Pregame: Illinois at Rutgers, Saturday, February 15th, 3:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJB

Chicago, IL
Here’s my bold call- Damonte turns into an excellent three point shooter in his senior year, hitting 2+ per game at around a 40% clip.

I am hoping for Chester Frazier-type senior season out of Damonte.

Count me as more optimistic than most who have posted so far. I think it's going to be tight, and would not be too surprised if the boys pull it out.

Lets not forget that Rutgers has to game plan differently now as well....and the game comes down to Giorgi imo, which guy shows up. I think Feliz/Frazier/Griffin and maybe even Jones a little can make up for Ayo lost points...what does everyone else bring?

AEX

Danger Zone
Lets not forget that Rutgers has to game plan differently now as well....and the game comes down to Giorgi imo, which guy shows up. I think Feliz/Frazier/Griffin and maybe even Jones a little can make up for Ayo lost points...what does everyone else bring?

My biggest question is whether Trent can stay out of foul trouble. Seems like there have been a number of games lately where he's hit a couple threes early, but then got himself two fouls and sat the last 10 minutes of the first half. We can't afford to have him on the bench for any significant stretch. We need him on the floor and hitting shots.

Jermaine played 30 sec and made a very nice defensive play. Give him a few more min. Without Ayo who guards Geo? Will it be DMW? Go Illini.

Gio was out the first matchup, ayo out this one probably. Must mean there will be a third tussle in BIG tourney at full health (hopefully)

The keys for me are to continue to play tough defense, get Giorgi going/figure out Giorgi's role, and someone needs to step up on offense to help alleviate Ayo's absence.

It's gonna be a tough game. If Feliz starts, we lose that scoring punch off the bench. So Tevian, it's now or never bro (y)

ginabackes00

CrazedUIFan
I’m calling a career game for Williams. I think his Confidence is growing with his shot. it would be nice to see it continue. Giorgi has to let the game come to him again. We need production From him. Having Jones in at the 4 with Kofi instead of Giorgi does open the floor more when he’s out at the 3 pt line.

Is he paraphrasing or did Underwood actually say that?
1581780075147.gif

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Even a disguised 50-80% Ayo will pull defenders and allow more freedom on offense, but I can't see how he will be ready to guard.

These kids are road tested and mother approved. Lots of grit in that locker room. No Ayo will just laser tune their focus more. I expect the D to dictate this game again.

I think we’re still playing with house money going into this 2-game stretch. Worst case scenario we drop both and are still above .500 in league play with a very realistic shot at winning 4 of our last 5, finishing 12-8, and snagging ~8 seed (would’ve taken that in a heartbeat at the start of the season). Also, I’ve felt more comfortable watching this team on the road, and I think the Illini embrace the tough, underdog mentality better in a hostile environment. Let’s find a way to pull one out in NJ today!

It's hard for me to make a case right now that they can beat Rutgers or PSU on the road and that takes you to 8-7 in the league. The biggest negative on the season has been Giorgi's disappearance, and its clear Kofi has hit some type of freshman wall that he's going to have to fight through. If those two play like this the rest of the way it's going to be really difficult to win games.
Agreed. IMHO, we go where our bigs take us. Feed the beasts.

Wonder how he's handling this mentally. Does he want to play? Is he worried about his knee holding up? In a lot of cases, the mental aspect is as important as the physical. If a guy doesn't feel he's 100% he might be playing differently or compensating subtly in his movement.

In any case, hope he's able to do his thing. Can't afford to have him aggravate an injury.

Ayo's 16 points are a lot of points to be made up. The key will be 3 pointers.....5 or less for the game would not be good.

I think (hope?) this is going to be a tossup approaching the under 8 timeout in the second half ... sure would be nice for Da'Monte to pull a surprise Jack Ingram™ on the Scarlet Knights to put us over the top. :)

Good clip on WSJ this weekend on Rutgers basketball....didnt realize locally they call the Rack ..." the trapezoid of terror". With only 8000 Seats it is no doubt loudest in B10. This will be a great test for our mental toughness. If we win this...I'll consider it more significant than a home game win over MSU.

The keys for me are to continue to play tough defense, get Giorgi going/figure out Giorgi's role, and someone needs to step up on offense to help alleviate Ayo's absence.

It's gonna be a tough game. If Feliz starts, we lose that scoring punch off the bench. So Tevian, it's now or never bro (y)
I don’t know about now or never. It will help if he’s given real minutes and not just a produce or else and then get pulled after 2 minutes of playing time.

Deleted member 746654

D
Good clip on WSJ this weekend on Rutgers basketball....didnt realize locally they call the Rack ..." the trapezoid of terror". With only 8000 Seats it is no doubt loudest in B10. This will be a great test for our mental toughness. If we win this...I'll consider it more significant than a home game win over MSU.

Will be at the game today and see for myself.

Will be at the game today and see for myself.
Awesome....Be safe and be loud for illini Nation!
In the WSJ radio clip they mentioned that rutgers fans stood for most of game with Michigan at Madison Square gardens.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
I think (hope?) this is going to be a tossup approaching the under 8 timeout in the second half ... sure would be nice for Da'Monte to pull a surprise Jack Ingram™ on the Scarlet Knights to put us over the top. :)
Without Ayo playing today, there's a better chance that we're down 15 at the 8-minute mark in the game ---- as opposed to tied.

Status
Not open for further replies.