Pregame: Illinois at Wisconsin, Monday, February 18th, 7:00pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is kind of amusing watching other team gets thrown out of their normal rhythm, sometimes self-destruct, and have that WFT look on their face. :)
My thoughts exactly.

The thing is, independent observers are showing more faith in Illinois than many Illini/fans. I was concerned that tOSU would look at the tapes from the Rutgers game and figure out how to put 90 points on the board. But either (a) they didn't figure it out, (b) they did but didn't execute, or (c) we were able to stymie their adjustment. Or all three.

We should have won by more than ten points had our freethrows not been so far off. I'm tempted to say, it happens. Even Eyo and Trent don't shoot 100 percent. We make those missed layups, we're reasonably hot on freethrows, and we take Wiscy our of their game, we win this.

And btw, the slow, methodical game is our fresh meat. You break the method, you break up their game and you force them to play our game. And we can play our game. And that's why "no one wants to play this team."

Put Dre on Edwards and let Pitbull do his thing...
I have this vision of Dre getting in Edwards' face to the point where they get called for a double technical. Then it really escalates and they both get ejected.

This would do wonders at keeping our winning streak intact. We'd miss Dre, but PU would really miss Edwards.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
My thoughts exactly.

The thing is, independent observers are showing more faith in Illinois than many Illini/fans. I was concerned that tOSU would look at the tapes from the Rutgers game and figure out how to put 90 points on the board. But either (a) they didn't figure it out, (b) they did but didn't execute, or (c) we were able to stymie their adjustment. Or all three.

Ohio State couldn't replicate Rutgers' strategy of making a ridiculous number of jump shots/have a bench player averaging 4 PPG go off for 20+

Deleted member 29907

D
It is kind of amusing watching other team gets thrown out of their normal rhythm, sometimes self-destruct, and have that WFT look on their face. :)
Having watched ALOT of AAU over the years - you can see why. So many of these kids don't face real adversity and of course AAU does not excel at playing defense - so they really don't often see a really tough D during their years. You could always tell the teams that would quit early if you just got them off their game.

If you think of our team makeup -
- Guard from Chicago tough streets, lost a friend,
- Big from Georgia tough life and living conditions,
- 2 sons of NBA players (Dads who don't likely baby their kids),
- AJ (he's just got it - likely Dad (and Mom) again).
- Trent - other than a brief week or so - supreme confidence
- Coach who doesn't accept moping and anything but a very high level of effort

This team is so much more intense and tougher than last year .... and i agree 100% - its fun to watch the frustration.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Having watched ALOT of AAU over the years - you can see why. So many of these kids don't face real adversity and of course AAU does not excel at playing defense - so they really don't often see a really tough D during their years. You could always tell the teams that would quit early if you just got them off their game.

If you think of our team makeup -
- Guard from Chicago tough streets, lost a friend,
- Big from Georgia tough life and living conditions,
- 2 sons of NBA players (Dads who don't likely baby their kids),
- AJ (he's just got it - likely Dad (and Mom) again).
- Trent - other than a brief week or so - supreme confidence
- Coach who doesn't accept moping and anything but a very high level of effort

This team is so much more intense and tougher than last year .... and i agree 100% - its fun to watch the frustration.

Gotta add Dre to the list. He’s tough as nails. VG post.

Deleted member 29907

D
Gotta add Dre to the list. He’s tough as nails. VG post.
Ah, yes - just as important - big miss on my part. Good catch. I didn't know Dre's backstory - probably something to do with being teased for playing bball vs baseball. ;)

Of course, none of this would be possible if Trent didn't go back to the old Trent hair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say that I very much enjoy the thought that other teams know what we are going to do, but they can't simulate it.
If you can't practice against it, we're hard to play. And given how long it has taken for us to learn to play our style, I'm not surprised that other teams cannot simulate playing us. Their practice squad simply can't cause the issues that our starters can cause.

I must say that I very much enjoy the thought that other teams know what we are going to do, but they can't simulate it.
If you can't practice against it, we're hard to play. And given how long it has taken for us to learn to play our style, I'm not surprised that other teams cannot simulate playing us. Their practice squad simply can't cause the issues that our starters can cause.[
Not only our starters but 9 or 10 deep. Part of our success is keeping everyone as fresh as possible playing intense defense. Also if you are not getting it done, you sit. The defense requires everyone to do their job. One weak link and it breaks down for easy layups. Also very discouraging to work your butt off and a teammate allows an easy score. Part of the team chemistry is cultivated by the team approach to defense.

If you can't practice against it, we're hard to play. And given how long it has taken for us to learn to play our style, I'm not surprised that other teams cannot simulate playing us. Their practice squad simply can't cause the issues that our starters can cause.

A funny story. IIRC, narrated by Deon (I could be wrong). BU, while working under Huggins first and then under Martin, actually tried to sell this style of play. BU, as the story goes, borrowed heavily from both, but introduced some critical tweaks. Neither Huggins nor Martin bought BU's style. BU got to first introduce his style at SFA. It may be worth the while to compare the three, this summer, after IL has danced. ;)

No idea how BU managed his rather well known temper while working from Huggins and Martin.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29907

D
Biggest question is : Who's going to break the drumstick of the Wisconsin drummer prior to the game?

The fact that Wisc. has a streak against us really means nothing to me. Most of our top 8 or 9 players have only played them once. (Ayo, Dre, Tev, GB, Adonis, Griffin) . BU and TF only have faced them twice at illinois. Once last season and then earlier this year.This is a completely different team and coach. The game this year we played them tough and could have won and that is what I expect to see again. Hopefully we can pull it out.
If we were to play Nevada and have beaten them every time we played them it would mean nothing either. Completely different players and coaches. We are both good programs let's get the W.

SKane

Tennessee
ILL wins unless GB has two fouls in the first eight minutes.

Deleted member 29907

D
Take a look at how many shots Edwards takes to get his points ;)
I'll answer my own post :

Edwards - 19 shots per game 40% (10 3PAs per game averages 36%)
Trent - 11 shots per game 42% (6 3PAs per game for 42%)

Like i said - Chucker

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I have this vision of Dre getting in Edwards' face to the point where they get called for a double technical. Then it really escalates and they both get ejected.

This would do wonders at keeping our winning streak intact. We'd miss Dre, but PU would really miss Edwards.
This without Dre getting ejected would be even better.

I'll answer my own post :

Edwards - 19 shots per game 40% (10 3PAs per game averages 36%)
Trent - 11 shots per game 42% (6 3PAs per game for 42%)

Like i said - Chucker
The few times I have watched Purdue, Edwards does chuck it without even being part of the offense. It is one thing to take shots as part of the offense but often his shots are him just going for it.

Deleted member 547530

D
I'd like to see at least once, Ayo give us a number 11 jersey pop. That would be an incredible moment.
He is saving that for the BTT Championship game when he drains the dagger trey in the waning seconds. Guys like Ayo want the biggest stages, then we get the jersey pop, rest is been there did what I excepted of myself.

Deleted member 645583

D
ON WISCONSIN!

I say "OFF WISCONSIN."

It'a high-time Illlini beat them.

Can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.