Pregame: Illinois vs Ball State, Saturday, September 2nd, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

james81

North Carolina
I have looked at this game The Line is Illinois -7.5 at many shops.

Very surprised it is so low. Everything I see Illinois should roll winning this by 21 points.

What am I missing ? Why is the line so low? If the Illini cant' beat Ball State by 21 points we are in for a awful long season

I don't get the spread either, although it has to do with betting and I have no idea how it works. I'm with you on winning by at least 21 points. I don't see how they stop our running game. We should wear them down. My concern is Ball State getting some big plays against our secondary. At the same time, based on the history of their QB, this game may be one of our best shots at getting some interceptions.

Serious question, why is the line so low at home against a horrible team? Are we really expected to be THAT bad? I would think even last year's team would get a much better line than that.

Kramer116

Chicago
Serious question, why is the line so low at home against a horrible team? Are we really expected to be THAT bad? I would think even last year's team would get a much better line than that.

My guess includes we lost a multi year starter at QB replaced by a guy with 1 start coming off shoulder surgery, we lost multiple senior DL players, a few in the NFL now, and coming off a not great season. A lot of questions marks and unknowns especially for one not paying attention to the team inside and out.

My guess includes we lost a multi year starter at QB replaced by a guy with 1 start coming off shoulder surgery, we lost multiple senior DL players, a few in the NFL now, and coming off a not great season. A lot of questions marks and unknowns especially for one not paying attention to the team inside and out.

So basically what you're saying is we are supposed to be that bad?

It happens every year where we think we are going to be better than we actually are. It's just at nature of being a fan. It's what keeps us coming back year after year. Hopefully we are all pleasantly surprised but the odds aren't in our favorite.

Deleted member 29907

D
So basically what you're saying is we are supposed to be that bad?

I am thinking he's saying - they don't know enough about what we are going to be (or not be) and so they are playing the line down. If a bunch of money started flowing to the Illini, then they will move the line to increase taking a risk on BallS

who's glad were are not opening in the StL dome against Mizzou for what would be now would be like the 22nd consecutive loss to them

While I used to hate opening our season with a loss in a dank dome that was solidly in our opponent's turf, I kind of miss it now. If we ever get competitive enough and St. Louis had a better venue to host it at, that could be as cool as the Braggin' Rights Game. Back circa 2008 when I was kind of high on Illini football, I used to think it was cool that my team was opening with a rivalry game vs. Missouri at a neutral site while my Iowa friends were tuning into Iowa vs. Wyoming or something.

My work computer restricts that link ... anyone want to tell me what Indianapolis will be showing? That's where I'll be stuck. :D

Last edited:

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Any idea (based on last year maybe?) when we might know this week's uniform combo?

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
While I used to hate opening our season with a loss in a dank dome that was solidly in our opponent's turf, I kind of miss it now. If we ever get competitive enough and St. Louis had a better venue to host it at, that could be as cool as the Braggin' Rights Game. Back circa 2008 when I was kind of high on Illini football, I used to think it was cool that my team was opening with a rivalry game vs. Missouri at a neutral site while my Iowa friends were tuning into Iowa vs. Wyoming or something.

My work computer restricts that link ... anyone want to tell me what Indianapolis will be showing? That's where I'll be stuck. :D

Need your zip code and subscriber (comcast, directv, att uverse, etc.)

Need your zip code and subscriber (comcast, directv, att uverse, etc.)

Ah, figured. I'll most likely be at a bar, and it looks like the local teams don't conflict:

- Indiana plays OSU on Thursday
- Purdue plays Louisville (in Indy, it so happens!) at 7:30 pm EST
- Notre Dame plays at 3:30 pm EST

That makes zero guarantee that I'll get someone to show the Illini game, but it doesn't hurt! LOL.

who's glad were are not opening in the StL dome against Mizzou for what would be now would be like the 22nd consecutive loss to them

That was a painful period under Zook, starting 0-1 and launching Mizzou to lofty heights in the ratings. And the Marching Mizzou out-played our troops as well.

Dan

Admin
USA Today's initial CFB rankings has Ball State at 111 and Illinois at 112
https://twitter.com/BobZuppke/status/902237648088997890

A 25,346-word preview on a football team picked to finish last in the Big Ten West? Why? BECAUSE I LOVE IT.
https://twitter.com/ALionEye/status/902185029857660929

Illinois has 19 straight home-opening wins, the 4th-longest active streak in the nation behind Fla. (27), Okla. State (21) and Wisc. (21).

Out of 101 total players on the 2017 roster there are just 9 total seniors, tied for the second-least in FBS – Ga. Southern (8) and Wake (9)

Four players enter 2017 with double-digit career starts – DiLauro 31, Turner 24, Allegretti 12, Dunlap 12

WR Mike Dudek looks to return to action for the first time since Dec. 26, 2014, a span of 981 days.

https://twitter.com/IlliniStats/status/902216809646088192

[youtube]iYi0-wd8dKo[/youtube]
[youtube]oyQo2_jx6TU[/youtube]

Dan

Admin
Football Gameday Guide
http://fightingillini.com/sports/2015/7/31/football_gamedayguide.aspx

Grange Grove Info
http://www.fightingillini.com/news/...the-place-to-be-on-gameday.aspx?path=football

Game week notebook: Illini open 2017 season on Saturday
https://illinois.rivals.com/news/game-week-notebook-illini-open-2017-season-on-saturday

[youtube]vnQzHdfwqtc[/youtube]

#illini Lovie: Jaylen Dunlap hasnt practiced

#illini Lovie: Reggie Corbin hasnt practiced yet

#illini Lovie:Kendrick Foster starter at RB. Epstein and Bonner must step up. They've had outstanding training camps.

#illini Lovie: Cam Watkins, Tony Adams, Nate Hobbs, Frank Sumpter, Evan Jones must step up at CB.

#illini Lovie: Nate Hobbs is physically good to go.

#illini Lovie: Can't rely on guys who haven't practiced in training camp.

#illini Lovie: Long time coming for Mike Dudek. He's had a good camp. We've taken our time with him.

"He's healthy and excited to go."

#illini Lovie: First play important for Dudek. "Hopefully he doesn't hyperventilate during pregame warmup."

#illini Lovie: We have a good idea of which freshmen will play. They tell you during practice.

#illini Lovie: Defensive coaches would rather play a QB who's in the pocket most of the time. Guy who can run brings another animal.

"We have that in Chayce."

#illini Lovie: Chayce, once you get yards, get down. When you score, give the ball to the official. He brings "instant energy."

#illini Lovie: "From day one, Chayce is our guy. We really love him being our quarterback. He's going to have a great year.

#illini Lovie: Boyd and Palczewski will play a role on OL this year. OL is healthier.

#illini Lovie mentioned Blake Hayes as an important freshman. Australian loved mock game on Saturday. Has strong leg.

#illini Lovie: Hayes "is our punter. He's going to have a long career for us."

#illini Lovie: Less scouting Week 1. More about our schemes, but always "is more about what you do."

#illini Lovie: "We're going to play a lot of young players, and sometimes playing a lot of young players can be a good thing."

A few tidbits

- Garrick McGee said Louis Dorsey is in TE rotation.

- Ricky Smalling brings "competitiveness" at WR

- Garrick McGee said Ra'Von Bonner and Mike Epstein had great camps. Even better than staff thought they'd be.

- Hardy Nickerson said Julian Jones and Justice Williams will play SLB. Delshawn Phillips at WLB.

- CB Ahmari Hayes had good camp

https://twitter.com/JWernerScout
[YOUTUBE]6wLgphKPNXQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]RcWApHC7ULE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]fu3hS6Mpd5g[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]UsGOMR1Jg0E[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]Uu_nSgn0oz8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]-7mM4dU87EI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Wait, neither Dunlap nor Corbin practiced all camp??? I remember hearing Dunlap missed the first day because of an undisclosed leg injury, but I don't recall any other mention of it or of Corbin at all. Did I miss something? Any word on how serious these injuries are?

No word on their injuries. Lovie doesn't give up that info. But no, they haven't practiced.

gecIllini

Colorado

610 on DirecTV for Indianapolis
1716 on Comcast
410 on DISH

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
BTN2Go requires a subscription to BTN via a cable/streaming provider.

Indeed. Of course if you have SiriusXM you can listen on radio no matter where you are, at least withing the continental US. Or spend the afternoon in a bar in the next cable provider over. Or help your daughter move so you can check in occasionally for the score. :mad:

Assuming I have one, is it worth it? Especially for games like Ball State which me should actually win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you said you gave up cable, you might be confusing things. BTN Plus costs $10/month or $80/year and shows programming not available on TV. You won't get to see any football games with it, but there might be some exhibition basketball games.

BTN2Go is a free app (or the ability to stream BTN programs to your computer), but you can only get it if you pay for cable, satellite, or one of the many streaming services, such as Hulu, YouTube TV, Playstation Vue, etc., with a bundle which includes BTN. You're probably looking at a minimum of $35-40/month.

No one knows what our team can do. Not even us. This team just needs to prove it on the field. I'm thinking we win 35 to 24.

I agree, our team is young and will likely make freshman mistakes. I don't think anyone has any sense of what they will do. Just for reference, we only beat Ball St by 11 pts in 2007 (28-17) when we had better talent than we do today (ie. Juice, Mendenhall, Benn, Leman, etc.). I have no idea if Ball St was any good in 2007, but I doubt their talent compared with that Illini team.

I agree, our team is young and will likely make freshman mistakes. I don't think anyone has any sense of what they will do. Just for reference, we only beat Ball St by 11 pts in 2007 (28-17) when we had better talent than we do today (ie. Juice, Mendenhall, Benn, Leman, etc.). I have no idea if Ball St was any good in 2007, but I doubt their talent compared with that Illini team.

I cant really take stock in any game played a decade ago in terms of performance this year.

That is an interesting tidbit considering that was the last year we were remotely relevant in football, maybe a close win will bring similar prosperity :)

Status
Not open for further replies.