Pregame: Illinois at Wisconsin, Sunday, February 15th, 12:00pm CT, CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Champaign, IL
^^^^^^^^

Time to load up again. Too easy.

Thought that way the last 2 years and it ended very badly. Drove home after that game last year and told myself to never bet on Illinois to cover at Wisconsin again.

Last edited:

Assuming Black starts tomorrow, I like the following defensive match-ups:
1) Tate - Koenig
2) Nunn - Gasser
3) Hill - Dekker
4) Black - Hayes
5) Egwu - Kaminsky

The Hill - Dekker matchup is interesting bc Malcom is 3 inch shorter but I think he compensates with quickness and overall bball IQ. Black gives up 30 lbs to Hayes but with his height and tenacity I think he keeps up. When Nanna needs a breather I think AC matches up better on Kaminsky than Mav. also want to see Rice on Hayes when we go small and move Hill to the 4. That lineup may work better for us if Black isn't up to the challenge.

Hold Wisconsin under 70 and we have a fighter's chance. Some have suggested going zone but I think tough man to man is a better strategy based on match ups.

1) Tate - Koenig
2) Nunn - Gasser
3) Hill - Dekker
4) Black - Hayes
5) Egwu - Kaminsky

The Hill - Dekker matchup is interesting bc Malcom is 3 inch shorter but I think he compensates with quickness and overall bball IQ. Black gives up 30 lbs to Hayes but with his height and tenacity I think he keeps up. When Nanna needs a breather I think AC matches up better on Kaminsky than Mav. also want to see Rice on Hayes when we go small and move Hill to the 4. That lineup may work better for us if Black isn't up to the challenge.

Hold Wisconsin under 70 and we have a fighter's chance. Some have suggested going zone but I think tough man to man is a better strategy based on match ups.

Rice on Hayes and Hill on Decker might work well for us. I don't see Black having much success guarding Hayes. Not knocking Black, because most players have trouble guarding Hayes, but Black is obviously still learning defensively. I'm not sure if Groce will put Rice on him, but I'd like to see it.

Chicago, IL
1) Tate - Koenig
2) Nunn - Gasser
3) Hill - Dekker
4) Black - Hayes
5) Egwu - Kaminsky

Yeah that would be an eye opener for Black. He would foul out in record time. He's still developing, has to stop guarding with his hands. We may not see much of Leron tomorrow. (That is if we can keep it competitive)

The Hill - Dekker matchup is interesting bc Malcom is 3 inch shorter but I think he compensates with quickness and overall bball IQ.

I'm not sure that Hill is quicker, in fact I'd give that edge to Dekker.

Yeah that would be an eye opener for Black. He would foul out in record time. He's still developing, has to stop guarding with his hands. We may not see much of Leron tomorrow. (That is if we can keep it competitive)

Yep. Hayes and Kaminsky draw a lot of fouls, will be a big challenge for Egwu and Black.

61-57 Illinois. Rice Hill and Nunn go off for 14, 15, and 16.

Iowa City
Since ESPN has been showing this and it's a Bill Raftery call, I'm calling it relevant to our game. We've had some bad experiences on CBS weekend noon games but Raftery is great!

I'd take a "send it in Leron" on Sunday.

My gut tells me this is not going to be close. Hope against everything that I'm wrong, but JFG hasn't played well there. Ever.

We actually haven't lost by less than double digits since 2010, and Wisconsin is a bonafide contender for the national championship this year. I hope some boardies are right that we have a shot in this, but I'm just hoping to see some positives out of Rice and maybe Starks.

My gut tells me this is not going to be close. Hope against everything that I'm wrong, but JFG hasn't played well there. Ever.

We actually haven't lost by less than double digits since 2010, and Wisconsin is a bonafide contender for the national championship this year. I hope some boardies are right that we have a shot in this, but I'm just hoping to see some positives out of Rice and maybe Starks.

I agree that it will be a tough place to win and I don't think it will happen. But the "ever" for Groce at Wisconsin is 2 games, right? :)

Decatur, IL

JFG has played there? I didn't know he has played in the kohl center, his teams have but not himself. [emoji16][emoji16]

I have the same gut feeling. Still, crazier things have happened than us winning tomorrow.

Yeah I remember that "Welcome to the Big Ten" handshake from Bo Badger behind the scenes during JFG's first year.

Someone mentioned Wisc. and Bo and how few fouls are called on them at Kohl Center. So I checked.
Personal fouls for opp. and Wisc. in their home games in big ten play:
Opp. Wisc.
23 - 13
24 - 12
18 - 14
16 - 9
23 - 15
20 - 12

A little over 8 fewer calls on them per game avg.

Chambana
Someone mentioned Wisc. and Bo and how few fouls are called on them at Kohl Center. So I checked.
Personal fouls for opp. and Wisc. in their home games in big ten play:
Opp. Wisc.
23 - 13
24 - 12
18 - 14
16 - 9
23 - 15
20 - 12

A little over 8 fewer calls on them per game avg.

What's the difference between: fouls called against Wisconsin at home and on the road?

That's a winner!!
OH
What do the fouls numbers look like for any home team in the Big Ten.

the paign
Wisconsin hasn't faced much of a challenge in most of their games this year...

Rutgers obviously and Duke. Rutgers they were missing Kaminsky. Duke has better talent.

Outside of that they seem to have coasted except for @Michigan, Georgetown in early season holiday tournament game, and Purdue actually gave them a game in Madison.

Purdue really beat them up on the boards and shot >50% but were outshot on the FT line 31 to 7! Probably some home cooking there.

Georgetown similar story. Turned into a a bit of a slug fest - shot the ball really but again were outshot at the FT line 27 to 13!

The formula is out there - need to really play physical and pound the boards. And I think for Illinois to make a game of it will need to get a little hot from 3 and really need Rice/Hill/Nunn to make more of a concerted effort to get to the rim. Problem is we probably won't get very many calls in Madison when driving to the hoop.

I think Illinois has to come out and turn the game into a bit of a fist fight - try to get Kamisnky and/or Hayes in foul trouble. Use Colbert/Morgan to deliver some hard fouls on their guys.

Just can't get blitzed from the get go - seen how that script goes in Madison.

I think we fight, but Wisky pulls away late. 65-54

Ok I feel like being a whipping boy today lol.

I was at the Michigan game and (I'm not 100% sure of the exact time) illinois didn't get to the FT line until around the 12 minute mark of THE SECOND HALF!!! This is absolutely unacceptable especially from a team shooting nearly 80% from the stripe.

I'm not sure, but I believe we really don't shoot as many free throws as we should. I know from the few games I've been to and ive watched every game that when in half court offense they seem to drive towards the rim then stop at the free throw line or before they get to the paint and kick it out. They really need to drive deeper in and try and draw contact. They are just to good at the stripe to not get attempts.

I'm not sure that Hill is quicker, in fact I'd give that edge to Dekker.

Maybe we'll see Nunn defend Dekker in certain situations/lineups? Just not sure how effective our zone D will be against Wisconsin with Kaminsky/Dekker/Hayes being able to shoot pretty well from the perimeter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Bay Area, CA
Anyone have an opinion on RR starting on Sunday?...he eventually broke his funk after first 40 minutes against Mich. ..seemed like malcolm may have been negatively impacted by the adjusted rotation and going back to 4 mostly...thoughts?

On defense and offense, I like Malcolm Hill at the 3 much better than the 4, since he does not match up well down low against a Nigel Hayes type of body. I would use Black or Morgan to guard Hayes at times during the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.