Pregame: Illinois vs East Tennessee State, Saturday, December 15th, 1:00pm CT, BTN Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Illinois vs East Tennessee State
Saturday, December 15th
1:00pm CT
BTN Plus

Please direct all questions/comments about BTN Plus to the BTN Plus Thread

:illinois:

foby

Bonnaroo Land
#WEWillWin

I am so glad we have a W coming into this week break. This place would be awfully ugly if we had choked for real.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Won’t be a gimme. They are better than unlv from what I’ve seen/read.
Most likely a hair or two below UNLV. I couldn't see UNLV losing by 17 to Wofford at this point in the season.

Hit the books this week boys and be ready to win on Saturday.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
I hope Samba plays a lot. I was impressed with his flashes. Also, I think Griffin is going to be a very good player when all is said and done...he’s a competitor.

Deleted member 746094

D
Bold statement coming. 15+ point win. I just feel this team needs a little break and some much needed confidence only a W today could have provided.

Samba needs as many minutes as he can handle, AG and TV need to get 12 to 15 a game in the next 3 games. This should help some with depth. B10 will be challenging though. There just isn’t a “bad” team this year.

Bold statement coming. 15+ point win. I just feel this team needs a little break and some much needed confidence only a W today could have provided.

Samba needs as many minutes as he can handle, AG and TV need to get 12 to 15 a game in the next 3 games. This should help some with depth. B10 will be challenging though. There just isn’t a “bad” team this year.

Rutgers says, “Woohoo! We aren’t “bad”!”

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
I’m gonna roll with the guys got tight at the end of the UNLV game, knowing they needed a win to get back on track. I think we see a looser team against ETS.

Won’t be a gimme. They are better than unlv from what I’ve seen/read.

Won't be a gimme because this team isn't very good yet.

Personally, I'm looking for measurable improvement, as well as the eye test. A couple games ago, we were around 90 in KenPom, and have been dropping (currently down to 106).

Another metric you I look at, is how we're trending against the spread, since presumably Vegas would have the smart money view of whether we should be winning/losing, and by how much. We're currently 2-6 vs the spread at home, which is lousy. Trent's injury is an issue, but I also think we're just not that good, and not being coached up, at least thus far.

Subjectively, we're not passing the eye test IMHO, but being young, I expect a lot of freshman mistakes. I don't expect those to go away, but as we get further into the season, I would expect us to get tougher mentally, improve our execution, and have better decision-making. Not night and day improvement, but improvement.

This game and Missouri are roughly toss-ups. Then we have Floridad Atlantic which we'll be favored for, maybe even double-digit. Then it's trial by fire in the BIG, with the only Rutgers below us. Eek!

I would guess that BU is indeed stubborn to a fault, although I have no knowledge. Just watching his ingame demeanor, he is extremely intense and some stubbornness goes with that, imo. Not that intensity is all bad, in fact it is not.

illini80

Forgottonia
I'm hoping we show growth in the these next 3 games and don't just survive as I feel we did with UNLV. Every W is a good one. But I want more from this team. I want to see we have grown to the point of competing with anyone. I want to see smart decision making down the stretch. I want to see we have learned how to throw a dang lob pass without 50% of them being turnovers for cripes sake. 80% of this teams weaknesses are mental. Yes we have too many physical limitations, but that's not the main reason we are where we are.

Hey at least this isn’t the Chicago Bulls, talk about a dumpster fire. Go Illinois, love the improvements I am seeing with the system!

In good news, we have passed Rutgers in kenpom and T-rank.

In more important news, East Tenn is horrible at shooting FTs. So that will be good for us. They also don't get to the line too much, but I am sure we'll up to the challenge of getting them there.
They are a good rebounding team on both ends, so that will be rough.

We'll have to be better at turning them over than we were against UNLV.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
In good news, we have passed Rutgers in kenpom and T-rank.

In more important news, East Tenn is horrible at shooting FTs. So that will be good for us. They also don't get to the line too much, but I am sure we'll up to the challenge of getting them there.
They are a good rebounding team on both ends, so that will be rough.

We'll have to be better at turning them over than we were against UNLV.
I laughed, only because it is so true...

Came here to post something about how I want to see us win by at least X points ... but honestly, let's just win two in a row. Beat a team we should beat at home to get on what could be the last winning streak of the year if we don't improve and then take it one game at a time. Regardless of the year, we should never go into the Braggin' Rights Game EXPECTING a loss. :cool:

I'll go with a 77-61 Illini victory ... closer than we'd like, but I'll rarely complain about a W.

Most likely a hair or two below UNLV. I couldn't see UNLV losing by 17 to Wofford at this point in the season.

They only lost by 6 to Creighton earlier in the year...Creighton only lost by 11 to Gonzaga, but lost to Nebraska by 19...soooo....

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
My quick KenPom analysis suggests this will be a tough game. They're no. 7 in the country in Off Reb%, we're 312 in Off Reb% allowed. However, they rank 249 in TO%, we're 10th in forced TO%.

If we force TOs and don't give up second chance buckets, we'll win.

I think #WeWillWin, but with the way we close out games (or rather don't close out games) I can't pick us by much:

ILL - 76
ETSU - 70

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
After the last game and I aged 10 yurs in the last 4-5 minutes of that game , i just want a win...1 point or 30 points , a win is a win for the Illini right now...post it in the lerft column as BU says and move on...

Illini 78
ETSU 66

Came here to post something about how I want to see us win by at least X points ... but honestly, let's just win two in a row. Beat a team we should beat at home to get on what could be the last winning streak of the year if we don't improve and then take it one game at a time. Regardless of the year, we should never go into the Braggin' Rights Game EXPECTING a loss. :cool:

I'll go with a 77-61 Illini victory ... closer than we'd like, but I'll rarely complain about a W.
Always cringe at a guesstimate score. Seriously, Illinois (as in, "it's so Illinois to defy logic and lose in as many mathematically ways possible "...who cares about a final score or margin of victory.?We win by 1, cue Pharrell Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.