bball in general is physical.

Groce: Austin's a big part of what we're doing right now. His minutes have been really good the last 10 games.

Groce: Colbert has worked his way into where he's a major part of our rotation.

Groce: Do I think we've got a lot of tournament teams right now in our league that are probably undervalued? No question.

Groce: I think Purdue is really good. 11-6 in our league, my guess normal years that team is normally in. I'm not on committee tho

Groce: But I know leagues don't get bids, teams do.

Groce: We've played really, really well the last two games. Really well.

Groce: Octeus is playing at a really high level. Raphael Davis has really stepped it up on both ends. Love his game "Junkyard dog"

Groce: There's a lot of changes since game in January. Our team has changed a lot. They've played really well here down the stretch.

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU

Last time we won at Mackey, IL Governor Rod Blagojevich named Roland Burris for the President-elect Barack Obama's vacant Senate seat that day. 2008.

IMO, most signs point to a Purdue win.....

-Purdue Home game at a sold out electric Mackey Arena (7-1 in B10 play)

-Sr. Night/Last Home Game of Season

-Revenge Game (Ill defeted PU in CU)

-Win likely punches PU's ticket to NCAA

-Win and PU remains in contention for #4 seed and double bye in BTT/ Lose
and could fall to a #6 seed.

-Kendall Stephens is healthy and will play in the rematch (played 12 injured mins in 1st game).
JCOnline--A loss to Illinois might also cripple Purdue's NCAA tournament chances.
"We're looking at it as this is our season," said sophomore guard Kendall Stephens, who
ended his shooting slump with five 3-pointers and 16 points against the Spartans. "it's
definitely a must-win for us."

-Purdue has made more free throws (98) at Mackey Arena than opponents have shot (96).

-Purdue has outshot 15 of 17 big ten opponents.
Holy Schnikes! That bolded line is really, really interesting and telling.

Our guys know season rides on this game as well. I'd be lying if I said I felt optimistic, but we've got three seniors who play meaningful minutes compared to their one. Hope our collective sense of urgency outweighs theirs.

Bloomington
Not looking forward to this one. My 3 Keys:
1. Illinois transition buckets, points off TOs
2. Get to the line, rack up fouls on their bugs
3. Purdue is cold from 3

Geneseo, IL
I really hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see Illinois winning tomorrow. The Illini are not a good road team, and have looked impressive only once out of their last five games (NW). They have not won for years at Purdue. There is just nothing about the way the Illini are playing that makes me think they can win there.

Status
Not open for further replies.