Pregame: Illinois at UConn, Saturday, September 7th, 2:30pm CT, CBSSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info about how to watch Saturday's game. I currently have Direct/AT&T but looking to change, either Hulu Live or YouTube TV. Would love your suggestions on what service you like best (pros/cons).

We have PS Vue and really like it. Saved me 100+ a month to switch from Directv to Vue.

In other news, Illini roll 49-10. UConn is comically bad, worse than Akron.

We have PS Vue and really like it. Saved me 100+ a month to switch from Directv to Vue.

In other news, Illini roll 49-10. UConn is comically bad, worse than Akron.
If UConn is “worse than Akron,” why do you think they will score more points?

Not sure if this has been discussed. Does anybody else wonder why Jake Hansen hasn't been mentioned by the Big Ten media for his defense. I thought his stats were right up there and should have been considered for defensive player of the week. Tired of Illinois players getting ignored just because they play for Illinois. It almost seems like Jay Leeman purpously doesn't mention Illini players for fear of being called a homer.

Just discovered a work around on my iPad. Went to CBS Sports, clicked on the sports net and got an option to chose my provider. Once selected and logged in, I’m able to stream it live. Now whether that will work come Saturday, who knows. But it’s running now, so fingers crossed.

jmilt7

Waukegan
We switched to Hulu last year and really like it. On gamedays, you get all of the overflow stations, so you can see games all around the country. It has every channel that Illinois would ever conceivably be on, in BB or FB. I know Youtube is great for sports fans too, but I like the streaming library for Hulu and that puts it over the top for me.

Could you elaborate on the bolded, please? I have been leaning toward YTTV but would like to know why this is important or what it's all about. Thanks

Deleted member 29907

D
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, and the Zips are #8 - shout out to whomever scheduled this early season schedule! The strength of schedule probably keeps us out of the playoffs though - but I'm getting ahead of myself...

Hopefully (and I can't imagine we will) we will not take them lightly.

I wish someone could take credit, but no one knew how these teams would be when the games were scheduled

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Could you elaborate on the bolded, please? I have been leaning toward YTTV but would like to know why this is important or what it's all about. Thanks

I'm not the one you posed the question to, but Hulu has a great OnDemand library (current and older series + originals). However, their guide for Live TV is terrible. So - I have YTTV for all of my live TV needs + Hulu for OnDemand (kinda the best of both worlds).

Yeah, and the Zips are #8 - shout out to whomever scheduled this early season schedule! The strength of schedule probably keeps us out of the playoffs though - but I'm getting ahead of myself...

Hopefully (and I can't imagine we will) we will not take them lightly.
Well, Miz-who was included with half the SEC in tied for fifth from the bottom. So that's nice. But it stung to see Ill-uh-noise included in a Pillowfight of the Week against Akron. Hey, we took that pillow and put it where...well, it ain't sunny there. No matter what we do this week won't help with that list.

(Barely) off topic, but does anyone have a place to find U of I alumni by state? I would be curious to know how many alumni we have in New England or the NYC CSA to get an idea of how much orange we might see in the stands. Obviously, as yours truly so beautifully demonstrates, there are tons of Illini fans who aren't alums, but it is a nice measuring stick. It would be nice to get a decent showing of East Coast Illini who can't often make a game.

I'm not the one you posed the question to, but Hulu has a great OnDemand library (current and older series + originals). However, their guide for Live TV is terrible. So - I have YTTV for all of my live TV needs + Hulu for OnDemand (kinda the best of both worlds).

I agree with most of what was said here. The guide isn't great, but it's in alphabetical order, it has a section to check for recent channels you watched, and if you have a fire stick you can use Alexa to search for channels as well. We are happy with it, and it is cheaper than Youtube TV ($45 vs. $50).

Deleted member 29907

D
I agree with most of what was said here. The guide isn't great, but it's in alphabetical order, it has a section to check for recent channels you watched, and if you have a fire stick you can use Alexa to search for channels as well. We are happy with it, and it is cheaper than Youtube TV ($45 vs. $50).
Be careful, last I checked Hulu only allowed 2 streams (unless they changed that) at a time whereas YTTV allowed 3 . So it's not apples to apples in cost re: how many 'TVs' can be watching at any time (TVs being streaming devices). If all you need is 2 - no problem - but with a family of 5 we could not get by on 2.

Be careful, last I checked Hulu only allowed 2 streams (unless they changed that) at a time whereas YTTV allowed 3 . So it's not apples to apples in cost re: how many 'TVs' can be watching at any time (TVs being streaming devices). If all you need is 2 - no problem - but with a family of 5 we could not get by on 2.

I've been using Hulu Live for almost 2 years now. I'm evaluating YTTV right now on the free week trial. Here are my pro's and cons. Remember, YMMV for some items...

Note that both offer the full suite of BTN, ESPN ecosystem, FS ecosystem, etc.

Hulu Live Pro's vs YTTV
  • I personally like Hulu's guide, but I read that a lot of people prefer YTTV's. Really shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone.
    • Note that they JUST updated their in-show guide to be much like YTTV's.
  • Hulu is cheaper by $5 for just the basics.

Hulu Con's vs YTTV
  • YTTV has more live channels. Check listing/comparisons for what is important to you.
    • Of particular note (to me): YTTV has AMC and Hulu doesn't. Important for Walking Dead, FtWalking Dead, Better Call Saul, etc.
  • YTTV has a larger cloud-based DVR (even if you pay to upgrade Hulu's DVR you get less space and then costs are the same - $50)
  • Hulu only allows 2 concurrent streams (read: users). You can increase that at a cost. YTTV allows 3 at no extra cost.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Also of note, Hulu recently updated their TV app and booted a bunch of older TVs off. My smart LG TV is from like 2014 and it is no longer compatible with Hulu and won't open anymore. I would check beforehand before you put all your eggs in that basket. Or use a laptop and HDMI cord if you have to.

Deleted member 29907

D
Also of note, Hulu recently updated their TV app and booted a bunch of older TVs off. My smart LG TV is from like 2014 and it is no longer compatible with Hulu and won't open anymore. I would check beforehand before you put all your eggs in that basket. Or use a laptop and HDMI cord if you have to.
We went to all Roku sticks when we cut the cord - works very nice and you can take it with you if you travel.

I've been using Hulu Live for almost 2 years now. I'm evaluating YTTV right now on the free week trial. Here are my pro's and cons. Remember, YMMV for some items...

Note that both offer the full suite of BTN, ESPN ecosystem, FS ecosystem, etc.

Hulu Live Pro's vs YTTV
  • I personally like Hulu's guide, but I read that a lot of people prefer YTTV's. Really shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone.
    • Note that they JUST updated their in-show guide to be much like YTTV's.
  • Hulu is cheaper by $5 for just the basics.

Hulu Con's vs YTTV
  • YTTV has more live channels. Check listing/comparisons for what is important to you.
    • Of particular note (to me): YTTV has AMC and Hulu doesn't. Important for Walking Dead, FtWalking Dead, Better Call Saul, etc.
  • YTTV has a larger cloud-based DVR (even if you pay to upgrade Hulu's DVR you get less space and then costs are the same - $50)
  • Hulu only allows 2 concurrent streams (read: users). You can increase that at a cost. YTTV allows 3 at no extra cost.

I use Hulu Live. I have never tried YTTV. However, one of the biggest pros for Hulu in my opinion is that for the base price, you also get their entire on demand library. So I get live tv and a "base" Hulu subscription for the price of one

(Barely) off topic, but does anyone have a place to find U of I alumni by state? I would be curious to know how many alumni we have in New England or the NYC CSA to get an idea of how much orange we might see in the stands. Obviously, as yours truly so beautifully demonstrates, there are tons of Illini fans who aren't alums, but it is a nice measuring stick. It would be nice to get a decent showing of East Coast Illini who can't often make a game.

[Dan, feel free to merge!]

EDIT: It looks like there are 1,923 UIUC alumni in Connecticut, with the total system (i.e., plus UIC and UIS) having 2,461. Adding MA, RI and NY gets us to 15,939. If you guys ALL go, we will have approximately 42% of the crowd. :ROFLMAO: Cool tool, by the way:

https://www.uillinois.edu/data/alumni_by_state

Status
Not open for further replies.