Pregame: Illinois vs Evansville, Thursday, November 8th, 7:00pm CT, BTN Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Hey IlliniGman. I played frosh-soph basketball at Carmi in 66 and 67. My head coach was David Lee who played with Jerry Sloan on the Evansville Purple Aces. Sloan would occasionally visit our practices. What year did you graduate Carmi?

David Lee played at SIU....My uncle Bob Lee ( David's brother ) took me and another cousin to SIU when the Saluki's played Louisville and Wes Unseld when they were ranked # 1 in the country and beat them...A Lville fan sitting behind us was drinking and cussing and my uncle turned around and one punched him and that shut him up the rest of the game ....great time and the Saluki mascot would go over to the Lville bench and act like he was peeing on them during timeouts....
David Lee was the head coach of the McLeansboro Foxes when we won state in 1984 going undefeated with Brad Sloan ( Jerry's son )Tracy and Stacy Sturm,
and others...great season...
I did a lot of partying at Carbondale in the mid to late sixties...surprised I survived ....:cool::alien:o_O

Last edited:

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Other nominees include McLeansboro’s David Lee. Lee played for 1963-66, averaging more than 10 points per game in his career.
Lee was a UPI honorable mention All-American in 1965. After leaving SIU he had a long career as a prep basketball coach. His McLeansboro team won the 1984 Class A state championship.

David is Brad's uncle....

illini55

The Villages, FL
Yeah, but how do they set the initial odds for Game 1?

Quite literally, there are a handful of sports guys sitting in a room and analyzing every game. They are uncannily good. Once in a while, you see the line move a lot, but by and large, it stays within 10% across the board.

I've always wanted to be one of those guys, but alas, the call never comes....

Evansville used to have an unforgettable logo. It was a purple riverboat gambler. They got rid of it for something totally generic and their program swandived soon after (15+ years now).

THis sounds familiar.. It happened to my favorite team as well... My team used to have a cool mascot that came out at half-time and pumped every one up and helped the team win. Now that my favorite team doesn't have a mascot, they do not seem to win as much.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
THis sounds familiar.. It happened to my favorite team as well... My team used to have a cool mascot that came out at half-time and pumped every one up and helped the team win. Now that my favorite team doesn't have a mascot, they do not seem to win as much.

Haha. Good story, but the correlation of mascot, er symbol, with record seems a bit much.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
David Lee played at SIU....My uncle Bob Lee ( David's brother ) took me and another cousin to SIU when the Saluki's played Louisville and Wes Unseld when they were ranked # 1 in the country and beat them...A Lville fan sitting behind us was drinking and cussing and my uncle turned around and one punched him and that shut him up the rest of the game ....great time and the Saluki mascot would go over to the Lville bench and act like he was peeing on them during timeouts....
David Lee was the head coach of the McLeansboro Foxes when we won state in 1984 going undefeated with Brad Sloan ( Jerry's son )Tracy and Stacy Sturm,
I did a lot of partying at Carbondale in the mid to late sixties...surprised I survived ....:cool::alien:o_O
Hah! As a Carbondalien I love hearing stories like this.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Hah! As a Carbondalien I love hearing stories like this.
I also went to see Walt Frazier play 4-5 times...If I remember it was at a high school gym...can't remember if that was before the new gym was built or it was being renovated....late sixties lifestyle has me hazy and crazy....

Illinois Ave. was a trip back then...Did a lot of partying at Merlin's usually seeing REO Speedwagon on Friday nites....

Last edited:

I believe you're referring to Brian Sloan from the 1984 McLeansboro team.....not Brad

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I believe you're referring to Brian Sloan from the 1984 McLeansboro team.....not Brad
you are correct sir...had brad on the mind...

i was upset when Brian went to the Loosiers for college....

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Lines have Illinois -14.

Vegas does not think much of the Illini, or is pretty high on Evansville.

That's a pretty healthy line. Evansville is a good program in a solid mid-major conference.

It is their first game under a new coach with some roster turnover, we really ought to win. But this is not the usual walkover cupcake opener. An easy victory would be a good sign.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I expect this team to struggle early in the season, especially defending opposing bigs and scoring in the half-court. Evansville has a good big guy and will try to limit our opportunities in transition. I expect this one to be tight throughout, but our backcourt has too much talent to lose to a rebuilding Evansville squad.

Illini - 79
Aces - 67

Lines have Illinois -14.

I actually think Evansville may cover. Look for this to be possibly a close one.

I mean, Evansville is predicted at or near the bottom of the MVC in preseason polls.

I mean, Evansville is predicted at or near the bottom of the MVC in preseason polls.

Evansville predicted to be dead last (10th) and we are predicted at #13, so we can sort of say this game could be the "Battle for the Basement"

I expect this team to struggle early in the season, especially defending opposing bigs and scoring in the half-court. Evansville has a good big guy and will try to limit our opportunities in transition.

Dainius Chatkevicius, is suspended for breaking team rules for first 3 games.

Deleted member 29907

D
Dainius Chatkevicius, is suspended for breaking team rules for first 3 games.
Did Lovie do that? ;)

Should be a solid win - but really depends on how much subbing BU does. Hopefully we're focusing on the top 8-9 until a 20 point lead with 3 to go.

SKane

Tennessee
Illinois should win easily.

In reply to a prior comment, I also recall the river boat gambler that represented the Purple Aces. He was one of the most creative and fun symbols in college sports. His name is Ace Purple and you can still see him at the bottom of the web page posted below.

https://gopurpleaces.com/sports/2007/10/24/GEN_1024075707.aspx

According to an article in Time, here is the history of the team name:

"After Evansville creamed Louisiville during the 1924-1925 basketball season, the losing coach said to his Evansville counterpart, John Harmon, “You didn’t have four Aces up your sleeve, you had five.” Harmon repeated the quote to Dan Scism, the sports editor at the Evansville Courier, saying he preferred it to the team’s original name, the Pioneers. Scism adopted it—with an an ulterior motive: the new name was much easier than the old one to squeeze into headlines."

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/...ide/the-university-of-evansville-purple-aces/

I’ll be at the game. I would guess Underwood utilized maybe 25% of his offense last year. This year i hope to see it at 80%. More pinch post offense, and better ball movement.
Looking forward to see how these guards gel, and if Kip can become the talented player we all see in him.
Looking forward to it.

Yes, McCarty is a Harrison grad. After playing for the Celtics, he coached with Rick Pitino a couple of years at Louisville and then was an assistant with Brad Stevens at Boston. One of his assistants is Todd Lickliter, former Butler and Iowa coach. A great coahcing staff and a lot of Butler influence.

No, not many people are from Dahlgren! My dad graduated from Dahlgren High School (which has been closed for years and years) and at 5'8" was the starting center on the basketball team. :)

Good luck with your new regime after tomorrow. Sounds like the future is bright anyway.
Lines have Illinois -14.

I actually think Evansville may cover. Look for this to be possibly a close one.

Disagree. Illini win going away, 20+.

Yes, McCarty is a Harrison grad. After playing for the Celtics, he coached with Rick Pitino a couple of years at Louisville and then was an assistant with Brad Stevens at Boston. One of his assistants is Todd Lickliter, former Butler and Iowa coach. A great coahcing staff and a lot of Butler influence.

No, not many people are from Dahlgren! My dad graduated from Dahlgren High School (which has been closed for years and years) and at 5'8" was the starting center on the basketball team. :)
My father-in-law always joked he was the valedictorian of a class of 2 at DHS!

Status
Not open for further replies.