Pregame: Illinois at UNLV, Saturday, December 9th, 11:00pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Illinois at UNLV (MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, NV)
Saturday, December 9th
11:00pm CT
ESPN2

:illinois:

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
This is a potential resume-building win. After dropping those close games against WF, NU, and MD, we could really use this one.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Are you thinking like around 5 or so?

KenPom has us as 3 point dogs. I expect the spread to be a little higher after yesterdays performance.

I have a real bad feeling about this one.

Gonna be tough. UNLV pounded a very good Utah team a couple weeks ago. They're two loses are to Arizona and at Northern Iowa (both in OT). I expect a close one, but another close loss.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
We just had a dog of a game, I'm expecting we break out in this one. We are on the cusp of breaking through.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Check out what McCoy did against Zona. We need to be going at the rim and trying to draw fouls like our lives depend on it.

Those were his numbers despite being double-teamed.

Arizona, a basketball team that despite its three early losses still has legitimate national championship aspirations, paid UNLV forward Brandon McCoy the ultimate compliment Saturday.

The Wildcats didn’t deem it enough to simply assign 7-foot-1-inch freshman Deandre Ayton to handle McCoy. They often sent guards to help defend and at times even threw 7-footer Dusan Rustic into the mix against UNLV’s 7-footer.

“I was used to being double-teamed in high school, but I wasn’t expecting Arizona to double-team me,” McCoy said. “I thought it was going to be mano-a-mano, but it’s all right.”

The double-teams helped force McCoy into six turnovers, but he also helped put the Rebels in position to win. He made 13 of 17 shots, scored 33 points and collected 10 rebounds in the 91-88 overtime loss.

Link

UNLV's starting PG is Jovan Mooring from Hillcrest (Country Club Hills) HS and his backup is Amauri Hardy, who was BU's star commitment at OSU. UNLV has had 4 McD's since 2012.

I'm hopeful for a victory, but this one could get ugly. Was glad to see Ebo get some minutes last night because I think we're going to need him against McCoy and Shakur Juiston. McCoy hasn't fouled out of a game yet this year (though 4 fouls in each of last 3 games), but Juiston has fouled out of two of the last three games. Interesting that UNLV has two strong contributors from IL -- Jovan Mooring (Hillcrest) and Jordan Johnson (Waukegan) -- as well as Ben Coupet, Jr., from Simeon who hasn't played yet this year.

Deleted member 29907

D
Check out what McCoy did against Zona. We need to be going at the rim and trying to draw fouls like our lives depend on it.

5 players with well over 30 mins in that game - same for Zona. Next closest around 17mins. We'll have to pressure and hopefully wear them down. Zona probably got tired too along the way.

They also allowed 28 and 29 points by two players.

I'll be there! Would love to see a resume building win on the road. But, man that McCoy highlight reel is a wet blanket on my expectations for this one. Going to be tough, but I trust we'll have some sort of game plan for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.