Pregame: Illinois vs Augustana, Wednesday, November 22nd, 6:00pm CT, BTN Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
We are currently on #283 Strength of Opponent from BPI and #302 SOS from Kenpom. Next we play a D3 opponent. I don't think this is the level that a B1G team should learn things from. You can smash 20 potatoes and then get smashed in the conference.

I don't think our games before the conference can prepare us well enough for how to deal with Happ/Haas/Bridges or even Vick Law

At least it gets a little better. I mean UNLV, Wake (even though they are not looking great right now), and certainly Miznoz will be reasonably decent tests. I'm okay with this season's non-con being a little easier since we have so many freshmen and guys learning a new system and trying to gel together.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
We are currently on #283 Strength of Opponent from BPI and #302 SOS from Kenpom. Next we play a D3 opponent. I don't think this is the level that a B1G team should learn things from. You can smash 20 potatoes and then get smashed in the conference.

I don't think our games before the conference can prepare us well enough for how to deal with Happ/Haas/Bridges or even Vick Law

@Wake- 77
NMSU- 103
@UNLV- 140
Mizzou- 72
GCU- 129

This team has tests ahead. I'm not going to convince you so I'll stop trying but playing Top 100 teams with as many new faces/roles as this team has while trying to implement a radically different offensive and defensive scheme would just be asking for a losing streak. And you know what is great for the confidence of a bunch of teenagers.... losing.

The team could lose 3 in a row next week and it really wouldn't change a thing. This team will not be good to start big ten play and it doesn't matter who these first 6 games are against. The hope is that come February/March they are comfortable with the system and playing much better.

Oldtoysrock

Sarasota, Florida
Don't sleep on Augie. They are highly ranked D3 and execute well.

Unlike Groce, I get the impression Underwood isn’t likely to let the guys look past anyone, especially if it means not putting forth 100% effort for 40 min’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
At least it gets a little better. I mean UNLV, Wake (even though they are not looking great right now), and certainly Miznoz will be reasonably decent tests. I'm okay with this season's non-con being a little easier since we have so many freshmen and guys learning a new system and trying to gel together.

+1 All of the players besides Alstork will be back next year and beating worse teams while gaining confidence in a system is big time. It sounds like Underwood will look to have a stronger schedule in the future, but this may have been the best case scenario for this year. The only bad news is I think we will need 20 wins going into the BTT and have to win 2 games there to get into the tourney.

Someone please refresh my memory, but was under the impression a freshman could play in any of the non-conference games, but once the first conference game came up on the schedule, he could not enter any game afterwards, which would null and void a redshirt for that year.

A player loses the possibility of a non-medical redshirt if they play in any regular-season game. It doesn't matter what year they are.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Yea! Augie is a lot better than some people here think.

Augie comes into the game undefeated at 3-0 with a win on the road against the Heidelberg Printers, followed by home wins against the Calvin Reformers and the Alma Maters.

No huge blowouts, but around the 10 point margin of victory range. They've got 8 guys averaging about 15 minutes or more and 4 guys averaging double digits in scoring. More turnovers than assists, shooting about 38% from three and they get to the line alot more than their opponents.

One big starter at 6'11", but then four guards no bigger than 6'4". Not a lot of bench scoring. And they've only shot about 13 threes a game.

Should be an interesting game.

Obviously Illinois should win but Augie is not your normal D III program. They have a 6'10 man inside and another player 6'8 both are nice athletes. They were the DIII National Runnerup last year and there Coach Grey Giovanne is as good as they come. They are as well coached as any team you will see. He was the head coach at D I Lamar until deciding to come to Augie to be closer to home and raise a family. While I certainly would not expect them to win it would not surprise me if they are able to hang with the Illini for a period of time

I think he is talking about the Augustana game only. If they are as overmatched as some think, I'd also like to see both freshmen big guys play a lot.
I agree...surprising that Augustana has 6 guys over 6'8".

Last edited:

cabmaker

eastern IA
I agree with love the Ilini about augie. not only runner up last year but very respectable and have been very good for a number of years. they play hard and are a experanced team. I think they will run with the Ilini in the first half. Ilini win by 10 on this one.

I agree with love the Ilini about augie. not only runner up last year but very respectable and have been very good for a number of years. they play hard and are a experanced team. I think they will run with the Ilini in the first half. Ilini win by 10 on this one.

10? You’re joking right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cabmaker

eastern IA
I am not joking. they have 2 final 4 finishes under this coach. one in 2015, and then last year. I have been told grey has had d1 offers but has turned them down to stay at rock island. he is a highly respected coach. this years team is expected to make the final 4 again. granted its a d3. all i am saying is don't sleep on this team.

I am not joking. they have 2 final 4 finishes under this coach. one in 2015, and then last year. I have been told grey has had d1 offers but has turned them down to stay at rock island. he is a highly respected coach. this years team is expected to make the final 4 again. granted its a d3. all i am saying is don't sleep on this team.

So how many wins do you expect from us this year, 5? 10? Jeez man. Do you this Augustana would beat Marshall? You know, the D1 team we just beat by 17. If we only win by 10 I’ll never be confident in another game ever again.

Is this the post where we build up Augustana and act like we're not going to win this game by 40?

This is the post where we collectively recoil at the thought of playing a game we should win because JFG had a way of making every game closer than necessary.

Augie comes into the game undefeated at 3-0 with a win on the road against the Heidelberg Printers, followed by home wins against the Calvin Reformers and the Alma Maters.
The Heidelberg Printers? Is it a college for press operators?

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
So how many wins do you expect from us this year, 5? 10? Jeez man. Do you this Augustana would beat Marshall? You know, the D1 team we just beat by 17. If we only win by 10 I’ll never be confident in another game ever again.

I would be ok winning by 10 if it meant playing Ebo, Matic, etc 20+ mins.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Would love for Spicy-G and Matic "Silky Handles" Vesel to get some significant tick in this one. Though I know nothing about their defensive philosophy, I expect Augustana to play a lot of zone in this one (because, ya know, why wouldn't they?) so it's a good opportunity to knock down some threes and get some players in rhythm. A certain Mark Alstork could sure use a few to drop.

Just to be clear our record after tomorrow nights game is 4-0 regardless of the outcome. Right? its all about feeling good or bad about how we look.

Underwood wont allow the players to take this or any game "off". This game should be similar to the Southern game in regards to margin of victory.

Deleted member 236589

D
Don't sleep on Augie. They are highly ranked D3 and execute well.

From a competitive standpoint, we should beat Augustana by 50 points.....I don't care if they're the DIII National Champions. Fact is, they are DIII and our second team should win by 30.

This game should purely be a glorified scrimmage that's just some added practice time/playing time vs warm bodies.

They might not be able to literally sleep during the game, but getting up 10 minutes before tipoff should be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.