Pregame: Illinois vs Gonzaga, Monday, November 19th, 10:30pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to take the author seriously given the grammar...
Gonzaga is currently a 17.5 point favorite over Texas A&M. I believe the line on the Illinois vs
Gonzaga game will be Gonzaga favored by close to 20 points.

Pardon me all over the place! Bet you’re a hoot to hang out with on the weekends.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
There are no roads to Hawaii.

TemptingFrigidDeer-size_restricted.gif

I live in Spokane so watch the Zags quite a bit. Their front court is definitely one of the most athletic in the country with Rui Hachimura and Brandon Clarke. We will have no answer for them. Their passing is crazy good and all 5 starters can create their own shots or assists. Great team and probably one of the best I’ve seen the 20 years I have been here.

Yeah, IMO this is a guaranteed loss. Zags are an elite team, FF caliber, and we match up quite poorly against them. That said, I still think this is a very important game. Having a test this hard, this early, for a young team could be an eye-opener, and give them a sense of purpose despite a beatdown. If they can rise up over the course of the season to see what elite looks like, it could help them develop. And should the unthinkable happen, it would be a huge resume boost.

Deleted member 29907

D
Gonzaga is currently a 17.5 point favorite over Texas A&M. I believe the line on the Illinois vs
Gonzaga game will be Gonzaga favored by close to 20 points.

Pardon me all over the place! Bet you’re a hoot to hang out with on the weekends.
Didn't mean to offend, I should have used a smiley/winkey face after my post. Good to see Trent is on the trip, and it looks like A&M has a few key players injured which may have affected the line (let's hope so) and lets hope we can compete - they've got a two timezones advantage on us. ;)

And if truth be told, I am pretty boring on weekends - sporting events/games or honey-do list - eek.

Anyone here on Maui already? Lots of fans about.

It amazes me that most of you have watched college basketball for many years and still say things like "guaranteed loss" and "no chance we win". College basketball is wild, nothing is guaranteed.

Any game played outside the SFC is a road game...neutral site, yes....road game, yes

Well technically yeah, but a game at a high school size gym in Maui is nothing compared to a true road game in Bloomington for example. There will be plenty of Illini fans in Maui. Good experience for the youngsters regardless. But doesn't really prepare them for some of the hostile environments they will face in the future.

Deleted member 645583

D
No predictions here. But it's an honor to be invited to Maui. When was the last time? I'll look it up in my handy-dandy Illini media guide, unless you beat me to it.

Hope Trent is feeling a lot better. And Ayo: what a guy - so pro-Illinois. And Coach, too. His dream job, he's said. Or coach has hinted. Just want to add that I wasn't TOO disappointed with loss against Georgetown. I think we've got some talented players with a talented coach who's going after his kind of players. Illinois has handled Godzilla before. Do it again.

Gonzaga, I mean. Sorry.

It amazes me that most of you have watched college basketball for many years and still say things like "guaranteed loss" and "no chance we win". College basketball is wild, nothing is guaranteed.

I think you're taking it too literally. How about I say my expectation is a loss. Or how about this - I expect the line to be IL +16, and I think that's warranted given how good the Zags are this year. Or how about, I'll be thrilled to see us hang with them all the way to the finish.

Better?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Or coach has hinted. Just want to add that I wasn't TOO disappointed with loss against Georgetown. I think we've got some talented players with a talented coach who's going after his kind of players. Illinois has handled Godzilla before. Do it again.

Gonzaga, I mean. Sorry.

giphy.gif

dish3

Seattle
Last IL game I attended was a beatdown of the Zags in Seattle in 2010.... gonna be cheering loudly from behind the basket on Mon... this team has some electricity and heart, and I'm so enthused to watch them in action!

Deleted member 645583

D
But concussions, if not properly diagnosed and treated, can lead to far more serious things. Most of us who have played contact sports have had our bells rung a few times. And most of us, thank God, show no ill effects. But some do. So the protocol, to me, is the way to go. Trent, go slow.

I think you're taking it too literally. How about I say my expectation is a loss. Or how about this - I expect the line to be IL +16, and I think that's warranted given how good the Zags are this year. Or how about, I'll be thrilled to see us hang with them all the way to the finish.

Better?

Perfect, lol. In the back of my mind I am more optimistic simply because we have dominated the Zags in the past 10 or so years. Obviously that means nothing to these 2 teams. But if the Illini pull off another upset or even come close, I am certain the Zags have some sort of curse against us.

Deleted member 645583

D
Yes!
Last IL game I attended was a beatdown of the Zags in Seattle in 2010.... gonna be cheering loudly from behind the basket on Mon... this team has some electricity and heart, and I'm so enthused to watch them in action!

Yes!

I'm not predicting an Illini win, but just play a great game, men. That's all you have to do! Simple, win or lose. I think 99% of us are cheerimg for you. Go Illiinoisans!

Last edited by a moderator:
No predictions here. But it's an honor to be invited to Maui. When was the last time? I'll look it up in my handy-dandy Illini media guide, unless you beat me to it.

Hope Trent is feeling a lot better. And Ayo: what a guy - so pro-Illinois. And Coach, too. His dream job, he's said. Or coach has hinted. Just want to add that I wasn't TOO disappointed with loss against Georgetown. I think we've got some talented players with a talented coach who's going after his kind of players. Illinois has handled Godzilla before. Do it again.

Gonzaga, I mean. Sorry.

Last Maui trip was 2012. Groce's first year. We actually played @Hawaii a couple nights before and won on a buzzer beater. DJ Richardson I'm pretty sure. Then we put on a show in Maui. Dominated USC, Chaminade, and Butler to win the whole thing. Someone who is better at linking youtube videos should put up highlights. Not only did we win, but we did so in fashion.

Deleted member 746094

D

Thank you!!! Major upsets are not reserved for the month of March. I watch a lot of college basketball and I don’t typically drink kool aid of any color so, yes, we would definitely have to play our best and catch them on an off night to knock them off. These are 18 to 22 year olds. Nothing is guaranteed. Probable, but not guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.