Pregame: Illinois at Wisconsin, Wednesday, January 8th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just crazy to look at the latest TRankings and see Griffin @ #24 in the B1G.

It's worth noting that Torvik's default sort for player rankings is PORPAGATU (Points Over Replacement Per Adjusted Game At That Usage). So it's essentially a ranking of scoring ability.

BPM (Box Plus Minus) reflects both offense and defense. By this metric, Griffin is #1 in the B10 and #5 in D1 with a rating of 11.7. Torvik's records go back to only 2008, but the only other Illinois player during that time with a BPM of 10 or above is Rayvonte Rice during his senior season.

tell me more about these “TRankings”?

Bart Torvik's T-Rank. Tempo-free stats like KenPom but everything is free.

Giorgi hasn't figured out how to contribute on the offensive end with
Kofi posting up. He is turning down too many easy shots. 15 footers, 10
footers even when he would shoot the jump hook last year. He needs to
be more balanced. In the preseason a lot you were talking he was NBA
material. His one on one game is non-existent this year.

Yes...and our coach still won't start him over a guy that refuses to shoot...:unsure: I thought BW was too stubborn for his own good but BU is getting there.
I could care less if Alan starts or not, as long as he gets at least 25 minutes a game; and is in the final lineup at the end of the game.
He’s earned it, and has shown to quite possibly be the most versatile guy on the team.

Yes...and our coach still won't start him over a guy that refuses to shoot...:unsure: I thought BW was too stubborn for his own good but BU is getting there.
Starting or not is irrelevant. Minutes matter and Griffen needs to get 5+ more than he has been. DaMonte still our best defender, which matters.

Deleted member 4960

D
It
doesn’t matter who starts. BU wants to play AG 20-25 minutes a game so he can go hard all of the time he is out there. He said in the last presser he played 19 and should have had him out there for 25

Don't see Wisky throwing bricks all night like Purdue. Offense has hit shots at likely a higher % than year avg. and turnovers have to be single digits. Wisky gets back on defense as good as any so running and playing in a hurry is not going to work. I don't see our guys winning as they simply cannot match the Badgers in half court play and do not have much patience resulting in too many fumbles, charges, and wild shots as the shot clock winds down. Would a ever love to see better screens and cuts to provide better shots late in clock....but sure do not expect to see it. Kipper and Georgi need to be patient and efficient and get up good shots without turnovers....but again that would be unexpected. Wisky will likely put the slow torture on defense and build a lead all the way to the buzzer as the Illini build the turnovers to 16+ and their bigs take advantage of Kofi's defensive inexperience with jump hooks and short bank shots.

Confidence and patience are Wisky's strength and our weakness and our style makes those assets stronger. Now, I hope the Illini prove me wrong and show they are patient, take care of the ball, play under control, put up good shots, rebound with a vengeance, play all out defense. and show they know how to play the game like a confident B1G team!

Last edited:

Deleted member 645583

D
I'm wishing and hoping that the Purdue victory is a sign of things to come. Beat Wisconsin! Illinois has the talent; now show it with a major winning streak.

But wishing and hoping is what Illini fans are all about.

I would start Alan Griffin because of the energy he brings. Man, the guy was all over the place against Purdue.

Coach, when he was hired, said something like games are won by starting fast. Then let AG start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see Wisky throwing bricks all night like Purdue. Offense has hit shots at likely a higher % than year avg. and turnovers have to be single digits. Wisky gets back on defense as good as any so running and playing in a hurry is not going to work. I don't see our guys winning as they simply cannot match the Badgers in half court play and do not have much patience resulting in too many fumbles, charges, and wild shots as the shot clock winds down. Would a ever love to see better screens and cuts to provide better shots late in clock....but sure do not expect to see it. Kipper and Georgi need to be patient and efficient and get up good shots without turnovers....but again that would be unexpected. Wisky will likely put the slow torture on defense and build a lead all the way to the buzzer as the Illini build the turnovers to 16+ and their bigs take advantage of Kofi's defensive inexperience with jump hooks and short bank shots.

Confidence and patience are Wisky's strength and our weakness and our style makes those assets stronger. Now, I hope the Illini prove me wrong and show they are patient, take care of the ball, play under control, put up good shots, rebound with a vengeance, play all out defense. and show they know how to play the game like a confident B1G team!

This is the Michigan game part deaux. Run Bucky off of the 3 point line and make then go inside, then use our size and strength to out rebound them, while getting into the lane ourselves. Yeah they won at OSU, but they also lost to N. Mexico and Richmond.

Odds of Illinois playing two consecutive good games....not good.
Odds of Illinois playing well on the road....not good.

Despite that, I'm actually more hopeful of us playing well than I have been in a while. This is a tough game, I really want us to be in it to the end.

Illinifanatic4ever

Orange & Blue Blood in my Veins
I really think only Michigan State and Maryland probably have more all around talent then the Illini this year. I would think Michigan is pretty similar. We should be better then everyone else talent wise as long as you can get them to play well together. I am so impressed with our defense lately and that is an aspect of the game that travels well on the road. Play defense and score enough points!!! Go Illini

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Haven't won in Madison in 9 years. Please don't let that reach a decade.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I like our chances with the adjustments we have made on D. As close as we played them last year, we just gave away points at the line and backdoor cuts being over-aggressive.

I found my head going up and down agreeing with you on the point that Wiscy gets back well and we don't play a very good half court game.
It just got a little harder for me to feel good about our prospects, unfortunately

He's certainly been very good, but he's only going to guard smaller guys. DaMonte can guard anyone from a 5'10" kid up to a 6'7" kid.
Stefanovic is 6'4 fwiw. Plus, on the perimeter, TF does his work on denial and stopping dribble drive. Both he and DW are gonna have a tough time stopping a 6'7 post-up.

Sometimes it's when you play a team and Wisc. has been playing their beast basketball thus far. They have been shooting really well at home. They play tough defense and do a good job boxing out and keeping opponents off the offensive glass. Frazier ,said it, they have to come out with the same energy every game (ourdue)

Think Wisc will try to gain an advantage with their size, including the tOSU transfer Potter who just became eligible. We could counter that more directly if BBV were healthy. Kofi and Georgi will have their work cut out for them. Wonder if BU has been trying to work on a small role for Hamlin to add more size to the lineups. Also Tevian could help if he’s getting caught up to game shape. Would like to see him have a breakout game and see the ball go through the hoop 4-5 times.

Last edited:
Think Wisc will try to gain an advantage with their size, including the tOSU transfer Potter who just became eligible. We could counter that more directly if BBV were healthy. Kofi and Georgi will have their work cut out for them. Wonder if BU has been trying to work on a small role for Hamlin to add more size to the lineups. Also Tevian could help if he’s getting caught up to game shape. Would like to see him have a breakout game and see the ball go through the hoop 4-5 times.
Or we could just (d)rain 3's all night????

I acknowledge that I haven't seen Wisc play this year, but I did some looking at their team and stats. Doesn't appear that "size" is an advantage for them. Reuvers @6'11/235 plays more a stretch 4, good shooter, shoots 3s well for a big, but looks to be susceptible to running up some fouls, averages on 5.6 Rebounds (all defensive, maybe favoring getting back on defense). other big playing major mins, Akeem Ford 6'8/217/24.5 min. Other bigs Potter (OSU transfer) 6'10/248/12.5 min over the last 4 gms. (no significant role . . .yet) and Tyler Wahl Fr forward 6'7/214/16 min (limited role). I'll be here to eat my words, but don't see getting beat by a Wisc inside game on either end.
This Wisc team's positive's: Very, Very Veteran (4 RS JRs, 3 JRs, 5th Yr player, RS So and a true Fr in their rotation), disciplined, coordinated; Shooting the 3 ok, 1st in Big 10 Free throw % (but lower level in opportunities) Shoots the ball well overall, but wants to play at an extremely slow pace (Underwood said in pregame interview: 250 out of 253 in NCAA).
Looks like this is a style of play game. If Illinois can play faster, should win comfortably, But since that probably won't happen, looks like a game where the winner is whoever plays it out to the end. We can/should win that if the defense plays active and in coordination.
But Size should be our advantage.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
I'm wishing and hoping that the Purdue victory is a sign of things to come. Beat Wisconsin! Illinois has the talent; now show it with a major winning streak.

But wishing and hoping is what Illini fans are all about.

I would start Alan Griffin because of the energy he brings. Man, the guy was all over the place against Purdue.

Coach, when he was hired, said something like games are won by starting fast. Then let AG start.
Started 11-0 vs Purdue with AG on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.