Pregame: Illinois at Purdue, Saturday, October 26th, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything in life is relative. So, .............

If you decide to lay an egg, lay one that is smaller than the one PU lays, please.

We will win.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I'm going to just try to enjoy the epic upset of Wisconsin for the rest of the week ... but MAN, a win here would actually have me excited for the remainder of the season. If we can beat Purdue on the road and not have a letdown after that big upset, I mean ... there isn't a game left I go into "not expecting anything" anymore. And isn't that all we've really wanted for over a decade now? I'll pick with my heart:

Illinois 31
Purdue 28

(FIELD GOAL U!)

I'm going to go with symmetry. Last year, we bludgeoned Minny at our place. This year, they "bludgeoned" us at there's.
Last year, Pdonts bludgeoned us at our place, this year, let's just duplicate the one point win over Wisky, and I'll sleep better this Saturday night.

What you are describing is usually called a medical hardship waiver, or 6th year of eligibility. He would have to apply for that after next year, his 5th year. As you mentioned, he would have a tough case. Those are typically granted to players who have been unable to play for two or more seasons due to injury or other circumstances outside of their control, or for some extraordinary hardship. Illinois fans might remember Corey Lewis getting a sixth year of eligibility after missing two years due to tearing his ACL multiple times.

That’s not what I was referring to but I’m incorrect regardless. I didn’t realize the medical redshirt held a strict criteria for games played during the season for which the player would apply. Trevor should have played in 5, which wouldn’t meet the criteria.

Long story short, you are right and I am wrong. Tough break all around for a good kid.

Last edited:
I believe the biggest change is we actually have GROWN A-- MEN out there playing football for the first time in years

Deleted member 533939

D
I just can't help but assume that they'll regress to the mean and lose to Purdue by double digits. They've burned me too many times to be optimistic.

Well...this one is very hard to predict..think we lose because our pass defense is worse than our run defense and they will mostly pass..but I think we have a decent chance

That’s not what I was referring to but I’m incorrect regardless. I didn’t realize the medical redshirt held a strict criteria for games played during the season for which the player would apply. Trevor should have played in 5, which wouldn’t meet the criteria.

Long story short, you are right and I am wrong. Tough break all around for a good kid.
The key thing with redshirts is that everyone gets 5 years to play 4. It doesn't matter the reason for the redshirt: medical, transfer, or maybe just not big or good enough to see the field. (In fact, I don't believe there is any official designation of redshirts.) This is his fourth year, so barring a medical hardship waiver, next year will be his fifth and final year.

Purdue
Rushing 59 yards per game
Passing 324 yards per game

What adjustments do you think Lovie needs to make to try and shut down their passing game?

Purdue

What adjustments do you think Lovie needs to make to try and shut down their passing game?

Blitz. Plain and simple. I know people are going to say that we will get burned in man, but would we rather get eaten alive on long, tiring drives when the QB has all day to throw? When we got pressure on Wisconsin's QB, we almost forced two fumbles.

Blitz. Plain and simple. I know people are going to say that we will get burned in man, but would we rather get eaten alive on long, tiring drives when the QB has all day to throw? When we got pressure on Wisconsin's QB, we almost forced two fumbles.

That will be very scary against a team like Purdue, a team that begs you to chase defensively. That’s not what I would recommend.

Purdue wants to win in space. You tackle in space, you’ll probably beat Purdue.

The Lafayette radio Drive time sport show predicted Purdue 35-10. The rationale is that we would be hung over, and the turnovers we force are a fluke. They will have a freshman quarterback throwing to a freshman wide receiver. Guess we’ll see if they’re right.

They realize they play the team and not the really really happy partying fans right? Hangover lol. I get the old adage but come on.

That will be very scary against a team like Purdue, a team that begs you to chase defensively. That’s not what I would recommend.

Purdue wants to win in space. You tackle in space, you’ll probably beat Purdue.

So tackle in space after a 20 yard completion in the weak spot of the zone? No thanks. Sorry but it is going to have to be an aggressive defensive scheme to put pressure on their weakened OL in order to get this win. They sit back and play zone and you will have a repeat of last year's massacre.

Deleted member 654622

D
Purdue

Turning the D line into dudes that generate a pass rush. That is the single most effective thing that helps against any passing offense

So tackle in space after a 20 yard completion in the weak spot of the zone? No thanks. Sorry but it is going to have to be an aggressive defensive scheme to put pressure on their weakened OL in order to get this win. They sit back and play zone and you will have a repeat of last year's massacre.

You didn’t watch that game last year I take it? Two of their TDs were trick plays, 2 were off playaction, 1 was a bubble screen. The play that set up the score on the bubble screen was a 50 something yard playaction go route off a blitz and Cover 0. They want you to chase them.

If Wisconsin taught us anything, it’s that running your offense/defense directly into the opposing team’s game plan is not a recipe for success.

Last edited:
You didn’t watch that game last year I take it? Two of their TDs were trick plays, 2 were off playaction, 1 was a bubble screen. The play that set up the score on the bubble screen was a 50 something yard playaction go route off a blitz and Cover 0. They want you to chase them.

If Wisconsin taught us anything, it’s that running your offense/defense directly into the opposing team’s game plan is not a recipe for success.

Not only was I there (way to cherry pick about five plays that leave out how many times they decimated this defense over the middle), I’ve also coached defense before at a state champion high school. So I certainly don’t need lessons on defensive scheming. Illinois doesn’t necessarily need to play man in order to blitz, but if you think we have had a lot of success getting pressure with just our front four, then you’ve been watching the wrong team.

Deleted member 654622

D
Illinois Loyalty - full of information and
tumblr_nskkb4I39P1qhmfcoo6_500.gif

Not only was I there (way to cherry pick about five plays that leave out how many times they decimated this defense over the middle), I’ve also coached defense before at a state champion high school. So I certainly don’t need lessons on defensive scheming. Illinois doesn’t necessarily need to play man in order to blitz, but if you think we have had a lot of success getting pressure with just our front four, then you’ve been watching the wrong team.

What? I mean, I called out 5 touchdowns. Those plays represent 34 of their 46 points. That’s not “cherry picking” anything, it’s simply showing how and why they scored. I would be more than happy to breakdown the entirety of that game film if you’re up for it. That is something I truly enjoy.

Jeff Brohm’s entire offensive philosophy is based off of misdirection and relying on his WRs in space (Which is one reason why his WRs are asked to block down field more than any team we’ll see. They got away with a lot of questionable stuff last season). He wants to draw you in with the blitz to set up the screen, he wants you to sell out on the playaction, he wants your defense to overflow to one side so he can hit you with the reverse (Different effectiveness without Rondale Moore, obviously) or the gadget plays he likes to call and he really, really, REALLY wants you short on players in the secondary so he can get one on one matchups in space against less athletic linebackers (Where we got touched last season) or now, outside the hash or on the dig with David Bell. We played almost solely Cover 0 and Man 1 single high last week and heavily attacked the LOS because Wisconsin is not interested in that type of game. They will (And did, when you break the film down) ignore a WR in a Cover 0 set with no high safety if they’ve broken the huddle with a run play called. They don’t care that they have a favorable look outside, they’d rather run the football. Purdue will not do this.

I agree wholeheartedly that we will struggle rushing the passer with 4 down lineman, especially if Betiku’s injury is game threatening, I’m just not sure I care much. You don’t beat Purdue by chasing the action, you beat Purdue by filling up passing lanes and preventing YAC. If you can play strong assignment football (We’ll see come Saturday) with single high safety towards David Bell and you can fill the middle of the field with defenders to prevent the easy YAC that killed us last season, you force Jack Plummer into a situation where he can only get down the field on his own accord. That, my friend, is where we gain the upper hand. If we were playing Nebraska I would agree with you 100% and say blitz, blitz and blitz some more. You beat Nebraska by forcing Adrian Martinez to process the defense faster than he wants to, which limits his ability to decide where to go with the RPO and frankly his accuracy comes and goes when pressured. But this isn’t Nebraska. Scott Frost wants his OL to maximize the time Adrian Martinez gets to process what is happening in front of him, Jeff Brohm only wants space. If we want to win, we need to take away that space. Otherwise, yeah, it could be a long day. Keeping our defense off the field for 40 minutes isn’t a bad idea either....

BZuppke

Plainfield
Traditionally it hurts the long passing game. Wind too?

Status
Not open for further replies.