Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Illinois vs Georgetown
Tuesday, November 13th
7:30pm CT
FS1

:illinois:

OK, so I'm only saying this because I think it is funny, not because I think it is funny.
After our strong performance tonight, Ken Pom has improved our expectations for the Georgetown game by 1 point.
That just amuses me.

Got the 3 pack of tickets, Georgetown, Wisconsin and Nebraska. All 3 games for $59 and seats are acceptable, not a bad deal.

Free student tickets announced for this game. Need to get those upper 200 levels filled. Just hope the lower 100 level crowd decides to show up or give their tickets to people that would happily use those seats..

Free student tickets announced for this game. Need to get those upper 200 levels filled. Just hope the lower 100 level crowd decides to show up or give their tickets to people that would happily use those seats..

Callin' it now, the arena *looks* full on TV and is loud. And that's all that matters, really. As for the game, I am nervous in a positive way. A win here would be so huge for our confidence going into Maui ... I will keep my fingers crossed, sip some Kool-Aid and predict a 79-72 win.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
10 to 15 point win. Don't think Trent , AJ, Kipper and DMW have forgotten how it feels to lose at home...they are gonna come out focused and sharp, and no one needs to motivate Feliz and Ayo. Plus, I predict 7-10 technical fouls Giorgi draws from the competition this season (of course, he may get one each time as well).

This game should be fun. I've been a die hard Hoya and Illini fan for years and could not be more thrilled that they are meeting in Champaign. I usually have to drive to Indy or Chicago to see the Hoyas play.

Anyway, I think our guard play is vastly superior to theirs as they have James Akinjo at the 1 and youtube phenom Mac McClung at the 2, both are freshman. They're good but they will make a lot freshman mistakes and turn the ball over. At the 3 is Jamorko Pickett a 6'8 sophomore who can knock down shots but struggles to handle the ball. Georgetown as a team turns the ball over quite a bit, which has been a problem under Ewing. Trey Mourning (Yes, Alonzo Mourning's son) started at the 4 last game, but Kaleb Johnson is presumed to step into that role when he's back from injury this weekend. I don't think we match up well inside with Jessie Govan who is a monster 6'10 pre-season All-conference first team candidate. Jahvon Blair, Jagan Mosley, Greg Malinowski, and Josh Leblanc will most likely come off the bench. Blair is sharp shooter but can't handle the ball well. Mosley is a rugged defense player who can knock down an open shot but also struggles with turnovers. Malinowski is a transfer from William & Mary and is a 3 and D guy. Leblanc is a freshman who played well in the season opener with a double double. He may have earned a spot in the starting lineup.

I think we will be able to turn them over based on what I've seen from them and what I've seen from us on defense. I don't think the Hoyas are all that great on D but they do have some guys that can guard and pressure the ball. Offensively it should be a run and gun game. This isn't the old Princeton offense anymore, they like to get as many shots up as possible and get out in transition.

I could go on but this is long enough as it is, now I just have to decide who to root for.

Cant wait to see Ayo/Trent go at McClung....he gets a breakaway though...fogetta bout it!

75-68 win

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Illini 88
Hoyas 71

We turn them over 30 times
Trent,Feliz and Ayo all get 16 + pts
Giorgi dances to a double double then gets ejected for doing a Georgian happy dance in a Hoyas face...
AJ hits all 5 3's he shoots
Tev gets 5 steals and breakaway bunnies

OK, I been nipping at the koolaide pitcher....nice buzz going on

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
This is a really perfect test for us. It's at home, Georgetown isn't all that good, they're bedding in with a new coach too, they shouldn't be able to just run away from us, but they have a stud big guy that we have no obvious answer for. How do we address that challenge?

This is a really perfect test for us. It's at home, Georgetown isn't all that good, they're bedding in with a new coach too, they shouldn't be able to just run away from us, but they have a stud big guy that we have no obvious answer for. How do we address that challenge?

Steal the lunch money from their guards. They have trouble with TOs, so we capitalize on that and win.

jmilt7

Waukegan
This game should be fun. I've been a die hard Hoya and Illini fan for years and could not be more thrilled that they are meeting in Champaign. I usually have to drive to Indy or Chicago to see the Hoyas play.

Anyway, I think our guard play is vastly superior to theirs as they have James Akinjo at the 1 and youtube phenom Mac McClung at the 2, both are freshman. They're good but they will make a lot freshman mistakes and turn the ball over. At the 3 is Jamorko Pickett a 6'8 sophomore who can knock down shots but struggles to handle the ball. Georgetown as a team turns the ball over quite a bit, which has been a problem under Ewing. Trey Mourning (Yes, Alonzo Mourning's son) started at the 4 last game, but Kaleb Johnson is presumed to step into that role when he's back from injury this weekend. I don't think we match up well inside with Jessie Govan who is a monster 6'10 pre-season All-conference first team candidate. Jahvon Blair, Jagan Mosley, Greg Malinowski, and Josh Leblanc will most likely come off the bench. Blair is sharp shooter but can't handle the ball well. Mosley is a rugged defense player who can knock down an open shot but also struggles with turnovers. Malinowski is a transfer from William & Mary and is a 3 and D guy. Leblanc is a freshman who played well in the season opener with a double double. He may have earned a spot in the starting lineup.

I think we will be able to turn them over based on what I've seen from them and what I've seen from us on defense. I don't think the Hoyas are all that great on D but they do have some guys that can guard and pressure the ball. Offensively it should be a run and gun game. This isn't the old Princeton offense anymore, they like to get as many shots up as possible and get out in transition.

I could go on but this is long enough as it is, now I just have to decide who to root for.

Thanks for the info. I figured Georgetown would play slow and try to muck things up considering how much size they have.

They actually played faster last season than us, according to Kenpom’s adjT. I think this is a good thing. Our guards will shine brighter than their bigs if this is a track meet. At least I hope so.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
If our guards and wings play as well as the opener it's lights out GTown. All Giorgi has to do is annoy their big man a little.
I just don't see our guards letting up much.

IL-90
GU-77

If our guards and wings play as well as the opener it's lights out GTown. All Giorgi has to do is annoy their big man a little.
I just don't see our guards letting up much.

IL-90
GU-77

To put a damper on our opener...we won by even more in our first game last year. And we were saying some of the exact same things like “BU put his stamp on this team”, “we are finally fun to watch again”, “this team plays so hard”, etc.

I love being able to play a real opponent early in the year. Either our expectations get tempered real fast, or they suddenly rise a lot higher. Whatever happens, it’s better than watching us beat one of the worst teams in the MVC by 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.