Pregame: Illinois at Wisconsin, Sunday, February 15th, 12:00pm CT, CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I feel like being a whipping boy today lol.

I was at the Michigan game and (I'm not 100% sure of the exact time) illinois didn't get to the FT line until around the 12 minute mark of THE SECOND HALF!!! This is absolutely unacceptable especially from a team shooting nearly 80% from the stripe.

I'm not sure, but I believe we really don't shoot as many free throws as we should. I know from the few games I've been to and ive watched every game that when in half court offense they seem to drive towards the rim then stop at the free throw line or before they get to the paint and kick it out. They really need to drive deeper in and try and draw contact. They are just to good at the stripe to not get attempts.

I agree it's frustrating we don't get to the FT line more often, I've been harping about that for years, the same was true during most of the Weber era as well. A lot of that is because we shoot a lot of jump shots. Aside from Rice and Hill, we just don't have too many players that are good at attacking and drawing fouls.

Also regarding the last game, Michigan is really good at not fouling. That's true for them just about every season with Beilein as their coach. And the same will be true today with Wisconsin, they defend by moving their feet and not using their hands, so don't expect many free throw attempts for the Illini this afternoon.

Random question. What time do you guys think the players wake up for a mid day game like this? Because you don't want the player's to be lethargic but you also want them to get a good night's rest.

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
Random question. What time do you guys think the players wake up for a mid day game like this? Because you don't want the player's to be lethargic but you also want them to get a good night's rest.

Since it's a road game I assume there are team meetings/breakfasts in the morning, so I doubt they have a lot of latitude to "sleep in."

the paign
I agree it's frustrating we don't get to the FT line more often, I've been harping about that for years, the same was true during most of the Weber era as well. A lot of that is because we shoot a lot of jump shots. Aside from Rice and Hill, we just don't have too many players that are good at attacking and drawing fouls.

Also regarding the last game, Michigan is really good at not fouling. That's true for them just about every season with Beilein as their coach. And the same will be true today with Wisconsin, they defend by moving their feet and not using their hands, so don't expect many free throw attempts for the Illini this afternoon.

I agree with what you just said. Especially that rice mainly and hill and Tate to a lesser extent seem to be the ones that will do it on occasion. But the point I was trying to make is, regardless of who is the driving player they will start to drive then whether they are getting the lane or not they stop at the FT line or the paint and kick it back out without pushing the issue a little harder. I understand sometimes its the better/smarter thing to do in the situation but more times than not they stop and kick out before even attempting to get farther to the hoop.

Its just super frustrating especially with as good as we are at the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.