Pregame: Illinois vs Augustana, Wednesday, November 22nd, 6:00pm CT, BTN Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 236589

D
Is this the post where we build up Augustana and act like we're not going to win this game by 40?

That's exactly what this is. It's a practice game built into the middle of the season. A practice game where we dominate at every position, all the way down to our walk-ons.

If we don't win by 40, I'll be slightly disappointed. If we don't win by 30, I'll be disappointed and shocked. If we only win by 20....I'd guess it means we only played until halftime.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Just to be clear our record after tomorrow nights game is 4-0 regardless of the outcome. Right? its all about feeling good or bad about how we look.

I was wondering the same thing. I thought it counted on our record, but not for the tourney committee. Which makes little sense.

I was wondering the same thing. I thought it counted on our record, but not for the tourney committee. Which makes little sense.

Yes this game will count toward our record. Its like the McKendree game last year.

The difference between a good D1 team, and the best of D2 and D3 is not that great. D1 are generally much better athletes. The best of the guys playing D2 are generally better shots and have high BB IQ, and can be pretty good at getting the ball through the hoop if given a chance. My local D2 team (UAA Seawolves) have beat a number of P5 schools over the years in the Great Alaska Shootout. They have won between 25 and 30% of their D1 games on the home court, including Missouri, Wake Forest, Texas, Washington, Miami, Auburn, Texas Tech, Penn State, Notre Dame, Southern Illinois. They even beat the '89 Michigan NC team on a neutral court (think a couple of Michigan guys had the flu tho, lol). One year they shot 48% from 3PT for the season as a team. In the time Grand Canyon was in the D2 west region, I don't recall them ever making the NCAA tourney. Not saying Augie is going to be a tough game, but when you play a top team from D2 or D3, you had better show up ready to play.

From a competitive standpoint, we should beat Augustana by 50 points.....I don't care if they're the DIII National Champions. Fact is, they are DIII and our second team should win by 30.

This game should purely be a glorified scrimmage that's just some added practice time/playing time vs warm bodies.

They might not be able to literally sleep during the game, but getting up 10 minutes before tipoff should be sufficient.

Ah, hubris. This is just silly. It doesn't matter if there's a huge disparity in talent. Fear no one, respect everyone. Always.

illinitrav

NW Suburbs
Just to be clear our record after tomorrow nights game is 4-0 regardless of the outcome. Right? its all about feeling good or bad about how we look.

Incorrect. The game will count on the W/L record, stats will count, etc.

It doesn't count towards RPI and strength of schedule, but it is not the same as the EIU game or Wash U/Lewis last year.

The difference between a good D1 team, and the best of D2 and D3 is not that great. D1 are generally much better athletes. The best of the guys playing D2 are generally better shots and have high BB IQ, and can be pretty good at getting the ball through the hoop if given a chance. My local D2 team (UAA Seawolves) have beat a number of P5 schools over the years in the Great Alaska Shootout. They have won between 25 and 30% of their D1 games on the home court, including Missouri, Wake Forest, Texas, Washington, Miami, Auburn, Texas Tech, Penn State, Notre Dame, Southern Illinois. They even beat the '89 Michigan NC team on a neutral court (think a couple of Michigan guys had the flu tho, lol). One year they shot 48% from 3PT for the season as a team. In the time Grand Canyon was in the D2 west region, I don't recall them ever making the NCAA tourney. Not saying Augie is going to be a tough game, but when you play a top team from D2 or D3, you had better show up ready to play.

This 100%. Dont sleep on Auggie. Their bball org. runs a tight ship there; they most certainly will have concocted a strategy to keep this game close.

Don't Bag on The Vikings!

I'm really looking forward to this game. My dad taught at Augie for 20+ years and I grew up going to all their home games. They got a DIII runner up when I was 10 or so and have followed them from a distance during their recent resurgence (don't ask me any questions...I can't answer them :) ).

My parents happen to be coming in to town (here in CA) tomorrow afternoon so I got the BTN plus so we can all watch it as a family.

Interesting side note...Augie was the Alma Mater of the great Bengals QB Kenny Anderson!

All that being said, MY alma mater should crush a DIII school. Any DIII school.

Not expecting too much of a crowd at this game with it being Thanksgiving break and given I'm guessing not too many people know about Augustana. That said I hope are players show up and play at 100%.

I wonder how much money the greedy Big Ten is making off of their internet broadcasts? Instead of subscribing, I listened to the game old school yesterday on the radio and really enjoyed hearing Brian Barnhart doing the play by play. And to top it off, got to see Lou Henson and his wife at the Ribeye later in the the day.

That just makes me happy to see, both for the Hensons, and that the Ribeye is still around

Dan

Admin
Underwood: Took yesterday off so it's another one-day prep. NCAA rules force you to take a day off even when we're not in school.

Underwood: I scheduled Augustana game because I've known coach for entirety of my coaching life. "There's a reason they win, and they win at extremely high level."

Underwood: Take away the name on the front of their jersey, and they play as hard as any team you'll see.

Underwood: It'll be a great challenge for us. It'll force us to grow. We'll have to be good offensively because they compete at high level defensively.

Underwood: Worry more about preparation of team. You can play some very poor non-DI teams and you get nothing out of it. Tomorrow, we're going to get something out of this.

Underwood; I have tremendous trust in Te'Jon. He's our quarterback. Need him to stay out of foul trouble.

Underwood: Te'Jon very dialed in defensively. rarely out of position. Won't ever be a big scorer, but we need him to make FTs, run our team, make right passes and QB our defense.

Underwood: Different style for Mark Alstork playing a lot more off the ball. First game, he was aggressive because he got easy opportunities and got to FT line. When he's in attack mode, he gets fouled a lot. Still learning what we do offensively.

"I'm very vanilla with what I have put in so far." Worries about that with B1G games just 10 days away.

Underwood: "Hard" to get team prepped quickly.

Underwood: We've been very vanilla defensively. A few things put in, but we spend a lot of time on game prep.

Underwood: Wants to do "a lot" of full-court press. "Make every second of the opponent against us under some duress or stress. We want them stressed."

Offensively, we're trying to play with pace. But also has to be a sense of when not to do that. Not quite there yet.

Underwood: Identity is trying to become a hard-playing defensive team. Not quite sound yet in those areas, but we're getting there.

"When you have pride, then I can really coach you. ... He hasn't touched his ceiling. He doesn't know that yet."

Underwood: Nichols has tremendous pride. He cares not just about he plays, but his teammates.

Underwood: Nichols can be an alternative dribbler, can post up, can get a 3 from. Need consistency from him every day and from defensive end.

Underwood: Frazier has always been a scorer. Never been froced to lead and run things. Gives a different look. He was "electric" in practice today. Gets

Underwood: No drop off from Lucas to Frazier on defense the other day.

Underwood: I don't play you if you don't practice well. Kipper was getting to point where I was going to give others opportunities over him.

Underwood: "Da'Monte is a great listener, incredible listener." Always looking at coaches when they're talking. "That's very rare."

Underwood: Da'Monte understands what his strengths are, what he can do for this team. His maturity level and coachability are ahead of what I consider for most freshmen.

https://twitter.com/JWerner247

[YOUTUBE]vNb-gpbEPDY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]7z6vKsO6VZw[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]2qRc501G0uY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]qzxrGn4ZXH4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
[YOUTUBE]vNb-gpbEPDY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]7z6vKsO6VZw[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]2qRc501G0uY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]qzxrGn4ZXH4[/YOUTUBE]
LB was hilarious...Kipper "Jimmy Butler" Nichols....Mom likes his hair (Kippers) and thats all that matters...

BU sounded like Augustana may be our toughest challenge yet.

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
So much was said about the recruiting of Coleman, but man does he understand the game of basketball. He’s bought into Underwood’s program and really understands the system and what needs to happen to find success.

First time seeing extended Chin time. Seems like much more than just a recruiter.

Good interview.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
It sounds like this game could be a real brawl. Looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.