Pregame: Illinois vs Georgetown, Tuesday, November 13th, 7:30pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29907

D
Yup!! The Govan vs Giorgi will tell us a lot as well as the Akinjo vs Ayo matchup. Akinjo got the best of Ayo last year in the Tark Classic. We will see a lot of zone defense. I'm looking for a line of +/- 4 or 5 pts.
Akinjo shooting 22% from the field so far... I'll take Ayo's 57% ;)

Can't wait to see the team for the first time in person at the SFC Tuesday. I had business make me miss the games so far this fall. You can learn a lot more watching in person than watching on TV.

Georgetown, Iowa State, and Arizona are all potential OOC opponents that look beatable. As for Tuesday I predict we play well, almost blow the game late, and Feliz seals it with some late free throws. 86-81 Illini. Still don't think we are a tournament team but starting 2-0 would be so far, so good.

You worry too much. We are a tournament team. These guys are going to surprise a lot of teams and fans!

Think we are going to be better able to judge this recruiting class after the next two games. At this point all very plus to their rankings but need to see against quality competition. Have to remember we were still high on MS after the first few games. Hopefully they make all the competition look bad. Know they are going to have some bad games but hoping for some good surprises also.
Agree Georgetown will be a good test for new guys.

btw... MS is averaging 17PPG and 8RPG for Missouri in first 2 outings. One was a blowout by Iowa St..

Deleted member 29907

D
You worry too much. We are a tournament team. These guys are going to surprise a lot of teams and fans!
I'll have what she's having....

Seriously, hope it goes this way, but it really depends on Adonis' return and contribution. We're going to need a big body in the paint to defend. I am just not sure he's a shot blocker. We got beat off the dribble multiple times last game. Tevian recovered to block his guy and Giorgi helped from the weak side to swat one away. Giorgi is probably the better potential to do that (Egwu-esque shall we say) given his foot speed. Hopefully he'll recognize the need and ability there and we'll see more of that.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Agree Georgetown will be a good test for new guys.

btw... MS is averaging 17PPG and 8RPG for Missouri in first 2 outings. One was a blowout by Iowa St..

giphy (4).gif

The time is " IDKWMSI O'CLOCK "

G6rBo3.gif

Walken : Jimmy, it's IDKWMSI O'CLOCK
Jimmy : But he's averaging
Walken : Wow, I thought you could tell time....WOW

Deleted member 29907

D
I'd give up the swats for the ten rebounds. Blocks excite the fans but many times put the team in bad position for rebounds. Love to see Georgi play Govan even. Then Adonis can become the enforcer on the boards (i.e. Early Black) without worrying about the fouls. There is a particular MSU player I have in mind.
Rebounds are good, but if you're getting blown by for a layup - low odds of a rebound in that case. Two different situations - in one, your helping to defend an easy shot, for the rebound, more likely an outside, mid range shot. Even Giorgi won't rebound a layup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Illinisteve25

Champaign
Wonder what the attendance will be like for tomorrow night? Was presently surprised with the turnout for Evansville.

Yup!! The Govan vs Giorgi will tell us a lot as well as the Akinjo vs Ayo matchup. Akinjo got the best of Ayo last year in the Tark Classic. We will see a lot of zone defense. I'm looking for a line of +/- 4 or 5 pts.

Seems about right. I'm thinking IL -5.5

We were more impressive in our one game, but that's a tiny sample size, and against an inferior team.

We won't match-up well on the inside, but pressure D should be a problem for them. Also, having a young team at home is a big plus for us.

Our guards should be a handful for them on both ends, especially with their weakness for turnovers.

If this game is close....within 5 points under 2 minutes remaining...it will be interesting to see how the team responds to that situation....alot of young players....how do they keep or will they keep their composure in a tight game...also FT....we were 7 of 14 against Evansville....hoping we win but would like to see how they would handle this situation....could tell us a lot about this team and what we can expect down the road

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
If this game is close....within 5 points under 2 minutes remaining...it will be interesting to see how the team responds to that situation....alot of young players....how do they keep or will they keep their composure in a tight game...also FT....we were 7 of 14 against Evansville....hoping we win but would like to see how they would handle this situation....could tell us a lot about this team and what we can expect down the road

thats my main concern if it is close with 3-4 mins to go......but i will still believe in the Illini....

Illini 88
Hoyas 71

I think this is a great point. Over the last few years, I feel like the team has failed to run offense, stick to its scouting report and make sound decisions in crunch time in a lot of games. It drives me crazy watching the team hang in games for 38 minutes and then blow it in the last 2 by going to iso possessions on offense that don’t make the opponent work and giving up easy points on defense after selling out going for steals or over-helping and leaving shooters wide open. I didn’t get to watch as many games last year, so I don’t know if this improved at all with Underwood. Being able to handle these situations is what toughness means to me. Hopefully we exhibit some this year and going forward.

Looking at Adonis De La Rosa 0.6 blocks per game against inferior MAC competition and now coming off an ACL I wouldn't expect alot in that department. He seems more like a space eater who should be able to split time with Giorgi when we need a big man to take up other big bodies rather than against teams where we can space the floor. Curious about whether or not they may speed up his recovery because he will be desperately wanted against Gonzaga's lineup which starts 3 6'8 forwards.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Hope this isn't that tight, but, yes, it'll be very interesting to see how we respond in crunch time. At the risk of stating the obvious, there's an awful lot of room for improvement there.

Tempering many expectations until after Maui, but this team exceeded my expectations against Evansville. Excited for this game, should be a good test, their big man is something we will see multiple times this year. If Giorgi can contain him, this team can go far. If not, we better hope Kane/Adonis can add something different/better. So far, the latter doesn't seem to be overly important, but of course, Evansville is in a different stratosphere wrt to GT.

Dan

Admin
Brad Underwood press conference
https://twitter.com/DPiper247

Underwood: Adonis is "getting closer". He's got to continue to push through the layoff. He's been impressive. He's doing some good things.

Underwood: Samba and Alan will be available tomorrow night. TBD on Adonis.

Underwood: Couple things that really stood out against Evansville. Trent Frazier.. 7 assists and no turnovers. Thought it was his best game as a floor general.

Underwood: I think Giorgi is an outstanding post defender. Great covering ball screens. Didn't miss a coverage defensively.

Underwood: Da'Monte Williams did some good things as well. That's a good sign for our bench.

Underwood: We had 45 points in under 7 seconds. That's a good number.

Georgetown is very good. Govan in the middle is a legit pro prospect. One of the most efficient bigs I've seen.

Underwood: Excited for our fans for this game against Georgetown.

Georgetown has also shot the three really well in their first two games.

Underwood: Govan is maybe as good of a big as we'll see all season long.

Last edited:

breadman

Herndon, VA
Really good stuff from these guys. Love to hear these interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.