Admin
Illinois vs Austin Peay
Wednesday, December 6th
7:00pm CT
BTN

:illinois:

MoCoMdIllini

Montgomery County, Maryland
We were a 3 seed back in 1987. We lost to these guys by 1.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Deleted member 631370

D
Didn't we play them like 10-15 years ago at the Hall? I seem to recall listening to the game via the Austin Peay radio network, and their announcer was absolutely fantastic.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Id like to give the same starting lineup another go. Build some confidence and get back on track.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
It seems like BU's overall strategy is to keep the game close with the starters, jump into another gear with the first round of subs, and then wear down the opponent with our relentless depth and energy. The strategy seeks to build overwhelming momentum over the course of the game.

Doesn't work if the starters come out flat. Doesn't work if the first round of subs is a step down. When it fails, it feels bad. But when it works? We will seem unbeatable at times.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
We were a 3 seed back in 1987. We lost to these guys by 1.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yup. The name Austin Peay still sends a chill up the spine of us old timers. Nobody had ever heard of them and now we'll never forget them.

Let's get a big win Wednesday and get Finke and Smith back on track while we do it.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Austin Peay is responsible for the best chant in the history of college basketball:

"Ultimately, Fly Williams will be best remembered for a very clever and funny chant that would have the NCAA higher-ups in Kansas City squirming in their starched shirts and suits were it popular today. During Fly’s playing days, the APSU faithful would chant at length:

'Fly is open, let's go Peay!'"

Link

vividly recall watching game in dorm room ...

I'm assuming we're going to see some zone. Hopefully BU can experiment a little. Put Damonte, Alstork, or Smith in the middle of it. Or play Damonte at PG, with AJ and Alstork on the wings. Try to find something that gives the team confidence against a zone.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Didn't we play them like 10-15 years ago at the Hall? I seem to recall listening to the game via the Austin Peay radio network, and their announcer was absolutely fantastic.

Yes, it was sometime between 2005-2008 - my time in the Orange Krush. I'll look it up and then edit this post.

EDIT:
Opening game of 2006; high scorers were Jamar Smith & Shaun Pruitt
http://www.fightingillini.com/boxscore.aspx?id=1499&path=mbball

Also in 2014; high scorers were Malcolm Hill, Rayvonte Rice, and Kendrick Nunn
http://www.fightingillini.com/boxscore.aspx?id=1804&path=

Last edited:

FightingIllini09

Belleville, IL

The Krush contingent on the floor started a "Where's Austin Peay" chant. The portion of Krush in C section replied back "We don't know". Heh Heh.

Deleted member 29907

D
I'm assuming we're going to see some zone. Hopefully BU can experiment a little. Put Damonte, Alstork, or Smith in the middle of it. Or play Damonte at PG, with AJ and Alstork on the wings. Try to find something that gives the team confidence against a zone.

Hopefully we can get Ebo some more reps - we're going to need him this season.

Am I the only one who feels even better about this team after the last two losses? LOL, don't get me wrong ... I really wanted those wins, and it might haunt us. However, this team is not smoke and mirrors, IMO; they can be really good. I say we get back on track with a convincing victory and a six-game winning streak going into The Barn.

Illinois 89
Austin Peay 58

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Am I the only one who feels even better about this team after the last two losses? LOL, don't get me wrong ... I really wanted those wins, and it might haunt us. However, this team is not smoke and mirrors, IMO; they can be really good. I say we get back on track with a convincing victory and a six-game winning streak going into The Barn.

Illinois 89
Austin Peay 58

Agree all :thumb:

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
After his performance against Maryland, I wouldn't mind seeing Frazier start at PG. Love his game on both ends of the floor.

Illinois 89
Austin Peay 58

Absolutely....:clappy:

Dan

Admin
Underwood: The thing that was fairly new to me was that start, not being ready to play (against Maryland). In hindsight I was very fortunate at SFA and Oklahoma State when the lights came on our guys were ready to go. #Illini

Underwood: That was very disappointing. It leads me to I've got to do a better job there. I've got to make sure our guys know there's a game ready to play. #Illini

Underwood: Very easily could be 9-0, but we're not. We're 6-3. We've got to continue to grow and improve. #Illini

Underwood: (On Austin Peay) They play the same kind of defense. They're extremely physical. They don't have tremendous size, but they have defensive end looking type guys.

Underwood: I wasn't very happy with that group (starters) in different points in Northwestern game. ... I don't know if it had as much to do with who was on the court as our mental approach to the game. I was really proud of that line change, really proud of that group.

Underwood: I think we're getting about 20 minutes a game from (Aaron Jordan). He excites me more for what he brings in personality and attitude than he does his play, and his play is tremendous. #Illini

Underwood: I was making a lot of offensive and defensive substitutions with (Aaron Jordan). I'm not going to do that — or as much. ... He impacts as emotionally. #Illini

Underwood: Our crowd was phenomenal (Sunday). That's Illinois basketball I remember.

Underwood: Will (AJ) see more minutes? Some. Will he see more shot opportunities? I hope. I need to get him more. The other stuff he's bringing to us, the confidence, he's quietly becoming a leader. That's something that's maybe out of left field a little bit. #Illini

Underwood: Trent's been exceptional — not good. He's been exceptional in practice. His shiftiness, his speed, changed the momentum of (Sunday's) game. #Illini

Underwood: By nature, I'm really impatient. It's one of my big character flaws. One of many if you talk to my wife. I think one of my better traits is I understand the process. ... Not get ahead of what the moment is. Not get ahead of our games. I think that's helped me. #Illini

Underwood: Finally. Da'Monte's a good offensive player. We need him to be an aggressive player on that end and not a guy who's just a facilitator so to speak. Da'Monte's now latched on to AJ and in every morning getting shots. #Illini

Underwood: Leron might lack in size, in height, but he's done it his whole life. He's figured out how to get his shot off. He shoots some fadeaway stuff, but he gets it very high and has a quick release. We'd like to see Leron get to the foul line more. #Illini

Underwood: It's the rule. They missed it ("goaltend" on Trent Frazier shot not called) and it's the rule. I don't like the rule. It's a non-reviewable play. ... We have review to try to get the calls right and make the right calls. #Illini

Underwood: Those other coaches know the scouting report. I think Mark (Smith's) shocked sometimes to see how open he is. He's got to shoot it better. ... They're taking away the drive and forcing him to shoot that shot. #Illini

https://twitter.com/srrichey
[youtube]vGCeT-WckjU[/youtube]

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]r3NiMwUzEdo[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.