Pregame: Illinois vs Akron, Saturday, August 31st, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have an experienced QB in their system. Thats something we do not have. They have defensive continuity similar to ours; this is their NU game this year (in terms of importance). They will show up to play. Will we? Thats a much tougher ask for week 1. Especially against a perceived inferior opponent.

IMO UoI should schedule a tough recruiting regional juggernaut for week 1 every year (think Notre Dame). That way it heightens their exposure; may help with in state recruiting.

Yes, let's schedule a juggernaut like Notre Dame and get absolutely destroyed. Would be great for recruiting.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Not really understanding a lot of the predictions here. At the very least, our experience and talent at RB and the OL means we probably can run all over them with a very basic passing scheme.

The D should be the biggest question mark, so if I thought it would be a close game, it would not be because the O scored minimally, it would be because the D gave up almost as many as we scored. So if I was a doubter, I'd predict something like 48-38.

HOWEVER, not a bit in doubt about this one, so going with Dude's 66-12. LOL

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
They have an experienced QB in their system. Thats something we do not have. They have defensive continuity similar to ours; this is their NU game this year (in terms of importance). They will show up to play. Will we? Thats a much tougher ask for week 1. Especially against a perceived inferior opponent.

IMO UoI should schedule a tough recruiting regional juggernaut for week 1 every year (think Notre Dame). That way it heightens their exposure; may help with in state recruiting.
How'd that work out in the Guenther era when we did that? Not so well as I recall. It probably kept us out of a few bowl games we would have been in otherwise , which by the way would have helped recruiting a whole lot more than getting creamed by a "regional juggernaut".

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
So, Sydney Brown has a "serious hamstring injury," according to Lovie. Not great, Bob. OTOH, he was running on the sideline at today's practice.

SKane

Tennessee
I recall that ILL did schedule Notre Dame twice on the post-slush-fund 1960s.

!967: Notre Dame 47 - ILL 7

1968: Notre Dame 58 - ILL 8.

Note the trend. If there had been a game in 1969, the score should have been 69 - 9.

If there were a game this Saturday, ILL would likely get humiliated again. Some things change but some things don't change.

How'd that work out in the Guenther era when we did that? Not so well as I recall. It probably kept us out of a few bowl games we would have been in otherwise , which by the way would have helped recruiting a whole lot more than getting creamed by a "regional juggernaut".
We need to have the talent, but if we do I am all for letting it rip. My two most memorable nonconference games were Jeff George's Illini beating USC on national TV Monday night, and the beloved losing to Dan Marino. If we can compete, bring these folks on.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
We need to have the talent, but if we do I am all for letting it rip. My two most memorable nonconference games were Jeff George's Illini beating USC on national TV Monday night, and the beloved losing to Dan Marino. If we can compete, bring these folks on.
I had a friend watching with me, he passed out with USC up 13-0, a tipped pass helped the comeback. He didn't believe me when I told him we won.

Deleted member 656517

D
If you consider yourself a betting man take the over vs Akron. Our experienced OL will clear the way for the stable to run free for 250+. The DL's experienced enough now to get the job done and look great against a mac team

Deleted member 656517

D
If you consider yourself a betting man take the over vs Akron. Our experienced OL will clear the way for the stable to run free for 250+. The DL's experienced enough now to get the job done and look great against a mac team
If we don't post at least 500 yards against the zips, I'll be worried come BTN time...Saturday can't come soon enough!

Deleted member 656517

D
If he covers it’ll bring some nice national attention. If not everyone’s going to think he’s the biggest idiot in the country lol

Bottomline we have a Doak Walker and Maxwell watchlist Running Back 4 returning OL starters adding a Alabama Grad transfer to that line, who absolutely went against the cream of the crop in practice everyday for 4 years while at Bama. Yall kidding yourselves if you think this nothing less then a 3-5 touchdown win. Did I mention a stable of backs that can all hold there own. We going to run on them all day!!!!

reopseed60

Naples, Florida
I remember the Pitt game, they put 12 players that year om the Pros. 4th quarter, Illinois is driving for what could be the winner, when we have a ball intercepted on the 4 yard line by a lineman who returns it all the way 90+ yards for the winner.... Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.