Pregame: Illinois at Purdue, Saturday, November 4th, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Smith won't let the kids tackle in practice. It is hard to learn to do something well if you aren't allowed to practice it.

Do they not use tackling dummies? Do they not do tackling drills? I'm pretty sure they do, they just don't hit at full speed in practice.

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
Still predicting 2-10 this season.......

PUR 38
ILL 14

Too many injuries, a lack of upper classmen, and a major lack of talent. As always, we score one of our touchdowns late in the game after the outcome is already decided. And perhaps Chayce will make another appearance at QB this game (guessing because of injury to JGJ).

NOT Leading with your head, NOT hitting a wr in the head/helmet isn't really something that needs to be "practiced."

It really isn't that simple. There are dozens of targeting penalties every Saturday. This isn't an Illinois problem, this is happening to tons of programs around the country.

IMO getting kicked out of a game is way to harsh of a penalty. In any other sport you get a warning before getting kicked out, unless the offense is really bad (throwing punches, etc.).

There is a very fine line between trying to do your job as a db, and earning a targeting penalty. Some of them are clearly dirty hits, where the db is launching head first and spearheading the receiver. I'm fine with those guys getting thrown out. But 95% of targeting calls are bang bang plays where it is very tough to avoid. The penalty must be weakened.

Dren1

Glenview, IL

PUR 38
ILL 14

Too many injuries, a lack of upper classmen, and a major lack of talent. As always, we score one of our touchdowns late in the game after the outcome is already decided. And perhaps Chayce will make another appearance at QB this game (guessing because of injury to JGJ).
I am not very optimistic about wins and losses this year (the next few years will hopefully be a different story) but I believe we will keep it much closer than your opinion. I think the improving linebacker play will help the entire defense and will keep the game close. I also don't think Brohm is quite the miracle worker he looked to be earlier in the season. JMO.

riffraff

Peoria
Smith won't let the kids tackle in practice. It is hard to learn to do something well if you aren't allowed to practice it.

NOT Leading with your head, NOT hitting a wr in the head/helmet isn't really something that needs to be "practiced."

Learning what not to do is a bad way to learn what to do. What the kids should learn is how to tackle without picking up a targeting penalty. Exactly where do you put your head to not target but still make an effective tackle: "Well, he missed that tackle, but at least he didn't target."

I'd rather be able to say, "Wow, did you see that tackle!" And not mention targeting at all. You want to get the player where he's tackling correctly without thinking about "not targeting."

As a youth rugby coach, I can say we spend more time on practicing safe and effective tackling than anything else besides maybe passing. It's difficult to get kids to tackle legally when high tackles are penalized severely and head contact even with your arms can get you thrown out of the match and next week's match as well. Maybe the Illini need to get Avatus to teach rugby-style tackling like you see with the Seattle Seahawks and Ohio State Buckeys. It is safer (and thus you can get more reps in practice, even without pads) and very effective.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]8T-Y-7ZOBFM[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]a-UVSmxINPs[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]9C1JnSQ-V4o[/YOUTUBE]

illini80

Forgottonia

PUR 38
ILL 14

Is JGJ injured or are you speculating Crouch will play if he is?

I for one am pumped for the game. I bought my tickets a month or so ago and was regretting it after losing to Rutgers. The teams fight against Minnesota and Wisconsin have me much more even keel.

Hopefully our offense can find a way to score touchdowns.

I'll be tailgating in the Black/Gold lot. Hope to see some fellow Illini fans!

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I thought I saw that Cam was also injured

Cam suffered an ankle injury of unspecified seriousness in the Wisc game. Most injury reports list him as questionable (or some equally vague adjective) for the game. Lovie is pretty closed-mouthed about injuries, so who knows. Would have to think that unless the ankle is completely healed, it would be pretty foolish to put him out there at this point.

Was just wondering today if we were gonna break out that combo.

breadman

Herndon, VA
From these last couple of games watching Cam Thomas, it is easy to see why the coaching staff recruited him. His upside is huge and I really want to see more of him on the field.

So bummed to miss his game in my backyard. Will be bravely sporting the Illini blanket for HS football tonight and a soccer tournament with the youngest this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.