Pregame: Illinois vs Indiana, Sunday, January 18th, 12:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, he's finally bulked up enough to push just about anyone around in the post.

Can't believe it's been 26 years since

Shot at 2:19.

Hell of a pass from Bardo too.

God we were good.
First time I saw NA was at IMPE before classes started his freshman year. In a game on the old court under the running track, I was the only one back on D, with him coming at me full speed. I thought I was doing OK, muscling him outside the lane - then he EXPLODED to the hoop with a tomahawk slam - you can still see the GNIDLAPS tattoo on my forehead. His vertical was impossible.

Bloomington
All of the Hoosiers want Yogi guarding Hill...

Sure, let them do that. If Hill can knock down 3s over Maryland's center, I'm extremely confident he can shoot over Yogi.

All of the Hoosiers want Yogi guarding Hill...

Sure, let them do that. If Hill can knock down 3s over Maryland's center, I'm extremely confident he can shoot over Yogi.
Who do you think would guard Nunn? If it's Blackmon, I'd be pretty happy.

I'm thinking it's going to be..
Johnson on Hill
Yogi on Nunn
Williams on Egwu
Blackmon On Tate
Hartman on Cosby

Could we throw a lineup of Tate, Hill, Black, Egwu, and Morgan for just a minute or two, just for fun?

Admin

Groce: Felt good about how we ended our road swing. Happy that we were able to dig one out at Northwestern.

Groce: Guys were disappointed in how we played defensively. Things we can clean up and will clean up.

Groce: Offensively it was one of our best performances of the year. Shot well, screened well, moved without ball well.

Groce: Offensively, Indiana provides a lot of problems with their personnel. Smaller team but it makes them fast in transition.

Groce: We've changed quite a bit without Rice. We've been a chameleon a little bit. Good programs have an ability to do that.

Groce: Had to be adaptable, willing to adjust. Helps when you have captain with leadership like Egwu. Rallies and connects our guys.

Groce: Cosby never took a charge at Seton Hall, has taken several here. Digs out rebounds for us.

Groce: Cosby has learned that there's more to the game than shot-making. But getting some go through should breed confidence.

Groce: We need a crowd. Fans sensed that last time (vs. Maryland). They were phenomenal. We need them tomorrow to be our sixth man.

Groce: Our job as a staff is to try to take the guys and get the absolute most out of them and win basketball games.

Groce: Worked dilligently to put things together. Staff has done a great job adjusting.

Groce: We've played some good teams with good backcourts, Indiana is right up there with Blackmon and Ferrell.

Groce: They've had other guys fill in for Parea. It's all you can do as a coach. They play small lineup anyway.

Groce: Leron's been really good. Great practice today. Fewer and fewer mistakes everyday. Understanding more of what he needs to do.

Groce: I'm expecting big things from Black moving forward, this year and beyond that.

Groce: Nunn's been pretty aggressive throughout season. Got in a groove the other night. Morgan's screening was unbelievable.

Groce: So many things go into a quality shot. Our guys did a lot of those little things well on Wednesday.

Groce asked by @MarkTupper if this is the best FT shooting team he's had. "You trying to jinx us, Tupp? Don't do that."

Groce: Keys to finishing are taking care of the ball and getting to the line and knocking them in.

Groce: Nunn always plays the right way. He's won gold medals, state titles. He's a winner. Played with, against great players.

Groce: Main thing is I want Nunn to be confident and aggressive to make play team needs him to make to win. Did that other night.

Groce: Starks has been solid defensively. Thrown his body around more than I thought he would.

Groce on so few TOs: One thing we have done very consistently at extremely high level nationally. That's who we are.

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU

Interesting quotes.

Nunn singled out for being a winner. Groce is big on having guys from "programs" in the locker room. Exceptional players who have never won or learned what goes into winning....don't seem to be on his radar as much as guys with rings in building a program.

Quality shots referred to and what goes into them. Pretty sure this is getting airplay in film and meetings.

Talked about Cosby's overall game as well as shooting. Good. Easy for a player to get excited about the shooting facet and forget the defensive effort (and charges taken)

And last....rewarding Mav for setting those screens.................Hmmmm perhaps he does read the board.

Kirksville, MO
Made me think back to the Nick Collison "highlight" video that's out there somewhere in cyberspace.
Nothing but screens and charges.

Decatur, IL
We may have bad shooting nights but taking care of the ball and making free throws can win us any game. There is only a few teams better at either one but I dont know if any team is better at both than we are.

Looks like Stanford Robinson is going to be that guy. I haven't seen his name mentioned in this thread. The sophomore can do it all just like the other Hoosier guards, and I expect a little more tic for Robinson with the injury to HMP.

It has been said before, but Black shoots that baseline 15ft jumper as good as the Rev and Augie. He'll be key in slowing down the freak athlete Troy Williams.

Last edited:
Looks like Stanford Robinson is going to be that guy. I haven't seen his name mentioned in this thread. The sophomore can do it all just like the other Hoosier guards, and I expect a little more tic for Robinson with the injury to HMP.

It has been said before, but Black shoots that baseline 15ft jumper as good as the Rev and Augie. He'll be key in slowing down the freak athlete Troy Williams.
Robinson can't shoot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Black play the 5 for a little bit in this one. If he's playing well then Groce might let him slide over and take some of Morgan's minutes.

Robinson can't shoot.
He's not the best, but let's not leave him open. He is better at driving and drawing fouls. He's struggled with his role this season because of the additions of Blackmon and Johnson after starting a lot as a true freshman.

Kirksville, MO
We may have bad shooting nights but taking care of the ball and making free throws can win us any game. There is only a few teams better at either one but I dont know if any team is better at both than we are.
How will we get to the line?

Their offense hasn't been nearly as potent in the past few games. I think our guys are in good enough condition to keep up with them for the entire game, especially if Egwu stays out of foul trouble, but it would benefit us to slow it down quite a bit. They'll play slower as well with Holt now that HMP is out.
Were gonna have trouble slowing it down if we keep shooting so many jumpers
long rebounds-->fast breaks----->L for the Illinois

New York
Illinois vs Indiana, Sunday, January 18th, 12:00pm CT, BTN

Were gonna have trouble slowing it down if we keep shooting so many jumpers

long rebounds-->fast breaks----->L for the Illinois

Yup, especially important this game that Starks doesn't chuck. That's a turnover for TD

Nice to get offensive rebounds but Guys are going to have to get back without fouling. Will be challenging.

I think IU has no choice but to double team Egwu. Which means Starks is going to have to play a big roll in this game. IU will be forced to help off a shooter, and if they don't double team then Egwu needs to have a big day.

Status
Not open for further replies.