Pregame: Illinois at Purdue, Tuesday, January 21st, 6:00pm CT, ESPNU

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif
Pretty hard to justify Illinois out of state tuition. Couldn’t even get her to apply (she’s a bit of a contrarian). I actually think she might end up as a spartan. I’m not sure which is worse.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Time will tell my friend....but we have more than three losses left in the BI0.....with 7 road games to go ..5-6 more losses are likely
Miami at Home
Missouri in St. Louis

will gladly eat crow if you are correct....but odds are not likely to happen

Oh? How's the DeLorean doing these days?

What about the weather? Can we expect an early spring?

I think we have enough water in our boiler.

We should have a good fire going to generate a whole bunch of steam.

IL > PU

Totally, like coach said, "there are no upsets in the B10," so if you're buyin' the notion that anyone can beat anyone, then losing in a hostile environment to a good team is nothing to freak out about.

Even in a blowout L, as long as it doesn't appear that we were nonchalant at the start or we quit after getting down, then fans should stay chill. The overly emotional posting after losses isn't real interesting at this point.
I really don't believe our llini fanbase will ever be Chill....we are manic-depressive.... in that the sky is falling or we are on the verge of Final 4. We sometimes are "chill" during offseason:)

Oh? How's the DeLorean doing these days?

What about the weather? Can we expect an early spring?

Well if you're predicting no more than 3 losses for the rest of the season....you tell me when spring will come or what the weather is going to be then.....oh...and the DeLorean is back ordered

I felt sure Wisconsin was a loss and feel the same about this one. Lets hope I'm on a roll. :chief:
To win the thing that we need to do is play great D, hit the boards to eliminate second chance points, limit turnovers and just dont let them get a large home court spurt in a matter of a few minutes. That's what Purdue does at home. They always seem to have spurt of 3s or large runs that help them win. If we can do these things we can win.

Last edited:
Kenpom is usually a good predictor at this stage of the season, and has us about 5.5 point underdogs. Given the recent play, though, I'd expect the line to be quite a bit closer, 2 to 3 pts.

Should be a good test. Any conference road win is going to be a good win.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
KenPom and NET didn't like our NW win very much. Looks like we're hovering at 35 and 40, respectively.

Kenpom is usually a good predictor at this stage of the season, and has us about 5.5 point underdogs. Given the recent play, though, I'd expect the line to be quite a bit closer, 2 to 3 pts.

Should be a good test. Any conference road win is going to be a good win.

KenPom has us going 1-7 over the next 8 games, BTW, I hope you are not disappointed but Vegas won't have the Purdue game as 2 to 3 points. Bart Torvik has us going 2-6 over next 8 games. I sure hope both guys are way off.

the rest of the season seems pretty simple to me as far as if we win or not - if we just have a decent shooting %. Any game we go something like 50% from 2 and 25% from 3 or 40% from 2 and 35-40% from 3 (or better obviously) I think we will win or at worst it will be very close. But...we will certainly lay another egg or two offensively.

We are a solid team all around, when we shoot decent we’re gonna win. I think they’re getting more consistent, but most importantly, consistent in the last 3 minutes of the game.

Purdue has looked better for sure since we stomped them, but we have also continued to close games.

Illini 68 Purdue 63

I hope we don’t shoot like we did at MSU playing PU. It is a tough place to play. Go Illini.

It would be really fun to keep this "breakout year" going with another busted streak, huh? By my count we have lost 7 straight in West Lafayette, with our last win coming on 12/30/2008 in an overtime victory at #9 Purdue to open conference play in the 2009 season! It would be oh so sweet to snap that streak in our next road game after we stopped the Wisconsin skid.

P.S. While I was looking this up, I came across the five opponents Illinois basketball has played the most since the 1949-50 season, and it was kind of interesting:

130 vs. Wisconsin (75-55, .577)
129 vs. Indiana (58-71, .450)
127 vs. Ohio State (68-59, .535)
126 vs. Michigan (63-63, .500) ... hopefully 64-63 soon! :)
126 vs. Northwestern (99-27, .785)

sbillini

st petersburg, fl

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

Oooooh! Touche! And one of my favorite .gifs!

My comment was more directed at the negativity of saying something like "oh we're gonna lose more games" the rest of the year. Well duh.

Nice effort!

Beat Purdue, UM and Minnesota--all 3 a possibility--and we will be in the Top 10.

I knew Purdue shot it better at home, but didn't realize it was such a huge difference. According to Trank their 3 pt pct is 24% on the road vs 39% at home. That's crazy.

This eight games stretch coming up will definitely let us know if the Illini should be ranked or not. Very tough stretch with ho.e games being difficult and away games even more so. Purdue's will be a tougher test than they were last time. I hope the guys recognize that after Northwestern. I say they win 4 or 5. Wins over Purdue, Iowa, Penn State, and either Minnesota or Rutgers. Then maybe they steal one from one of the ranked teams. That would fit their recent performance.

I knew Purdue shot it better at home, but didn't realize it was such a huge difference. According to Trank their 3 pt pct is 24% on the road vs 39% at home. That's crazy.
Well i am sure they shoot it better at home but most of those should be non conference is not the same as the B10 home games most likely but i didnt look. I hope we can hold them to 30% or less. Lets just D up, rebound, no TOs, and attack the rim and we can win again. I think we can cause them a lot of problems. too.

Last year we were up at Purdue at the end of the 1st half, 34-33
Without Kofi! I assure you Williams wishes we didnt have him this year! This team is getting netter this year each game and beyond.!Go Illini make the boiler fans leave disappointed because Kofi owned and our team repeated the last victory.

Last edited:
I live in West Lafayette. Daughter is a senior in HS and thinking about Purdue. Bought tickets for this one right after the Michigan win. I NEED this win so badly. Will be there with husband and son with my Illini gear on and shouting I-L-L from the rafters.
Atta girl, we'll be rooting hard for you! I L L!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.