Pregame: Illinois vs DePaul, Friday, November 17th, 7:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Rule #35a: Never, ever gamble on a team you are emotionally attached to.:illinois:

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Ever seen Hardball? Keau Reeves wins 20K on a Bulls game! Point proven.

Oh, of course! I always refer to fictitious characters and movies when making stupid financial decisions!:thumb:

If this game is 20mins, I am confident that it is a comfortable W for :illinois:

But I am really worried about our gas running out again at final 10mins of 2nd half.

Anyone can give a head up on how deep is this Depaul roster?

We have almost a full week off from last game. These guys are 18-22 year old physical specimen, mentored by Coach Fletch. Why would you think they would tucker out in the second half?

Illini by 100 :thumb:

I think it will be one of those games where it's close at half, BU lights them up in the locker room, and we come out and have a great 2nd half. Win by 23.:illinois:

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Dux

Hong Kong
I think it will be one of those games where it's close at half, BU lights them up in the locker room, and we come out and have a great 2nd half. Win by 23.:illinois:

I think you should watch DePaul play

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should watch DePaul play

I would think the team has, and we will hopefully be able to defend. The perimeter shooting is what I question. This is a game Alstork needs to step up. We shoot from outside good, we win. Think our perimeter shooting must improve and be consistent. That will keep the zones from popping up.:thumb::illinois:

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
I'm typically more of a pessimist, but I'm going with the Illini vs. DePaul. Thinking we get more easy shots than the Blue Demons.

ILL 78
DEP 71

I think Alstork steps up this game, even though I don't like that hitch in his 3-point shot. Would prefer to see half his points come from posting up and/or short jumpers in the paint. I also can't believe how quickly Greg and Matic have fallen out of the core rotation. Guess that means we're down to a 9-man rotation for the time being....with Trent, DMW, Kipper and AJ off the bench.

Frank Dux

Hong Kong
I would think the team has, and we will hopefully be able to defend. The perimeter shooting is what I question. This is a game Alstork needs to step up. We shoot from outside good, we win. Think our perimeter shooting must improve and be consistent. That will keep the zones from popping up.:thumb::illinois:

So you think we'll win by double digits? Hope you're right. Also wouldn't count on our outside shooting winning us any games this year

You have to think our three point shooting will improve considering the shooters we have on our team. I'm more worried about defense and turnovers.

whovous

Washington, DC
Are you the guy who said bet the over on the UT-Martin game? ;)

That was me. About ten minutes into that game, with the score around 13-10, I remembered once again why I do not bet.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
That was me. About ten minutes into that game, with the score around 13-10, I remembered once again why I do not bet.

Haha, thanks for owning up! Fortunately I don't bet often. I'm usually only in Vegas once, maybe twice, a year, and that's to play in pool tournaments, not to gamble. But I will go throw a $20 bill on a couple of my favorite teams to win it all. And that is just 'cuz I'm a fan and I figure it's worth the braggin' rights for the rest of my life should I somehow happen to win. :D

I'm typically more of a pessimist, but I'm going with the Illini vs. DePaul. Thinking we get more easy shots than the Blue Demons.

ILL 78
DEP 71

I think Alstork steps up this game, even though I don't like that hitch in his 3-point shot. Would prefer to see half his points come from posting up and/or short jumpers in the paint. I also can't believe how quickly Greg and Matic have fallen out of the core rotation. Guess that means we're down to a 9-man rotation for the time being....with Trent, DMW, Kipper and AJ off the bench.

Is Greg out of the rotation? I got to watch the last game but I guess I did not really notice.

Deleted member 236589

D
IMHO, not "just like" Northwestern, but pretty close. I don't consider DePaul or Northwestern to be one of our rivals... I could be wrong in my opinion but, I don't consider any of the in-state teams to be a true rivalry with the Illini.

Oh, this could be a rivalry. They have a brand new stadium closer to campus, so they aren't going to be playing in front of 1,000 fans anymore. If they show they can beat us and if they improve in the Big East, recruiting will become increasingly difficult. It sure did in the early 2000's when Fat Pat was running the show.

This game does not benefit Illinois whatsoever. If we win, we were expected to win and if we lose, we lose credibility and they gain it and have a recruiting pitch.

It's was much to our benefit that we did not schedule them when they were actually good and quite honestly, they aren't THAT bad now. They're bottom basement of the Big East, but they're competitive and like somebody said....they have size.

A loss here and 670 will be all over it, as will the Chicago papers.

Staff may want to rethink holding Ebo or Vesel out of games due to inexperience, bad practices, or whatever the reason. There's been numerous references of Ebo's defense/shot blocking ability and Vesel's shooting accuracy. Not wishing it will happen, but if one of our bigs go down, they'll have to lean on the freshmen then and the light part of the schedule right now would be the time to allow them in for just a few minutes more per game to get a feel for what's going on.

Think this game would be pretty close to a toss-up if it was on a neutral court.
We need to do real work

Staff may want to rethink holding Ebo or Vesel out of games due to inexperience, bad practices, or whatever the reason. There's been numerous references of Ebo's defense/shot blocking ability and Vesel's shooting accuracy. Not wishing it will happen, but if one of our bigs go down, they'll have to lean on the freshmen then and the light part of the schedule right now would be the time to allow them in for just a few minutes more per game to get a feel for what's going on.

I think they were held out of the last game because it was a close game. Getting experience for those guys is really important. But still winning the game is more important.

I think they were held out of the last game because it was a close game. Getting experience for those guys is really important. But still winning the game is more important.

Totally understand, yet 1-2 minutes per game for the freshmen bigs is not going to cut it and the upcoming games are not necessarily going to get any easier.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]XlbZf9jQxcI[/YOUTUBE]

Totally understand, yet 1-2 minutes per game for the freshmen bigs is not going to cut it and the upcoming games are not necessarily going to get any easier.

Their minutes need to come in the first half. If they play well, give them more, if they don’t then sit them for the second until you trust them. If it’s close in the second half and you don’t trust they can give quality minutes then you play who you must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.