Pregame: Illinois vs Akron, Saturday, August 31st, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for the yearly depressing question of the crowd at the home opener. Do we stop our downward slide? :cry:

2016: 48,644 vs. Murray State (2:30 pm)
2017: 42,505 vs. Ball State (11:00 am)
2018: 38,898 vs. Kent State (11:00 am)

Can't really blame our fans for bailing, but it's always sad to see an empty Memorial Stadium. I hope we get a convincing and fun victory in this first game, pick up a win at UConn and take care of EMU to bring out a decent sized crowd out for the Nebraska game. Nebraska should be pretty good, and if we could somehow score an upset there or at least give them a hell of a game, that would do WONDERS for this season ... 4-0 is a bit too crazy to even consider for what we've seen from this regime over the past three years, frankly, but we can't afford another Purdue catastrophe.

Forget which season should have an asterisk due to Deloitte paying for student tickets, but I think it will be closer to 33,000. Also the official box score has the Kent St. attendance at 31,898. So I'm predicting a minor up tick (unless they run another promotion).

https://fightingillini.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=15398

Forget which season should have an asterisk due to Deloitte paying for student tickets, but I think it will be closer to 33,000. Also the official box score has the Kent St. attendance at 31,898. So I'm predicting a minor up tick (unless they run another promotion).

https://fightingillini.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=15398

There was one year (2015?) when they included the Soldier Field game in the student season ticket package. Of course, most students didn't attend but they got to count them in the attendance figures.

I'm going to guess that the Weasel fan didn't attend any games in the 80s. The experience during the White years was much different than in the Smith - years.

I believe that. We HAVE to find a way to make “Illini football” a cultural event, even when we’re not the best. I’ve heard time and again, IU football games are actually fun even when they suck. Grange Grove was a massive improvement for outside the stadium, it sounds like we just need to make it a little less bland inside.

FT35

Naperville
Quite un-Lovie like to not play this close to the vest.

I was surprised by this too since this gives Akron more time to prepare for Peters. I looked it up and Bush was named the starter on August 27th last year which was the week of the Kent State game.

I'm not sure what we can take away from this other than the fact that the QB race probably isn't very close.

Brandon Peters has been officially named the starter for this game:

I think it was fairly close but nothing is lost. Isaiah is a very good quarterback and is the future for the Illini. I hope Isaih still gets a lot of playing time before the B1g starts and after. Quarterbacks often get injured, so Isaih needs to be prepared to start or come in anytime. The idea of red shirting Isaih is ridiculous and so is drawing up special plays for him everytime he comes in. I think opposing teams can figure that out. We need a top level qb to learn the ropes this year. I believe the ideal situation to win now and the future is to start Brandon Peters the first half of the first game and bring in Isaih the second half of the first 3 games. This way Isaih is ready if Brandon gets injured or if the teams wants to use two quarterbacks at least part of the season. This also makes it difficult for opposing defenses to game plan for the Illini because you they are unpredictable and hopefully unstoppable. I hope no one suggest Isiah be used at another position, we lose the kid and a lot of ball games doing that. Also, starting does not guarantee finishing. Good luck to both qb's the team is much stronger having both of them.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I was surprised by this too since this gives Akron more time to prepare for Peters.

I tend to be of the view that delaying and obfuscating the decision does more to hamper your own preparations than your opponent's.

What is, uh, the fun part of bringing an umbrella?

Because aluminum benches don't shed the rain water and you didn't bring enough napkins from the concession stand to wipe off your seat. And wet blue jeans for 3 1/2 hours is unpleasant.

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again: The University of Illinois does nothing to make it “fun” to actually be AT the game. Constant complaints of people standing, can’t bring umbrellas in, they make you pay for a child to sit on your lap, getting rid of third down chants, etc...
Not to keep dwelling on this but shouldn't the beer sales help with this 'fan morale' issue?
That being said, I still think the best antidote by far is a competitive team for any potential quarrels there are about Memorial Stadium or the atmosphere

Not to keep dwelling on this but shouldn't the beer sales help with this 'fan morale' issue?
That being said, I still think the best antidote by far is a competitive team for any potential quarrels there are about Memorial Stadium or the atmosphere

Obviously, winning cures all ... but you can VERY easily control the non-winning aspects; getting a good team is harder. So, it’s more frustrating when we don’t even fix the easy stuff in the meantime.

As for beer sales, it can’t hurt!! :p

Time for the yearly depressing question of the crowd at the home opener. Do we stop our downward slide? :cry:

Can't really blame our fans for bailing, but it's always sad to see an empty Memorial Stadium. I hope we get a convincing and fun victory in this first game, pick up a win at UConn and take care of EMU to bring out a decent sized crowd out for the Nebraska game. Nebraska should be pretty good, and if we could somehow score an upset there or at least give them a hell of a game, that would do WONDERS for this season ... 4-0 is a bit too crazy to even consider for what we've seen from this regime over the past three years, frankly, but we can't afford another Purdue catastrophe.

The beer sales might help. 😂

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
I can't wait for it to be Williams' team, but I am really excited to see Peters as our QB this season. I think we have a chance to see the most competent quarterbacking we've had since the Scheelhaase/O'Toole.

I can't wait for it to be Williams' team, but I am really excited to see Peters as our QB this season. I think we have a chance to see the most competent quarterbacking we've had since the Scheelhaase/O'Toole.[/QUOTE

Hope he approaches my friend Nate.

I was surprised by this too since this gives Akron more time to prepare for Peters. I looked it up and Bush was named the starter on August 27th last year which was the week of the Kent State game.

I'm not sure what we can take away from this other than the fact that the QB race probably isn't very close.

I think they want him to see how teams game plan him. After Akron, there’s no secret to who is starting. If this game is close, we have a lot more to be worried about than akron having time to game plan

Whether or not Williams redshirts this year depends on how well Peters does and whether or not Peters gets hurt. Playing Peters the first half and Williams the second is not a good idea.

Whether or not Williams redshirts this year depends on how well Peters does and whether or not Peters gets hurt. Playing Peters the first half and Williams the second is not a good idea.

Putting in backups at the end of a blowout is a good idea though.

Deleted member 654622

D
I think it was fairly close but nothing is lost. Isaiah is a very good quarterback and is the future for the Illini. I hope Isaih still gets a lot of playing time before the B1g starts and after. Quarterbacks often get injured, so Isaih needs to be prepared to start or come in anytime. The idea of red shirting Isaih is ridiculous and so is drawing up special plays for him everytime he comes in. I think opposing teams can figure that out. We need a top level qb to learn the ropes this year. I believe the ideal situation to win now and the future is to start Brandon Peters the first half of the first game and bring in Isaih the second half of the first 3 games. This way Isaih is ready if Brandon gets injured or if the teams wants to use two quarterbacks at least part of the season. This also makes it difficult for opposing defenses to game plan for the Illini because you they are unpredictable and hopefully unstoppable. I hope no one suggest Isiah be used at another position, we lose the kid and a lot of ball games doing that. Also, starting does not guarantee finishing. Good luck to both qb's the team is much stronger having both of them.
I think the ideal situation is Peters starts every game the next two years and can give garbage time to the backups. If that happens, it is because we are winning ball games

If the game were in the afternoon, I'd absolutely be there with my family and enjoying a nice day of tailgating and football. An 11am game isn't attractive. It's too early. I know I could tailgate after the game, but for whatever reason that seems backwards to me.

DrGerg

Rockin Chemist
Chicago
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate post, but I was looking for recommendations for (hopefully free) places to park around C-U for the game. My dad and I usually travel separately from hours away and we only have one parking pass for lot 42 this year. Normally we've gotten down early and he has parked in the lot behind Murphy's for free. I would pick him up from there and we would drive to lot 42. With all of the changes that happen every year, I was wondering if somebody could confirm that lots is still there and available or if you have any other recommendations for coming down to the game.

I know I can buy parking for $20 but was looking for a free alternative. Thanks in advance and please remove if it inappropriate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.