Pregame: Illinois vs Indiana, Sunday, March 1st, 1:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
No place really to post this, so I'll stick it here...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we win out (the regular season), that puts Underwood at .500 for his Illinois career, right? After last year I didn't think he'd be sniffing .500 this season.

It's interesting how quickly things can change. Obviously prior to Underwood's Illini tenure, he looked like the real deal. After his first two seasons in Champaign, he looked like he was in over his head. Now after this year, looking at the big picture of his career as a coach, he looks like the real deal again.

I want Giorgi to take every open look from 3 that he has. His shooting percentage would probably go up and he gets the bonus point as well. Maybe if he made a few from 3, the bunnies would start to look easier for him. He has made 30% of his threes, so not giving up much for him to do so.
So, does Indiana.

This Indiana game has had me concerned for some time. They are so unpredictable when it comes to energy and hot shooting. If they have both, they are almost unbeatable. But having both on the road is a tough thing to capture. Just hoping they don't and the Illini bring high energy on defense for 40 minutes.

If PSU and MSU lose today and we take care of business we will be sitting at number 2, WHAT A FEELING

Last edited:

201154JC

Rockford, IL
I remember we were interested in hiring him after the Groce fiasco but he thought he was too good for what he perceived as our lowly program at the time
That's why we gotta whip their !!!. Wanna see baby face all squished up! Hell, maybe he and the assistant will duke it out! lol

This Indiana game has had me concerned for some time. They are so unpredictable when it comes to energy and hot shooting. If they have both, they are almost unbeatable. But having both on the road is a tough thing to capture. Just hoping they don't and the Illini bring high energy on defense for 40 minutes.
They shot 25% v Purdue Thursday! They have been pretty bad on the road.

azillini1

Scottsdale
This is a big game with MSU beating Maryland. Too bad Minny couldn't hold on early in the week or we would be tied for 1st in the loss column. We should win this one.

This is a big game with MSU beating Maryland. Too bad Minny couldn't hold on early in the week or we would be tied for 1st in the loss column. We should win this one.
If AG can stretch the floor, Illinois will be very tough to beat.

I feel we match up good to IU. Kofi should be a major problem for Davis. I feel like we win by 10 plus. The last two are gonna be tough but one at a time.

Last edited:
Indiana, got whooped again by Purdue. I expect they will play with lot of energy and intensity. Will they shoot well, hopefully not. Gotta play 3point line on Green even though he runs hot and cold. I'd try not to let him catch and shoot, stay close. Jackson, is tough down low.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
I know this team is different, and this year is different, but with all the hype of the game, the stripe the stadium, big ten title hope's still alive, and a bunch of high level recruits in town, this usually when we come out and lay an egg. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm still recovering from the last decade.

I know this team is different, and this year is different, but with all the hype of the game, the stripe the stadium, big ten title hope's still alive, and a bunch of high level recruits in town, this usually when we come out and lay an egg. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm still recovering from the last decade.
Unfortunately there's a lot of truth there. But so long as we avoid turnovers and missed bunnies in the first couple possessions, I think we'll be fine. And hit an early dunk or trey, and maybe we'll redo the Purdue game.

I remember we were interested in hiring him after the Groce fiasco but he thought he was too good for what he perceived as our lowly program at the time
There was never any chance of that. He and Groce are buddies. If Whitman had interest he never tried.

Here's a bit of good news from 247...

"The Illini are still a young team. KenPom lists the Illini as the 225th most-experienced team among 353 Division-I teams."

Good days ahead.

Great statistic. Highly encouraging stuff.

Great statistic. Highly encouraging stuff.

It is good stuff now, and possibly in the future as well, as it shows the staff can get young men to buy in and execute to a high level while getting stronger and better.

That said, dependent on who stays/who goes, we may always be somewhere in this range, lets hope all new incoming players can also get stronger and learn quickly while getting better., otherwise, this number may not always be a good guage for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.