Pregame: Illinois at Wake Forest, Tuesday, November 28th, 8:00pm CT, ESPNU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely Wake will play zone and extend to Jordan. If we shoot well we will compete and open holes in the zone. If our guards don't shoot well from the guard position we will have a long night. I'm afraid this will be typical until teams respect our shooting.

If you are correct and they just extend to AJ, Finke should have a big game from 3. We have a center who can fill it up from the guard position, as you put it.

Dan

Admin
How Can I watch this game if I don’t have ESPNU?
Probably have to find a place with espnu..don't believe it's available to watch on watchespn/espn app if you don't get espnu.

Deleted member 631370

D
So, ummm, Wake Forest just signed Danny Manning to a contract extension?

Ouch.

Based on what? I was at the Marshall game and thought he played poorly. All of his advanced stats suggest the Marshall game wasn’t an anomaly, and that he’s struggling.
Against Marshall he had 2 points in 22 minutes. He had an offensive rating of 85...not good.

He also had 5 assists and 1 turnover...very good.

Depends on what you think he needs to be achieving out there. Of course this doesn't account for defence or the eye test. I think the last three games he has been leaps and bounds better. An average to above average B10 point guard.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Was looking at Wake's roster and stats, and noticed they have a center listed at 7-1, 280 (10.3 ppg, 7.8 rpg). Guess we'll see how we do against a big man.

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
Wake by 8. Sure, they're not very good this year, but this is our first true road game and a lot of newcomers/players taking on bigger roles.

So my bigger prediction is a meltdown on this board after a loss....

Honest question: is the Wake game going to be a tougher *environment* than EIU?

Obviously Wake is better than EIU, but I think that loss at EIU is going to be helpful for the team going into this game.

They aren't facing a hostile crowd for the first time, and I'm sure they still feel the sting from all the running they had to do after losing that game:)

Got a bad feeling about this game hope I am wrong

Win or lose, I believe that this team is only going to get better as the season goes on. It's nice to finally be excited about Illini basketball again.

Win or lose, I believe that this team is only going to get better as the season goes on. It's nice to finally be excited about Illini basketball again.

That's the truth ^^
Its been hard to get excited for some time and while I'm still a little gun shy, I'm optimistic again. :illinois:

Was looking at Wake's roster and stats, and noticed they have a center listed at 7-1, 280 (10.3 ppg, 7.8 rpg). Guess we'll see how we do against a big man.

Doral Moore has made those numbers in 19 min a game, and has shot 84% from the field. Going to be tough to defend. We need to get him in foul trouble, something he has been prone to in the past. Make him come outside to cover Finke and Leron.

I think we win. Why? Because Mark Smith had a really crappy game on Friday, and he strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't have back to back crappy games.

Mark Smith: 18 points
Finke, Black, and AJ with 12+ each
Illini win 82-74

Doral Moore has made those numbers in 19 min a game, and has shot 84% from the field. Going to be tough to defend. We need to get him in foul trouble, something he has been prone to in the past. Make him come outside to cover Finke and Leron.

Didn't Groce go after him pretty hard?

I think we win. Why? Because Mark Smith had a really crappy game on Friday, and he strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't have back to back crappy games.

Mark Smith: 18 points
Finke, Black, and AJ with 12+ each
Illini win 82-74

Appeared to me they were trying to post up Mark and it was not working. Would like to see him make some threes. Worried about his confidence (as well as Williams, Frasier, and Alstork) from three.

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL
Honest question: is the Wake game going to be a tougher *environment* than EIU?

Obviously Wake is better than EIU, but I think that loss at EIU is going to be helpful for the team going into this game.

They aren't facing a hostile crowd for the first time, and I'm sure they still feel the sting from all the running they had to do after losing that game:)

I believe it will be more hostile; not as many Illini fans making the trip/live near there. But, at the same time, with WF's recent woes, the arena may not be very filled.

That being said, I do believe the EIU game helped us out by letting the underclassmen see what it is like to not play at home. Generally, road games are tougher, but I don't believe some on this board are giving the upperclassmen enough credit. Finke, Black, Nichols, Jordan and Allstork have experience playing in hostile environments. That is at least half of our regular rotation.

I am not going to say we will definitely win, but I think we have a very good shot. Also, with the next road game being basically a neutral court game, we have a reasonable chance to go 2-0 in our first two road games.

If you are correct and they just extend to AJ, Finke should have a big game from 3. We have a center who can fill it up from the guard position, as you put it.

I think Finke will have a big game. My guess is the corners less well guarded. I'd love to see him dominate the game.

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
Top ten in FT attempts?! I'm not great at finding stats. Where did last years team finish in freethrow attempts?

IMO, it seems like we've had a huge increase in layups and good attempts around the rim this year. The last several years you had a few guys who could get to the line if they wanted to (Rice, Hill, Bertrand) but most of the offense was passing around the perimeter before jacking up a bad 3. I love what Underwood is doing with the offense.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
(under Groce)...most of the offense was passing around the perimeter before jacking up a bad 3. I love what Underwood is doing with the offense.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.