Pregame: Illinois at Wisconsin, Monday, February 18th, 7:00pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happ and the team are locked in. They don’t want to drop a 3rd game in a row. Emphasis was made to not be the team to have the streak broken. Happ will be locked in for sure.

Illinois does not want to drop a (1st) game.

IL streaks:
W - L
1 - 4
1 - 3
2 - 5 ( 1 - 2.5)
1 - 2
1 - 1
4 - 0

-----------------------------------------------
We come in peace, to win a basketball game

Last edited:
A very unlikely hypothetical that they win out, but they do I think they’re in. I think this Wisconsin game, in Madison, is the toughest game remaining. So, crazy to say it, but I agree with you.

Looking at the NET ratings. Florida at 12-11 was 42 with no victories against ranked teams and only 2 road victories. If illini win out I don’t think its far-fetched to see them end with a NET in 30s or 40s, coupled with a 12-8 conf record, and winning 14 of 15. I think they’re in easily at that point.

So, yeah, beat Wisconsin and it may even be possible with a loss at Purdue. Crazy.

In that unlikely but hopeful scenario, how would you like to be the 4 or 5 seed that drew us in round one?

illini80

Forgottonia
I’m curious as to how Brad uses De La Rosa tonight. I wouldn’t be against him using up all of his 5 fouls forcing Happ to the free throw line on certain possessions. Something to watch.
I'm not sure this is a matchup that favors DLR. Happ can finish through contact and if he gets by DLR it's too late to foul. Our best chance is if Giorgi can stay out of foul trouble. He is quick enough to stay with Happ and frustrate him.

Samba seems to be a little quicker, more mobile than Adonis. Think he gets some tick tonight to give GB a rest and to try and frustrate Happ with his length?

illiniswish09

Northwest Suburbs
Samba seems to be a little quicker, more mobile than Adonis. Think he gets some tick tonight to give GB a rest and to try and frustrate Happ with his length?
I’d be shocked if Samba saw the floor tonight. Happ would draw some quick ones on him (which isn’t the worst thing in the world).

Deleted member 11241

D
I’d be shocked if Samba saw the floor tonight. Happ would draw some quick ones on him (which isn’t the worst thing in the world).

Yeah, I would think this is a bad matchup. Given Samba inexperience, I think Happ would just eat him alive

I think he gets some tick because he has five fouls to give and Happ struggles (really struggles) at the line. Once we're in the double-bonus, I'd send him out with instructions to very aggressively go after the ball the second Happ touches it. Maybe you get a steal, maybe you get called for a foul, but either way you can live with it. It wouldn't be the worst way to stop the bleeding if Wisconsin goes on a run.

Deleted member 29907

D
My fear is Happ would eat Samba up with this pivots and fakes - thus why I think AJ and Kipper will take turns like they did last time. Happ kills opponents with the dribble backdown, fakes and pivot lunges. Samba might be able to alter the baby hook, but once Happ gets him jumping, he'll just either get a foul on him or duck under. I think the key is stopping Happ before he gets within 8 feet of the basket. Samba just seems too green.

illiniswish09

Northwest Suburbs
I think he gets some tick because he has five fouls to give and Happ struggles (really struggles) at the line. Once we're in the double-bonus, I'd send him out with instructions to very aggressively go after the ball the second Happ touches it. Maybe you get a steal, maybe you get called for a foul, but either way you can live with it. It wouldn't be the worst way to stop the bleeding if Wisconsin goes on a run.
I’m all for this strategy when/if needed with both Kane and De La Rosa.

Status
Not open for further replies.