Pregame: Illinois at Purdue, Tuesday, January 21st, 6:00pm CT, ESPNU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody should hand out pamphlets to the referees before the game regarding the "Freedom of Movement" changes that were made to the college game in the last few years.

Ithe guys play with 100% effort this entire game I got a real good feeling about this one. If kofi stays out of foul trouble we will be golden. Why not have 7 made 3s from griffin as well.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Ithe guys play with 100% effort this entire game I got a real good feeling about this one. If kofi stays out of foul trouble we will be golden. Why not have 7 made 3s from griffin as well.
If AG makes 7 3's, then I love our chances.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I'm already thinking about The Beef House on their bus ride back......

source.gif

While you're at it, can you get me a beach house?

Rutgers has losses to St. Bonaventure 128 and Pitt at 71. Missouri is 75 and Miami is 89. I would say Rutgers has a little worse set of losses than Illinois. Maybe they have better wins.
They don't have a win as good as Wisconsin on the road.

They don't have a win as good as Wisconsin on the road.
My opinion is that Rutgers is way overachieving, and we might be also, but everyone knew we had this potential. With that, when they beat some decent teams and have a good record, everyone reacts a little different to it. If we played the same schedule as each other and had all the same wins and losses, they would look more impressive, because it is more unexpected.

It is like when we played them and the announcers wouldn't stop talking about their defense and how they are playing for 2nd place! Our D is better and more impressive and we were also playing for 2nd place!

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I see it.

They're desperate and are going to turn it into a wrestling match. It'll be borderline unwatchable win or lose. Purdue's whole strategy at home is to just maul on the perimeter - can't call them all. I hate Purdue.

signed,
Purdue alum

I think you mean a "rock fight".

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Gotta love your enthusiasm ....So....how much money are you putting down on an Illini win tonight????......

Gotta hate your negativity....So...how much money are you putting down on a PU win tonight?????....

source.gif

They need to play the rest of their schedule as a one and done, thats how important these games are

My biggest concern tonight is shooting. We are playing better D and taking better care of the ball. Those attributes allow us to beat decent teams when we are not shooting well. I think we are going to have shoot FG better than 45% to win, and I'm not sure we can do that at Mackey. I
1.) Shoot better than 45%. Georgi can be factor here. I'm torn with our 3 pt shooting. Part of me says we shoot the 3 too much given our percentage, but I know you have to take that if it is given to you.
2.) Don't let Stefanovic get on track. Hopefully we can keep fresh defenders on him and make him uncomfortable. DaMonte seems like he could do this well.
3.) Keep Georgi and Kofi out of foul trouble. I don't think Williams and Haarms go crazy if our bigs stay in the game. Tough at Mackey.
4.) Think we need somebody coming up big off the bench. Griffin, Feliz, Kipper. We need to win bench scoring.
5.) Underwood has to out coach Painter. I'm hoping Brad has something up his sleeve in this game from the week off.

Purdue strikes me as very streaky. Makes them dangerous at home. This game is winnable. We are the better team. This team seems to be showing more character recently, and they will certainly need that at Mackey.

Gotta hate your negativity....So...how much money are you putting down on a PU win tonight?????....

source.gif

Not being negative....just being realistic....hope we go into Mackey and blow the doors off.....but given the nature of the B10 visiting teams winning on the road this year.....the odds are not very good that we win....given how Purdue plays at home (ex: MSU thrashing) again our odds are not very good for a win.....so what would you say our odds are to win tonight????......so if you and WBill want to call someone out for being realistic....have at it.....

BTW, wasn't PU a double digit favorite when the came to Champaign?

Not sure.....but if they were that goes to show just how hard it is to win on the road in the B10.....Again I hope we go there tonight, play well and get a win....I will be thrilled....but won't be shocked if we don't

Rutgers has losses to St. Bonaventure 128 and Pitt at 71. Missouri is 75 and Miami is 89. I would say Rutgers has a little worse set of losses than Illinois. Maybe they have better wins.
Those numbers don't show that the Miami loss was at home. It was the worst loss of the 4, no doubt. Your numbers also don't show that we have more losses than they do.

I hate 6:00 starts. I get home around 10 after 6, and dread that when I turn it on the score will be 12 to 2. Bad guys.

Not sure.....but if they were that goes to show just how hard it is to win on the road in the B10.....Again I hope we go there tonight, play well and get a win....I will be thrilled....but won't be shocked if we don't

This is what we're up against. IMO, if we're able to pull this off, it's a more impressive win than WI considering they've already played us once and know what to expect and plan for.

Some of 247/Werner's pre-game tidbits:

• The Illini have lost seven straight trips to Mackey Arena. Their last win in West Lafayette came in 2008, when Illinois pulled off a 71-67 overtime win in the Big Ten opener. That is Illinois' longest active road drought against a Big Ten foe.
  • Illinois is 88-102 all-time against Purdue with a 63-37 win in the most recent meeting on Jan. 5 in Champaign.
  • Purdue has won 15 straight Big Ten home games at Mackey Arena, which is the second-longest streak in the building's history. Only three of those 15 wins were by single digits.
  • The Boilers have beaten the last six ranked teams who have come to West Lafayette by an average of 16.8 points per game.
  • Purdue is on pace to sell out every game at Mackey Arena for the first time since the 1998-99 season.
Let's goooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.