Pregame: Illinois at Wisconsin, Saturday, October 20th, 11:00am CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the QB is always going to be the focal point of blame but we gave up 404 yards and 29 points in the first half last week. Bush is an athlete-profile QB, not a gunslinger. That MJ Rivers is less of a runner doesn't exactly make him shootout material either. He's not topped 168 yards in a game and his longest completion is 32 yards. Ultimately we have nothing but square offensive pegs and all this defense gives us is round holes. Blough was hanging around the pocket sending long texts to friends on his iPhone and practicing his golf swing before casually tossing 20 yard completions to wide-open receivers. There's no offensive counter-scheme for that.

My biggest complaint about Bush last game wasn't his throwing. That's not his strong suit and I understand that it is there to supplement the run game. My problem was how bad he was in read option. He kept the ball way to much against a D that was keyed on him after TD drive. We weren't creative at all in getting Corbin and Epstein involved after TD drive which is on Smith. AJ did not make Purdue play the read option honestly.

10 touches for those 2 is unacceptable though Epstein was too impatient on the screen play which should have gone for 6.

Buahahahaha I just read something funny and can't stop laughing.

My biggest complaint about Bush last game wasn't his throwing. That's not his strong suit and I understand that it is there to supplement the run game. My problem was how bad he was in read option. He kept the ball way to much against a D that was keyed on him after TD drive. We weren't creative at all in getting Corbin and Epstein involved after TD drive which is on Smith. AJ did not make Purdue play the read option honestly.

10 touches for those 2 is unacceptable though Epstein was too impatient on the screen play which should have gone for 6.
Agreed. He really needs to distribute the ball more. especially to those two.

I'll be watching but it's not going to pretty or enjoyable. Looking for that elusive, steady improvement from the team. Why do I already feel disappointed?

I'll be watching but it's not going to pretty or enjoyable. Looking for that elusive, steady improvement from the team. Why do I already feel disappointed?

If you've been following the Illini since Andy Kaufman played you have ample reason to be disappointed.

breadman

Herndon, VA
All is not lost. Espn is forecasting a 5% FPI chance for us to take this game!! As it floated across the bottom of the screen.
Of course, they did not display the 5%, but rather the number for the other team. I then had to apply my math degree acumen to come up with our number. Very taxing to say the least. Time for a sip of a cocktail if you ask me. Very richly deserved.

By the by, I know it's early, but I will be at the Marylander game next week.

Idk if this has been talked about, but this is effectively Lovie's second year...I'll say it again, I will not be surprised if we are mediocre again (4-8? 5-7?) next year and then make a surprise run to win the West in 2020. This team is better than they were last year IMO. The loss to Purdue is inexcusable, but I will take ugly blowouts and their lessons learned for the rest of the year if it means this team and staff is experienced enough to take out Ohio St in Champaign on Nov 21, 2020.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
ece690864910bb5ba270dd29921886ab9fec4fba_hq.gif

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
This all feels familiar: 3rd year coach, won a total of 2 Big Ten games his first two years, team shows promise in year 3 before getting crushed at Homecoming to an unranked team to fall to 3-3. Next game is on the road against a ranked opponent, and the Illini are 24.5 point underdogs.

Everything in the above paragraph also applied to the 1999 Illini team, including the spread! That next game was against #9 Michigan, and the Illini came back from 27-7 to shock Tom Brady and Co. and start a run that ended in their first bowl game in 5 years.

1999 Illinois-Michigan recap

Can history repeat itself? Probably not, but I do think the team will regroup and put up a fight. Wisconsin 38, Illinois 27.

This all feels familiar: 3rd year coach, won a total of 2 Big Ten games his first two years, team shows promise in year 3 before getting crushed at Homecoming to an unranked team to fall to 3-3. Next game is on the road against a ranked opponent, and the Illini are 24.5 point underdogs.

Everything in the above paragraph also applied to the 1999 Illini team, including the spread! That next game was against #9 Michigan, and the Illini came back from 27-7 to shock Tom Brady and Co. and start a run that ended in their first bowl game in 5 years.

Can history repeat itself? Probably not, but I do think the team will regroup and put up a fight. Wisconsin 38, Illinois 27.

That's my favorite Illini game of all time. I miss Kittner. And Lloyd. Hell, I miss Ron Turner.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
This is a tape it...see if there is anything worth watching...play or delete it game. Within a couple of scores...I'll press play.

Damn, you actually just sparked a tad bit of hope in me, haha. I totally discount Lovie's first year, and I only marginally judge him for last year; it was essentially another free pass. I have actually been rather pleased with the team's performance this year until we laid down vs. Purdue. That just can't happen, and I hope it's a huge learning experience.

Playing Wisconsin tough would do a lot for this team's confidence before we head into a string of winnable games. I will also throw out that I think I was wrong about Purdue, and they might be a top 25 team the way they're playing. If they can upset OSU Saturday and we still win two games or more down the stretch, literally no one will remember that game. There was really only one blowout loss in 2006 and we don't have the same talent level, but let's not forget this was our season a year before going to the Rose Bowl and beating #1 OSU in Columbus:

W 42-17 vs. Eastern Illinois (finished 8-5)
L 33-0 at Rutgers (finished 11-2)
L 31-21 vs. Syracuse (finished 4-8)
L 24-7 vs. #14 Iowa (finished 6-7)
W 23-20 at Michigan State (finished 4-8)
L 34-32 vs. Indiana (finished 5-7)
L 20-17 vs. Ohio (finished 9-5)
L 26-12 at Penn State (finished 9-4)
L 30-24 at #18 Wisconsin (finished 12-1)
L 17-10 vs. #1 Ohio State (finished 12-1)
L 42-31 vs. Purdue (finished 8-6)
L 27-16 at Northwestern (finished 4-8)

We showed promise, and we were fun to watch, but I am SURE there were some people griping about Zook at that point. (This is NOT a discussion about post-2008 Zook, BTW, it's just to make the point that a Rose Bowl was in our immediate future after that NU loss, and very few would have predicted it.) However, despite being a scrappy team with potential, there is no way to describe being 2-10 other than "we suck." I am hopeful we can still scrap together 5 wins. Nebraska is entirely beatable, and thankfully I think they'll get that coveted first win vs. Minnesota this weekend. Then you just got to beat one of Minnesota, Maryland and Northwestern. Hard to do, certainly, but not impossible. 5 wins going into next season would be important.

Back to the game this weekend, I think we look better than we did against Purdue but still lose by a lot. I will say we hang with them the first quarter (maybe 10-7 Wisconsin?) and trail by 7-10 at halftime. It's the third quarter that terrifies me, LOL.

aiwpfan

Springfield, Il
That's my favorite Illini game of all time. I miss Kittner. And Lloyd. Hell, I miss Ron Turner.
I was at that game, and it was freaking awesome to hear the Big House go completely silent except for the handful of Illinois fans going crazy.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I was at that game, and it was freaking awesome to hear the Big House go completely silent except for the handful of Illinois fans going crazy.
Was that the Rocky Harvey game? When he scored late, which gave scUM a chance to tie with a TD and 2pt conv.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles

I was going to make the trip to Ann Arbor, but changed my mind after the homecoming loss to the Gophers. To this day I regret that decision...

Beautiful.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Damn, you actually just sparked a tad bit of hope in me, haha. I totally discount Lovie's first year, and I only marginally judge him for last year; it was essentially another free pass. I have actually been rather pleased with the team's performance this year until we laid down vs. Purdue. That just can't happen, and I hope it's a huge learning experience.

Playing Wisconsin tough would do a lot for this team's confidence before we head into a string of winnable games. I will also throw out that I think I was wrong about Purdue, and they might be a top 25 team the way they're playing. If they can upset OSU Saturday and we still win two games or more down the stretch, literally no one will remember that game. There was really only one blowout loss in 2006 and we don't have the same talent level, but let's not forget this was our season a year before going to the Rose Bowl and beating #1 OSU in Columbus:

W 42-17 vs. Eastern Illinois (finished 8-5)
L 33-0 at Rutgers (finished 11-2)
L 31-21 vs. Syracuse (finished 4-8)
L 24-7 vs. #14 Iowa (finished 6-7)
W 23-20 at Michigan State (finished 4-8)
L 34-32 vs. Indiana (finished 5-7)
L 20-17 vs. Ohio (finished 9-5)
L 26-12 at Penn State (finished 9-4)
L 30-24 at #18 Wisconsin (finished 12-1)
L 17-10 vs. #1 Ohio State (finished 12-1)
L 42-31 vs. Purdue (finished 8-6)
L 27-16 at Northwestern (finished 4-8)

We showed promise, and we were fun to watch, but I am SURE there were some people griping about Zook at that point. (This is NOT a discussion about post-2008 Zook, BTW, it's just to make the point that a Rose Bowl was in our immediate future after that NU loss, and very few would have predicted it.) However, despite being a scrappy team with potential, there is no way to describe being 2-10 other than "we suck." I am hopeful we can still scrap together 5 wins. Nebraska is entirely beatable, and thankfully I think they'll get that coveted first win vs. Minnesota this weekend. Then you just got to beat one of Minnesota, Maryland and Northwestern. Hard to do, certainly, but not impossible. 5 wins going into next season would be important.

Back to the game this weekend, I think we look better than we did against Purdue but still lose by a lot. I will say we hang with them the first quarter (maybe 10-7 Wisconsin?) and trail by 7-10 at halftime. It's the third quarter that terrifies me, LOL.
I really don't view the game at Maryland next week as winnable.

Status
Not open for further replies.