Pregame: Illinois at Rutgers, Saturday, October 6th, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a stretch to say this Saturday's game is the most important in the Lovie era? The implications of a loss are far greater than the implications of any other loss over the past two season IMO.

Media wise you are right. But, there are so many winnable games on the schedule. Losing this game doesn’t mean they’ll go winless in the B1G again. Every game is unique.

At the end of the year it will be the whole season that’s evaluated, not individual games. I don’t think finishing the B1G with 1 win instead of 0 is going to make us feel that much more optimistic.

I just really hope we win because we all know the media is chomping at the bit to call the Lovie era a failure. I’d rather not have to listen to that BS.

breadman

Herndon, VA
We, as fans, all know, by looking at the schedule and how are opponents are doing, that we have a chance at some victories this season. My curiosity is how the coaching staff is getting all of our young players to believe that they have some wins in them for this season. Lovie's presser was pretty revealing in that he is beginning to expect big things from his young team. Hope he is right.

Media wise you are right. But, there are so many winnable games on the schedule. Losing this game doesn’t mean they’ll go winless in the B1G again. Every game is unique.

At the end of the year it will be the whole season that’s evaluated, not individual games. I don’t think finishing the B1G with 1 win instead of 0 is going to make us feel that much more optimistic.

I just really hope we win because we all know the media is chomping at the bit to call the Lovie era a failure. I’d rather not have to listen to that BS.

Agreed. If we can win Saturday and against Purdue I'm very curious to see how our guys play with that level of confidence and (hopeful) fan support.

Deleted member 654622

D
Agreed. If we can win Saturday and against Purdue I'm very curious to see how our guys play with that level of confidence and (hopeful) fan support.
Completely agree. Especially since I just made a wager with a jackass co-worker that Illinois would win 3 more games this year

Any updates on when Milan will be back? Haven't seen any updates on that in sometime. Think he would instantly turn run d from atrocious to at least below avg given his skill and effect on players around him.

This a must win for confidence going into the Purdue game. We have shown the last month that we are better but Saturday we must show we not a total laughing stock anymore. It’s 4 winnable games on this schedule let’s start with Rutgers.

Run. Run. Run. Are they defending the run? Run again. Time to pass? Nope - run. Epstein and Super Corbin should run for 125 yards each. When we're up by 14 we can throw a pass. Wait, don't pass yet. Run. I DEFINTELY DON'T WANT TO SEE A FIRST AND TEN BOMB THAT WE DROP. First and 10... run. You get the idea.

Deleted member 29907

D
If we can put up 3 less points on Penn State that Ohio State could put up, we should be able to put up 48 points on Rutgers.
ILL 48 Rutgers 17
And that was with our Frosh QB...

Only thing that makes this close is our Bye Week and AJ rust.

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
Hate to say this, but I think the Illini defense will be the key to the outcome of this game (and all remaining games at that....we have to get better on 'D').

When you look at team scoring stats, the Illini score 10.6 ppg more (27.0 vs. 16.4) and are giving up 7.3 ppg (31.5 vs. 38.8) less than Rutgers. Net advantage +17.9 points Illinois.

But when you look at total yardage stats matching our offense against their defense, and vice versa, you get: Illini offense 409 ypg vs. Rutgers defense 438 ypg = 424 yards expected Illini offense. Rutgers offense 281 ypg vs. Illini defense 508 ypg = 395 yards expected Rutgers offense. A difference of 29 yards favoring the Illini, which wouldn't cover the usual +3 points for home field advantage.

I know there are many factors (strength of opponents, injuries, home vs. away games, etc.) that influence these stats, but if we lay another defensive egg it could be trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.